MT-82 Transmission Additive Update - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 269 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

MT-82 Transmission Additive Update

I have put about 250 miles on my car since adding the XL-18 additive to my MT-82. The transmission is still shifting flawlessly.
For those that didnít read the original thread board member JAJ5Point0 diligently dug out the 2013 Motorcraft Transmission Fluid chart which mentioned (note 6) an additive (XL-18) that should be added to the MT-82 transmission. I seem to be the first one to try it and the results have been nothing short of phenomenal.
Prior to this I had installed the Barton two post bracket (it helped a little) and switched to Redline (it helped a little). With the new information from JAJ I switched back to the stock dual clutch fluid and added the 0.9 oz of XL-18.
The results have been amazing. The notchiness is gone Ė the gear nibble is gone. On a cold morning I can shift directly into second like butter where before I had to leave second out of the shifting pattern for 10 minutes.
I would assume (and correct me if Iím wrong) that if you are still running the stock tranny fluid all you would have to do is dump the additive in Ė since itís only 0.9 oz I canít image you would have to drain any existing fluid but once again Iíll leave that to the gear heads.
I would really like to hear from some more members that have tried this additive so I donít think this is just an anomaly.

Harvey

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3884.JPG
Views:	1840
Size:	806.2 KB
ID:	260802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3885.JPG
Views:	1878
Size:	770.9 KB
ID:	260810  

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Thanks also for the pictures/part number. I use the CHE-K member with torque arms to help with motor/tranny alignment and have had no shifting issues without this additive, using the stock trans fluid, but I live sunny California so "really cold" issues don't bother my tranny.

Banned

where can it be purchased

post #4 of 269 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistid View Post
where can it be purchased
My mechanic had to special order it from Motorcraft - at first they were clueless and Ford is still clueless.

Harvey

PONY Member

my ford service manager just e mailed me - they have it on order - took 2 weeks for them to figure out what I was talking about - the pictures really helped thanks
Apprentice

After reading the posts on MT-18; I went to the local ford dealer and inquired about MT-18 for my MT_82 trnny--I was told that MT-18 is only for differentials, not trannies. So, I am confused about how thi stuff works in the tranny when it is for the diff.. This whole thread is confusing--Is there 2 different MT-18's? I doubt it but it sounds like there is. Why do some guys use it and not others?--Even the Ford reps say different things..
Another thing: if this additive is so good for the acheing MT-82 transmission, why isn't it pushed by Ford--It seems like they (Ford) wou do anything to get rid of al the complaints about the MT-82 tranny. So can anybody really step up and give me the level scoop on this subject??
Don't mean to be a pia. but trying to satisfy my own mind of whats good and what can harm my car..
post #7 of 269 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpsht3 View Post
After reading the posts on MT-18; I went to the local ford dealer and inquired about MT-18 for my MT_82 trnny--I was told that MT-18 is only for differentials, not trannies. So, I am confused about how thi stuff works in the tranny when it is for the diff.. This whole thread is confusing--Is there 2 different MT-18's? I doubt it but it sounds like there is. Why do some guys use it and not others?--Even the Ford reps say different things..
Another thing: if this additive is so good for the acheing MT-82 transmission, why isn't it pushed by Ford--It seems like they (Ford) wou do anything to get rid of al the complaints about the MT-82 tranny. So can anybody really step up and give me the level scoop on this subject??
Don't mean to be a pia. but trying to satisfy my own mind of whats good and what can harm my car..
First of all you a quoting the wrong part number - the additive is XL-18 not MT-18 (see the images I provided).

Harvey

GT Member

whats the cost for a bottle? I have redline in there now, so Ill have to switch to the QDC dual clutch fluid, which that **** expensive!

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
PONY Member

my dealer quoted me 34 per bottle and it is for transmission for sure as listed on the bottle

also it is pretty new - I would guess ford has done the research since it is listed under a ford part number
post #10 of 269 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
whats the cost for a bottle? I have redline in there now, so Ill have to switch to the QDC dual clutch fluid, which that **** expensive!
The XL-18 cost me about $39 but replacing the Redline with the stock dual clutch fluid cost about another $100.

Harvey

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
I have put about 250 miles on my car since adding the XL-18 additive to my MT-82. The transmission is still shifting flawlessly.
For those that didnít read the original thread board member JAJ5Point0 diligently dug out the 2013 Motorcraft Transmission Fluid chart which mentioned (note 6) an additive (XL-18) that should be added to the MT-82 transmission. I seem to be the first one to try it and the results have been nothing short of phenomenal.
Prior to this I had installed the Barton two post bracket (it helped a little) and switched to Redline (it helped a little). With the new information from JAJ I switched back to the stock dual clutch fluid and added the 0.9 oz of XL-18.
The results have been amazing. The notchiness is gone Ė the gear nibble is gone. On a cold morning I can shift directly into second like butter where before I had to leave second out of the shifting pattern for 10 minutes.
I would assume (and correct me if Iím wrong) that if you are still running the stock tranny fluid all you would have to do is dump the additive in Ė since itís only 0.9 oz I canít image you would have to drain any existing fluid but once again Iíll leave that to the gear heads.
I would really like to hear from some more members that have tried this additive so I donít think this is just an anomaly.

Harvey
I have the owners guide for my 2013 Mustang GT which is the 2nd printing and I don't see anything in the Technical Specifications calling out for the XL-18 additive so I am a little confused. Can somebody post a pdf or a picture of 2013 Motorcraft Transmission Fluid chart?

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member

You can ignore my previous reply. I found the chart in the original post.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member

What if i don't have the factory fill but another brand, you talking about draining that refilling with ford stuff just put that .9 oz in?

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #14 of 269 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
What if i don't have the factory fill but another brand, you talking about draining that refilling with ford stuff just put that .9 oz in?
I'm certainly not a chemist - I'm only reporting what I did and what the results were for me.

Harvey

Sean Reilly

This is Great Info for those of us with the 3 Pedal Stangs!!.......Thanks for the info and Pics. Harvey

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page