2011-2014 Mustang lower control arm noise TSB's. - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Any aftermarket options if you're out of warranty or don't want to keep getting the bum parts from ford?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GLD
Apprentice

I have a 2012 GT and took it in this week for the LCA TSB finally. I started to hear the noise not long after I bought the car in 2011 but figured I'd wait a few TSBs for the final fix...All this said anyone notice tighter steering feel after the repair. Mine is like night and day. Much much better. Makes me wonder two things 1) how is this really possible with electronic steering 2) I screwed myself out of a lot of enjoyment if this is how my car should feel and should have done the TSB repair a year ago.

Gary

Apprentice

Two weeks into owning my 2012 GT I started noticing this when going over speed bumps or pulling in the driveway. I called my Ford dealership and they said to bring the car in and they will determine what it is and then order the parts (I even offered to give them the TSB number). They said it would take 2 days to fix and that they would not give me a loaner, but that my warranty may pay for a rental. I'm very skeptical of the warranty paying for a rental and I don't understand why they can't just order the parts and have them on hand when I drop it off. This is my only car and I have next Friday through Monday off so it can't take longer than that to fix. Thinking about bringing it in Monday to have them determine what is wrong and having them order the parts then take it back Friday to drop it off and have the work done.

I'm also kind of worried about the dealership in my area doing the work. I've heard not so good things about them, but to have it fixed I may not have much of a choice.

Rookie

Unhappy

Hey folks. New here. Was researching problems with 2011 5.0 and found this site. Looks like there is a lot of info on here.

general info: 2011 5.0, 31230 miles, original owner, flowmaster hush power axle back only non factory item.

About 2 weeks ago I had rear diff bearings replaced under warranty and mentioned the creaking over bumps mostly when its cooler or cold out and they confirmed and replaced both LCA's and shields. Its listed as TSB 13-9-3. Don't know whether that's a dealer code or what not. I was already leary of my particular dealer service after an incident in which service said the vibration I was feeling was from my exhaust not out of balance tire or alignment. Vibration went almost all away after rotating tires front to back.

Any how the ride home seemed like front noise was fixed but it was warm and I dont really remember any bumps. Parked it, went out of town and when I got back the second time I drove it over a few speed bumps and it is worse than before. Outside temp was 43. I definitely don't have a warm fuzzy about this car anymore. I have a much older DD that makes less noise.

The dealer service dept was courteous and professional and I got a rental at no charge for the week however I have concerns as to whether this issue is a service tech fault or Ford parts. Which also leaves me uneasy about the rear bearing replacement. Whether its the service or Ford parts I am very unsatisfied with Ford at this point.

TLDR: LCA's replaced still making awful creak over bumps. Not sure whether dealer service or Ford's fault, not happy with either right now.
Rookie

Warranty covered

My front lower control arms were creaking somewhere between 15k and 20k miles. I took it to the dealer and they called back that afternoon and said my car was ready and they replaced both control arms at no charge. They weren't specific about where the defect was but sounded like it was common enough that they were familiar with the issue. I'm now at 37k and I haven't had any issues with the replacement parts.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by link182ps2 View Post
Two weeks into owning my 2012 GT I started noticing this when going over speed bumps or pulling in the driveway. I called my Ford dealership and they said to bring the car in and they will determine what it is and then order the parts (I even offered to give them the TSB number)...
Was this taken care of for you, link182ps2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytrotter View Post
Hey folks. New here. Was researching problems with 2011 5.0 and found this site. Looks like there is a lot of info on here.
general info: 2011 5.0, 31230 miles, original owner, flowmaster hush power axle back only non factory item.

About 2 weeks ago I had rear diff bearings replaced under warranty and mentioned the creaking over bumps mostly when its cooler or cold out and they confirmed and replaced both LCA's and shields....

TLDR: LCA's replaced still making awful creak over bumps. Not sure whether dealer service or Ford's fault, not happy with either right now.
Hello greytrotter,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and Id like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Was this taken care of for you, link182ps2?

It hasn't been taken care of yet. I am trying to find the time to get off work to go to the dealership. I don't trust the one in my city so I plan to drive to Lagrange in January. The dealership in Opelika ran my VIN though and said that my car was not part of the TSB. 2012 Mustang GT. Seems like it fits in the category to me.

Thank you for your assistance and concern.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by link182ps2 View Post
It hasn't been taken care of yet. I am trying to find the time to get off work to go to the dealership. I don't trust the one in my city so I plan to drive to Lagrange in January. The dealership in Opelika ran my VIN though and said that my car was not part of the TSB. 2012 Mustang GT. Seems like it fits in the category to me.

Thank you for your assistance and concern.
I understand, link182ps2. Once you make an appointment be sure to PM me.

Deysha
Rookie

Sorry for ranting but I am beyond pissed. I was doing some research on my crappy dealer experience and saw this thread. Hopefully someone can find my post useful; stay away from Jordan Ford.

Ford service, what an oxymoron. I have been to two different dealerships and had nothing but issues. Red McCombs told me I would need to bring it back, then when I bring it back it was colder and not making the noise. The rep said she couldn't do anything about it so I was not thrilled about trying them again. I brought my car to Jordan in mid august, I made the service writer ride with me, showed him the noise, and my car sits in their lot for 2 weeks and when I call them they tell me "Good thing you made me ride with you because when the shop foreman drove it he did not hear anything. The parts are on back order, we will order you a set but it wont be in until mid September." He told me I needed to come pick it up and they would call me mid September. So no one calls and early December I call them and set up an appointment for December 26th. On the 26th in the AM I call to make sure everything is ready to go, but they tell me I don't have an appointment. The rep told me to bring it in anyway. I talked to the service writer on Monday and he tells me the shop foreman can not hear the noise so they are not going to do it! I argue with him for a minute and asked him why I waited for 3 months if they were not going to do the TSB and he caved and said he will do it and the work should be done Tuesday night. At 6 he calls me and says the parts are not in and the car wont be ready until Thursday morning.

Thank you Ford as now I have to walk to work Thursday morning.

Jordan ford has had my car for almost a month and they haven't done a thing to it except replace a tail light. Correct me if I'm wrong but the TSB is only 2 hours.

Compare this with my Acura I traded in; squeek from right rear suspension, they replace everything from the strut mount down, have the work done in 2 days, and put me in a loaner all while working around my high end stereo.

This grunt isn't even the main thing that is scaring me, as I also brought it in the first time because the clutch was grabbing violently, tech said it was fine (and the violent engagement went away) and now the car has a clicking sound when in gear, but of course the shop foreman says he doesn't hear anything. Maybe the shop foreman needs a hearing aid. If I was a wagering man I would put money on a broken clutch spring as it only makes the sound while in gear. First time I brought it in it had 15k miles, now it has 20k miles, I wonder if their goal is just to keep pushing it out until its not under warranty.

I recorded the grunt and posted to youtube cause I was sure the dealership would say they couldn't hear anything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJh...e_gdata_player

When or if I get my car back, I'll record the clicking sound too.

This experience is making me think long and hard about buying my wife a Ford SUV when her accord retires.

Sorry I'm done.
Rookie

That video is exactly what mine does. My problem is that I didn't know the car had lowering springs installed from the previous owner (didn't know this and dealer didn't tell me) until the service rep told me. The are replacing the right front control arm under TSB, but have stated the warranty is void for the suspension since the lowering springs were installed. This means since the sound is coming from the left front I will have to replace it on my own. This on a car with 13k miles. Can't win on a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk12gt View Post
Sorry for ranting but I am beyond pissed. I was doing some research on my crappy dealer experience and saw this thread. Hopefully someone can find my post useful; stay away from Jordan Ford.

Ford service, what an oxymoron. I have been to two different dealerships and had nothing but issues. Red McCombs told me I would need to bring it back, then when I bring it back it was colder and not making the noise. The rep said she couldn't do anything about it so I was not thrilled about trying them again. I brought my car to Jordan in mid august, I made the service writer ride with me, showed him the noise, and my car sits in their lot for 2 weeks and when I call them they tell me "Good thing you made me ride with you because when the shop foreman drove it he did not hear anything. The parts are on back order, we will order you a set but it wont be in until mid September." He told me I needed to come pick it up and they would call me mid September. So no one calls and early December I call them and set up an appointment for December 26th. On the 26th in the AM I call to make sure everything is ready to go, but they tell me I don't have an appointment. The rep told me to bring it in anyway. I talked to the service writer on Monday and he tells me the shop foreman can not hear the noise so they are not going to do it! I argue with him for a minute and asked him why I waited for 3 months if they were not going to do the TSB and he caved and said he will do it and the work should be done Tuesday night. At 6 he calls me and says the parts are not in and the car wont be ready until Thursday morning.

Thank you Ford as now I have to walk to work Thursday morning.

Jordan ford has had my car for almost a month and they haven't done a thing to it except replace a tail light. Correct me if I'm wrong but the TSB is only 2 hours.

Compare this with my Acura I traded in; squeek from right rear suspension, they replace everything from the strut mount down, have the work done in 2 days, and put me in a loaner all while working around my high end stereo.

This grunt isn't even the main thing that is scaring me, as I also brought it in the first time because the clutch was grabbing violently, tech said it was fine (and the violent engagement went away) and now the car has a clicking sound when in gear, but of course the shop foreman says he doesn't hear anything. Maybe the shop foreman needs a hearing aid. If I was a wagering man I would put money on a broken clutch spring as it only makes the sound while in gear. First time I brought it in it had 15k miles, now it has 20k miles, I wonder if their goal is just to keep pushing it out until its not under warranty.

I recorded the grunt and posted to youtube cause I was sure the dealership would say they couldn't hear anything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJh...e_gdata_player

When or if I get my car back, I'll record the clicking sound too.

This experience is making me think long and hard about buying my wife a Ford SUV when her accord retires.

Sorry I'm done.

2013 GT Premium, Black, Brembo brakes, Short throw shifter, Lowering springs, GT500 Exhaust, 3.73 gears, K&N Filter, White Stallion Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Upper Panhard Bar Brace.
Rookie

So I took the car back to the dealer and finally got some relief. The Service manager told me the other manager stated the wrong side when he told me which side they were replacing. They replaced the noisy side and now I have no more problems. The replacement included the heat shield also. This was great news to me when I picked the car up.

2013 GT Premium, Black, Brembo brakes, Short throw shifter, Lowering springs, GT500 Exhaust, 3.73 gears, K&N Filter, White Stallion Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Upper Panhard Bar Brace.
Rookie

I had my 2014 GT in for this same issue and to adjust the trunk lid so it would shut right. They fixed the trunk, but told me that since it only had a little over 1,000 miles that it wasn't broke in yet and the noise may go away. Huh??? I am going to take it in for the first oil change at a little over 2,000 miles. I may go to my selling dealership and see if they can do better. Unfortunately, they are clear across town and the one I went to first is walking distance from my job. Does anyone know if the TSB covers 2014 as well?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2014GT View Post
I had my 2014 GT in for this same issue and to adjust the trunk lid so it would shut right. They fixed the trunk, but told me that since it only had a little over 1,000 miles that it wasn't broke in yet and the noise may go away. Huh??? I am going to take it in for the first oil change at a little over 2,000 miles. I may go to my selling dealership and see if they can do better. Unfortunately, they are clear across town and the one I went to first is walking distance from my job. Does anyone know if the TSB covers 2014 as well?
It does, had mine replaced last week.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
PONY Member

Just went out to check under the hood and it looks like they put in the new LCA's but did not install the heat shields that are supposed to protect them. wtf.

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
Apprentice

After a long absence from the forum, I'm back to further enjoy my 5.0 and troubleshoot some issues. I posted in another thread that I was experiencing a clunking after pulling into the driveway... So happy I randomly clicked into this thread! I am getting an oil change/tire rotation/alignment next week, and I will bring up this new problem to the dealership's attention. I have 37,xxx miles, so is there anything I need to specifically say to them aside from mentioning the problem? Thanks in advance!

-- A Tribute to Ridiculous Signatures -- 2011 Mustang GT -- Performance White -- Charcoal Black Leather -- Borla S-Type Exhaust -- FRPP Boss Gauge Pod -- Boss Steering Wheel -- V6PP 19" Rims -- Sh!t Ton of Wheel Locks -- Viper Paging Alarm -- Baseball Bat -- GT500 Splash Guards -- :hihi:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page