2011-2014 Mustang lower control arm noise TSB's. - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
OX1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighsayer11 View Post
They had replaced the LCA's with the newest revision, installed the brackets for the heatshields but didn't install the heatshields. I noticed it a couple of weeks after the TSB was performed. Waited until my oil change 3 weeks later to take it back to them.

For those of you interested I've attached the TSB, that has the part numbers.
Thanks!!. Looks like those shields are mounted to small tabs that are not on the original hold down bracket of the stock arms. They are still workable for me, by welding tabs on the edges to hold them down with the main two attachment bolts. Wonder if ford can order just the shields, will try to find out today.

EDIT: Ordered them today from local dealer, $9.33 each, will be in tomorrow.

Last edited by OX1; 09-11-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I had the fortunate timing to deal with this on my 2012. I would highly recommend upgrading them. www.whiteline.com.au offers a vast amount of suspension products for the mustang platform. Most of us are driving our cars hard anyways if we are not on the track.

2007 Mustang GT/CS Sponsored by Trufiber , Whiteline, Cipherauto, 3D HD Carcare, RJ Coatings, Alameda Park, San diego auto body and paint, San diego tire and wheel. President/Founder Of "HEADLESS HORSEMEN"
Apprentice

I too have a clunk when going over a bump. She only has 6,500 miles on her. . Took the car to the dealer, showed them the TSB, ( thanks guys,), and they confirmed the problem, and ordered the part. Thank you all one again.

2012 GT

2012 Mustang GT
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited
1989 Supra Turbo

Apprentice

Just to follow up on my #108 post above, the dealer confirmed the left side LCA needed changing,but they changed both sides with the heat shields and parts. No more clunking.

I found out about the TSB from this forums - Tks much!

2012 Mustang GT
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited
1989 Supra Turbo
Rookie

wow good deal there, most of the time the dealer will do the smallest amount of work they have to!

2014 Convertible GT/CS
Rookie

Question

I had mine replaced for the grunt sound at about 25k miles. Now I'm just over 36k miles and I'm getting a popping sound, not the same as before, but I hear it still could be related to this TSB.

If it turns out to be the same issue, what are the chances of getting them replaced under warranty? These are probably less than 6 months old.
Rookie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoquadzilla View Post
I had mine replaced for the grunt sound at about 25k miles. Now I'm just over 36k miles and I'm getting a popping sound, not the same as before, but I hear it still could be related to this TSB.

If it turns out to be the same issue, what are the chances of getting them replaced under warranty? These are probably less than 6 months old.
I just looked at the control arm and there is no shield installed. There are brackets and bolt holes, but no shield. The invoice says the part used was CR3Z-3078-D and CR3Z-3079-D, which I'm pretty sure comes with the shield.

This is BS.
GT Member

You can buy those shields for like $20 or less I think. If you already have the tabs you could put them on next time you change your oil. I have the same arms as you I think (would have to look at my invoice) but that was installed a LONG time ago. Like 2 years ago but I think the part number is the same. I haven't had any noises out of them but I'm not 100% sure I don't have the shields on theere. Don't know what I'm looking for when I'm under the car. You have a picture by chance?

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Rookie

I have a 2014 V6 mustang, I the day I bought it I had a problem with the LCA, I brought it in and they replaced it. Within 2 weeks I had the same problem again, not wanting to go back to the dealership and deal with all that I waited a few months. I now have about 7k miles on the car and brought it back in a few weeks ago for the LCA problem, they claimed they did not hear it and did not fix the problem. Also my belt squeaks when I start the engine cold for a good minute, they said they put belt dressing on it, but it still squeaks. I see the LCA is a common problem...

Something that worries me more than all of that is when I come to a stop at a light sometimes or when I put it in park the engine really seems to drop in its idle (almost feels like its going to die) at times.. Has anyone experienced this?? The air-conditioning compressor really seems to create A lot of stress on the engine, so I usually don't use it. When I use the windows it also seems to stress the engine a lot... Just wondering if any of this is normal or anyone else has run into these issues.

-Thanks

PS. I saw a Ford representative respond to some comments and take interest in some concerns, sure would be great if they wanted to help me out. Seems like I've had nothing but problems in my NEW car.
Rookie

Quote:
Good chance. You should have a warranty on the part which isn't involved with your car's warranty.
Rookie

Quote:
I just looked at the control arm and there is no shield installed. There are brackets and bolt holes, but no shield. The invoice says the part used was CR3Z-3078-D and CR3Z-3079-D, which I'm pretty sure comes with the shield.

This is BS.
The dealer also installed my second set of LCAs without the shields too, in the past. I went back and they were added.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500000000000X View Post
The dealer also installed my second set of LCAs without the shields too, in the past. I went back and they were added.
I went back and they stared at me blankly when I asked if I could have the shields installed. They said they don't have them, and I just gave up trying to force them into anything. They supposedly checked the LCAs out and didn't see any problems. I'm out of warranty now and done with the dealership. If my control arms go out again I will gladly buy aftermarket and my car will never see the inside of a dealership again.

As far as my current noise, it doesn't seem to be the LCAs. I checked for myself and I don't see any play in any of the parts. I forgot to check the shock mount, but I will soon.

In my experience, I'm not the least bit surprised, and wouldn't expect any better service for warranty work from a dealer. My alignment is still slightly off from when they replaced the LCAs. They did align it, and it's apparently still in spec, but it pulls to the left and didn't before. Warranties are nice since there's no out of pocket cost, but to have anything done is like pulling teeth. It barely worth the headache and I'm kind of glad to be past 36k.
Rookie

My 2013 had the same suspension noise issue. The noise was only in cold weather. The front LCA's were replaced in September 2013 (15000 miles) Had the same issue in November 2014 (30000 miles) the LCA's were replaced again. Three months later I had the same noise. The LCA's were replaced again. This is the fourth set of LCA's on my car with just under 36000 miles on it
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
Quote:

All parts replaced by Ford have at least a 12 month warranty on them. There is also a mileage warranty but I think it's 12k unless otherwise stated.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.

Last edited by blu13gt; 03-16-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Rookie

If you have an '11 or up GT, just throw some BMR LCAs in, grease 'em up real good with 100% synthetic grease, and replace the steering gear with the Boss 302R steering gear and call it a day. Grease the bushings every 6 months and you will have a far superior car with no popping noises. For the 2010 and below, I am not sure since they use the fluid power steering. You might be able to get away with just replacing the control arms on those cars.

And I don't think you really need to change the steering gears on the '13 and '14 cars when switching to polyurethane LCAs. Can anyone confirm? I know for a fact I HAD to on my '11 because the '11s don't have the option to change the steering performance like the newer cars.

Also- get rid of the stock ceramic brake pads in the front and replace them with some sort of high-end, low-dust brake pad. I contributed 35% of my front end noise issues to the stock brake pads (groaning when stopping and ceramic squeeking sounds when holding the brakes at different pressures when at a stop).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page