2011-2014 Mustang lower control arm noise TSB's. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2011-2014 Mustang lower control arm noise TSB's.

Ford just came out with another Tsb for lower control arm noise and now includes 2013!

Printable View (48 KB) TSB
12-8-24
  • GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS
Publication Date: August 30, 2012
FORD:
2011-2013 Mustang

The article supersedes TSB 11-10-17 to remove the production fix date, update the model years, Service Labor Time Standards and Part List. ISSUE:

Some 2011-2013 Mustangs vehicles may exhibit a grunt/creak/chirp/squeak noise from the front lower control arm hydro bushing. These noises may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps, pot holes, rough roads and driveway approaches.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Use chassis ears on the lower control arm hydro bushing bracket tabs to verify noise is coming from the hydro bushing. The hydro bushing is the large diameter bushing at the rear of the control arm.
    1. If the noise is not confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, do not continue with this article. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 204-00 for normal diagnostics.
    2. If the noise is confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, replace the lower control arm that is making the noise. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01.
PART NUMBERPART NAMECR3Z-3078-CArm Assy - Right FrontCR3Z-3079-CArm Assy - Left FrontW710141-S439Lower Arm Rear BoltW709865-S439Lower Arm Front BoltW710909-S439Steering Gear BoltW711123-S439Ball Joint BoltW520215-S440Lower Arm Rear NutW520214-S440Ball Joint NutW713882-S437Rack Nut

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120824A2011-2013 Mustang: Replace One (1) Front Lower Control Arm, Includes Time To Diagnose1.8 Hrs.120824B2011-2013 Mustang: Replace Two (2) Front Lower Control Arms, Includes Time To Diagnose2.1 Hrs.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE307842
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Ex Ford tech for 17 years, 1987 Mustang GT project car. 2010 Flex with Ecoboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

This tsb is very old. The 2013 uses the same lowers as the 2011 so of course the tsb applies to them now as well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

PONY Member

Thanks for sharing! So far at 5k miles my 2013 is problem-free...and I live in Mass where the roads are bumpy, full of pot holes, and LOVE to eat your suspension/tires.

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg

post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
This tsb is very old. The 2013 uses the same lowers as the 2011 so of course the tsb applies to them now as well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
TSB just came out today, it replaces all previous repair procedures and parts.

Ex Ford tech for 17 years, 1987 Mustang GT project car. 2010 Flex with Ecoboost
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swetrid View Post
TSB just came out today, it replaces all previous repair procedures and parts.
This TSB was just updated and published yesterday for the following reasons:The article supersedes TSB 11-10-17 to remove the production fix date, update the model years, Service Labor Time Standards and Part List.

Deysha
GT Member

3rd model year and this is still a known issue for Ford, and they ship it anyways?

Any good company would recycle the old ones and have new ones made for new cars...

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
Apprentice

Yup, this is the new TSB calling for C revision arms.

Thanks for posting!
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
3rd model year and this is still a known issue for Ford, and they ship it anyways?

Any good company would recycle the old ones and have new ones made for new cars...

Perhaps because it isn't a 100% failure rate?

Mine is an '11 and never had this issue, it's not like they are going to stop Mustang production because a few cars have a squeaky suspension. Likely shopping around for another supplier but that isn't always the quickest thing.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post

Mine is an '11 and never had this issue, it's not like they are going to stop Mustang production because a few cars have a squeaky suspension. Likely shopping around for another supplier but that isn't always the quickest thing.

That's the weird thing. I called up Steeda and another supensiopn expert the other day seeing if they had any advice on the issue, ( I was particularly interested in the Steeda bushing inserts) both vendors claimed to have never encountered the issue. They told me there's something wrong with YOUR car, we've never heard of that.

But I can assure you it is a very real issue for the people who have the problem. It seems some cars never develop the problem, and if your car has it, it won't go away.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swetrid View Post
Ford just came out with another Tsb for lower control arm noise and now includes 2013!
Good to know info, thanks for posting this TSB.

2014 SGM GT, 300A, 6R80, daily driver. Roush TVS, suspension and brake upgrades.
replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post

I can make a video if you'd like.
PONY Member

Garage
I definitely have this issue along with a loud clunk from the passenger side when going over speed bumps. Took it to the dealer, told then it happened over bumps........They called me eight hours later and told me that they could not reproduce the noise. When I picked it up, the work order stated it was driven eight miles on a freeway. No wonder they couldn't reproduce the noise. I am not bringing it back until I can't stand it anymore.... The squeek seems to be weather related; the hotter it is, the more it seems to squeek. I have almost 4900 miles now and this problem didn't come up till 2500 miles or so, when it started to get hotter out.....

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daustin View Post
The squeek seems to be weather related; the hotter it is, the more it seems to squeek. I have almost 4900 miles now and this problem didn't come up till 2500 miles or so, when it started to get hotter out.....
Yeah last week was pretty hot here and my car had it bad. Sounded like I had a frog living in the front suspension. This week it's quieted down as it's cooled off. I'm just going to wait for the revision D arms as people are still having issues with the revision C arms.
Rookie

Revision D FTW. High hopes.

2013 V6 MT Sterling Grey - 3.31 gears, JLT Intake, Boss Strut Brace, GT Wheels, Infinity Reference 6x8s, Rockford Fosgate P300-10
PONY Member

I had the TSB done on mine as mine had the groans and gronks pretty bad. I took the service tech with me on a trip around the dealer's parking lot, and as soon as I hit the first speed bump the tech went, "Holy hell that's bad!"

Hasn't made any noise since, and that was ~4,000 miles ago.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page