Will a MGW shifter solve the infamous 1st > 2nd gear clunk? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

It's a number of things but the shifter isn't one of them. Soft tranny mount, two piece driveshaft are likely most of it. Changing out the to an MGW will simply improve the play in the stock shifter, help you hit the gears easier and reduce the throws.

crjackson2134 likes this.

2014 Mustang GT MT/3:73 Gears/Brembo Brake Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

It seems there is no commonly-known cause for this clunk, given the wide variety of potential causes that I am hearing from everybody.

Regarding the driveshaft being the issue, it doesn't feel like that to me. It's not so much the noise of the clunk that is bothering me, but rather the difficulty in pulling it into 2nd gear from 1st--there is a noticeable resistance there that is definitely not normal (I don't care if the dealer says that it is). Every other gear change is silky smooth--at least as smooth as it can be with this tranny. If it was a driveshaft issue, I'd think I'd notice the problem on other gear shifts as well (like pdmustgt commented), but I'm certainly far from being an expert at driveshaft issues. It feels like a transmission issue to me, but again, I'm not really qualified to make that call.

Racin366, your suggestion to have the dealer look it over, so that it will at least be documented, is a good one--I'll probably do that when it's due for its first oil change, and have them hold it overnight so they can feel it when the car is cold.

2014 Mustang GT Premium
5.0L V8, 6-speed manual, 3.73 axle
Mods listed in profile.
Ordered 2 June 2013 | Delivered 15 August 2013.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulage View Post
the clunk is coming from the rear-end, every 8.8 rear i have ever owned has made the same clunk, the 2 piece shaft has very little play in it.

lift the car and hold the pinion, the stock DS is very solid
This has been my experience as well. I didn't realize that these Mustangs had 8.8s in them. I have a Superformance Cobra replica that has an 8.8 IRS and it clunks like crazy at low speeds. I don't hear anything during normal driving but the side pipes are pretty loud so I probably wouldn't hear it. I called Ford Racing and they said it was normal. I know there is a lot of play before the driveshaft starts to move when I turn the rear wheels while they are off the ground.

I hear gear slap or clunks all over the place on my '11. I often hear the gears slapping when I let out the clutch and start to move forward. It sounds a lot like letting out the clutch too fast but that is not the case. I have eased the clutch out and it still does it. In fact I am sure the clutch is engaged and it still happens. This is different from what I hear in the rear.

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I installed the MGW shifter because of notchiness and difficulty getting into 2nd. It helped, but it's still there. The noise level is higher after replacing the shifter, even with lots of dynamat. The throw is less and there is less play, so it's much harder to miss a shift.

2012 GT Premium, brembos, 3.55 rear end, MGW short-throw shifter.
Rookie

Done ALOT of searching on this topic..Any fix for the 1-2 clunk? I am experiencing the same thing, want to understand if a fix has been posted.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I saw the PM that you sent me today about this issue, jwoolsey08. I'm replying here so others can see my response too.

I never did install a new shifter, and I'm still experiencing the issue with this car.

At my next scheduled maintenance after I had posted above that the dealership service advisor told me that he could find no technical bulletin on this issue for my VIN, I had a mechanic ride with me while I shifted from 1st to 2nd a few times. He heard the clunk, but all he could say about it is "that's completely normal."

I find that I can minimize the clunk if I don't pull so hard when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and if I push the shifter a bit to the left as I pull it down. It bugs the hell out of me that I should have to do that though.

At some point before my warranty expires, I'll ask another mechanic to check it out.

Lothar

2014 Mustang GT Premium
5.0L V8, 6-speed manual, 3.73 axle
Mods listed in profile.
Ordered 2 June 2013 | Delivered 15 August 2013.
Apprentice

I've always had the clunk, just assumed it was normal. It's never affected anything and it's running strong at 47k miles

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've got notchy shifting and clunking on one car, and silky smooth with no clunking on the other.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I've got notchy shifting and clunking on one car, and silky smooth with no clunking on the other.
Are both the same year/totally stock shifter? I've heard conflicting reports- some say later year MT82's are better and then there are others saying they're just as bad. I get both the clunk and the notchy 2nd on my 2011 but it's bearable. This is my first stick shift and I assumed it was fairly normal.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
It seems there is no commonly-known cause for this clunk, given the wide variety of potential causes that I am hearing from everybody.

No offense intended, Lothar, but (as mentioned previously) - the "problem" may be related more to driving style than parts on the car.

I have noticed notchiness or clunking on occasion from first to second gear, and my assumption was that it had more to do with the RPM when I chose to shift, as well as the overall gear ratio & the way the transmission synchronizes (or at least the way I think the transmission synchronizes,,,)

Try shifting at different (lower) RPMs, and you also might have another Mustang owner (w MT) drive your car, to see what he/she thinks. I also think that the Manual Transmission option in Mustangs by itself adds quite a bit of NVH - and I am perfectly fine with that.

I travel a lot for work, and rent a lot of cars. I have driven dozens of V6 and V8 Automatic Mustangs from 2013 to 2015. All were much (MUCH) quieter than my 2014 Track Pack car with a MT, 373 gear, and Ford Racing Exhaust (+ Boss side kit). What I learned from those cars is that the MT cars driveline feel much more "connected" to the car itself. There is a lot more driveline noise and feel going on with the MT cars that the AT cars do not have. That is something that may turn off most drivers, but not me (nor others reading this, I am sure), as that is one of the reasons that we bought these cars.

Part of my point with this is that I believe that MT cars are going to be notchy and clunky - to a greater degree that any AT equipped car. It's part of the design.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amabhy View Post
Are both the same year/totally stock shifter? I've heard conflicting reports- some say later year MT82's are better and then there are others saying they're just as bad. I get both the clunk and the notchy 2nd on my 2011 but it's bearable. This is my first stick shift and I assumed it was fairly normal.
Both 2014, same trim build, both Track Pack. The one that does have the clunking is reported as stock by the Ford Dealer that sold the car. That said, it's stockness is dubious to me. It drives very differently from the second one (the smooth one) which I KNOW is stock.

Driving a 2015 GT from the dealer wasn't as smooth and quiet as my Second (smooth shifting) Mustang. It must be an anomaly. Of course my wife wants to switch cars with me, but I won't do that. Hers has the 100,000 mi. Extended warranty, mine only has the standard factory warranty. She needs it more than I since she works and I'm retired.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page