Will a MGW shifter solve the infamous 1st > 2nd gear clunk? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Will a MGW shifter solve the infamous 1st > 2nd gear clunk?

I have that issue that has been so frequently reported, with my 6-speed manual tranny making a clunking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I've searched and read many posts about it.

I can feel the shifter resisting the shift into 2nd gear as I pull it back, and the clunk is very audible when it then pops into place. It started happening a few hundred miles into my car's break-in period, and has persisted ever since. Every other gear is fine. This only happens when the car is cold--after driving a few miles it goes away. With my first winter coming up on this new Mustang, I'm afraid if might get worse.

Since this is a 2014 GT, I presume it already has the transmission additive that people are saying helps, installed at the factory.

I've tried the suggestion to pull the shifter diagonally toward me as I shift into 2nd--this doesn't help.

I asked my dealership if they had a technical bulletin for the issue on my model year, and he entered my VIN number and found nothing. He says he's felt this in other Mustangs that he's driven though, so he knew what I was referring to.

My question is, has anybody else who had this clunk noticed that it got better, or worse, after installing a MGW shifter? My concern is that if I install the shifter and the clunk remains, then I might not be able to get Ford warranty service on it if it gets any worse. If it helps with the clunk though, then I definitely want this shifter.

2014 Mustang GT Premium
5.0L V8, 6-speed manual, 3.73 axle
Mods listed in profile.
Ordered 2 June 2013 | Delivered 15 August 2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

Yes

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

The clunk is usually the stock 2 piece driveshaft, the shifter won't do much if anything about that.
crjackson2134 likes this.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
The clunk is usually the stock 2 piece driveshaft, the shifter won't do much if anything about that.
yep, get a one piece aluminum
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
yep, get a one piece aluminum
My car still clunks with a 1 piece...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Okay, thanks, that is very helpful.

So just so that I'm clear... the driveshaft issue only affects 1st > 2nd, and no other gear? Is this anything that I can count on Ford to fix under warranty, with some prodding, or do they simply consider this "normal behavior?"

2014 Mustang GT Premium
Mods listed in profile.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls View Post
My car still clunks with a 1 piece...
That's what I am afraid of.. doing an expensive mod or one sort or another, only to have the same problem persist.

2014 Mustang GT Premium
Mods listed in profile.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
Okay, thanks, that is very helpful.

So just so that I'm clear... the driveshaft issue only affects 1st > 2nd, and no other gear? Is this anything that I can count on Ford to fix under warranty, with some prodding, or do they simply consider this "normal behavior?"
The drievshaft would contribute to it in all gears, but you may only hear it at certain points. Before you go buy a driveshaft I would have the dealer check it out and also look yourself at all the bushings, etc to make sure it isn't there.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
The drievshaft would contribute to it in all gears, but you may only hear it at certain points. Before you go buy a driveshaft I would have the dealer check it out and also look yourself at all the bushings, etc to make sure it isn't there.
Thanks for that advice, I appreciate it.

I did ask my contact at the dealer (who is a Mustang guy who I like), after he told me that there is no technical bulletin on the issue, if I should bother to bring in the car to have the issue checked out, and his answer was, "you could, but they'll probably just tell you that it's normal behavior."

Is this really normal behavior for this car, or is something out-of-spec on mine?

2014 Mustang GT Premium
Mods listed in profile.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Try adjusting your clutch application.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Try adjusting your clutch application.
Have the MGW shifter and still have the clunk, however that is not what I bought it for. I bought it to get a better shifter it is fantastic now very positive engagement and have not missed a single shift since the switch.

like Ltngdrvr posted if you slip the clutch slightly when shifting to 2nd it typically will not clunk.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Apprentice

the clunk is coming from the rear-end, every 8.8 rear i have ever owned has made the same clunk, the 2 piece shaft has very little play in it.

lift the car and hold the pinion, the stock DS is very solid
Apprentice

I start in 2nd gear or go from 1st to 3rd when gearbox oil is cold, for the first 5 to ten miles. Sad, but it's what we have to do with this tranny from ford/Hong kong.

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulage View Post
the clunk is coming from the rear-end, every 8.8 rear i have ever owned has made the same clunk, the 2 piece shaft has very little play in it.

lift the car and hold the pinion, the stock DS is very solid
My thoughts exactly. I have yet to see any facts showing it from driveshaft and never will.

How does stock driveshaft causes clunk only on certain shifts. Because it won't "IF" it was the cause it would be in every gear. Amazing my 99 GT both 04 mach1 would clunk too that clunk noise from backlash in drivetrain. Most of clunk noise can be controlled by way you drive it.

Again Alum driveshaft will dampen noise because alum material works great as a damper.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
Thanks for that advice, I appreciate it.

I did ask my contact at the dealer (who is a Mustang guy who I like), after he told me that there is no technical bulletin on the issue, if I should bother to bring in the car to have the issue checked out, and his answer was, "you could, but they'll probably just tell you that it's normal behavior."

Is this really normal behavior for this car, or is something out-of-spec on mine?
Without seeing the issue myself that's tough to answer. I have heard enough stories about people being told something is normal that it sometimes seems if the car is not on fire you will be told it is normal. That said I still suggest having the dealer look it over first, for one thing you have the issue documented and they will look over the car and they may find something that can be addressed under warranty. If the noise you hear is in the driveshaft I suspect you'll be told it is normal. (Maybe it depends how you define normal. To me, often appearing is common. Supposed to be there is normal, not the same thing) The issue you're having is pretty common, but not what I would call normal on these cars and if the suspension is all in good shape the cause is usually the factory 2 piece driveshaft.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page