Additional drag strip advice - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Additional drag strip advice

Didn't want to jack the other guys thread. So with my Roush sc stage 2 and Roush moderate tune, best I did was a 12.5 @ 120mph on nitto 275/30/18 at 20 psi. Couldn't get my 60 ft under 2.3 sec. I had good launches and everything. Advice? Drag tires? Suspension setup? I have a video but this never lets me upload. I'm gonna try and make a YouTube account

07 mustang gt supercharged. 531 rwhp

Sold. 2013 GT premium candy red metallic. Roush phase 2 SC 473 rwhp and 409 torque. SVE drifts with 18x9 front and 18x10 back and nitto 555. Flow master exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

You need drag radials at least. Your mph sucks though. That is a big sign of an extremely conservative tune. I would get drag radials and a tune. Also Lowe and goer control arms will be needed with drag radials or you will have a lot of wheel hop. If your car is automatic then you can just leave the suspension stock for the time being and just try with new tires and more power.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Which Nitto 555 tires, drag radial or street? If they are not drag radials putting the right amount of air in your tires will help a lot. Airing down street tires does nothing good. Neither does a burnout. If you were getting 2.3 60 times you weren't getting good launches, if you haven't already I would think about some suspension mods next, rear upper and lower control arms will help a lot, but IMO 4.10 gears are too much with a blower. No traction, and pulls through the gears so fast you don't really make the best use of the power.

The best thing is seat time, as you practice you'll get better each time. Have fun with it and try different things to see what works best for you.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013
Rookie

practice and tires i think are key, after quite afew passes i still cant get my car to hook on a 295/55 R15 drag radial. 10.98 at 122mph with a 1.66 60ft is the best so far.

12 GT Prem,6MT,3.73's,Roush TVS,Axle back,CAI,DSS-DS,LCA,Barton shifter,Oil Separator,Race Stars. Steeda rear x brace, tubular rad mount, K member, Arms, Kooks LT.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

You've got a MPH number that would put you squarely in the 11 second E.T. category, you just aren't getting a good launch.

Is this a manual or automatic car? How are you launching it? And what rpm are you shifting at?

Control arms and drag radials at least are needed depending on how deep you want to go.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I wanna make it a beast but have to wait till money rolls in. It's an auto. I launch at about 1500-2000 rpms. I have a set if whiteline adjustable upper and lowers sitting in my cart at American muscle. Also relocation brackets? I have some tires and stuff that is hopefully gonna sell so I can put it towards. Then some mt drags. What's a good size to put on an 18 wheel? I may also pick up two 17 for the rear

Sold. 2013 GT premium candy red metallic. Roush phase 2 SC 473 rwhp and 409 torque. SVE drifts with 18x9 front and 18x10 back and nitto 555. Flow master exhaust
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckk9 View Post
I wanna make it a beast but have to wait till money rolls in. It's an auto. I launch at about 1500-2000 rpms. I have a set if whiteline adjustable upper and lowers sitting in my cart at American muscle. Also relocation brackets? I have some tires and stuff that is hopefully gonna sell so I can put it towards. Then some mt drags. What's a good size to put on an 18 wheel? I may also pick up two 17 for the rear
You should try leaving off idle

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have. I got the best time from going at the rpm stated.

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Go with some 15"x10" race star wheels and a set of 325/50-15 drag radials, will give a much better launch than any 17" or 18" will.

And it is very pricey but a high stall converter can knock as much as half a second off the E.T. on a 6R80 Mustang.

And those control arms don't help much in your cart at A/M! Get that stuff sold and get the control arms on your car...

And if your car isn't lowered then I'd wait on the relocation brackets to see if you really need them.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

You're gonna need some stickier tires for the drag strip.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Rookie

Ive been hearing that the ET street radial Pro 275/60 15 tire is bad a**
thinking about dumping the 295's and going to that tire.

12 GT Prem,6MT,3.73's,Roush TVS,Axle back,CAI,DSS-DS,LCA,Barton shifter,Oil Separator,Race Stars. Steeda rear x brace, tubular rad mount, K member, Arms, Kooks LT.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:

BTW, is your signature correct? 473/409 from a coyote with a blower? Something isn't right.

PONY Member

The one thing I can't get over is the 60' time. My first time at the strip ever with my stock auto (stock tune/tires/everything) my 60' was 2.1, and that was with my tires at 35psi. He has 100 more HP and wider tires but a worse 60'. I'm wondering how the track prep was.

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
The one thing I can't get over is the 60' time. My first time at the strip ever with my stock auto (stock tune/tires/everything) my 60' was 2.1, and that was with my tires at 35psi. He has 100 more HP and wider tires but a worse 60'. I'm wondering how the track prep was.

He had 20psi in street tires. You can put a 14" wide tire on a civic at that pressure and still spin. He needs stickier tires, but the correct air in these will make a big improvement.

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well the day they dyno'ed it, the battery had died the night before so they ran it for a while to charge before I got there. It was hot when they ran it. Im gonna go back up and have it re dynoed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page