Optima battery install in a 2011+ mustang gt - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Optima battery install in a 2011+ mustang gt

Has anyone attempted/completed an Optima battery install in a 2011+ mustang gt? I have been looking for awhile now to see how someone was able to do it without relocating the battery to the trunk. Wasn't sure if I got a reversed terminal battery if it would fit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013
PONY Member

Take a look at Odessey batteries. They use TPPL technology. They are sold at Sears under the Die hard Platinum line.

ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013
GT Member

Don't buy an optima battery!!!!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT2013 View Post
Take a look at Odessey batteries. They use TPPL technology. They are sold at Sears under the Die hard Platinum line.

ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site
Ok, thanks. I need something that can take the abuse of sitting most of the time.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
Whats wrong with Optimas? I have used them in the past and never had a problem, granted it has been quite a few years though.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Whats wrong with Optimas? I have used them in the past and never had a problem, granted it has been quite a few years though.
I worked for Interstate Batteries and we sold Optima's, They are made in Mexico and are not worth the extra cost or all the hype, trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstang11 View Post
Ok, thanks. I need something that can take the abuse of sitting most of the time.
No Battery is going to last if it sits. Most batteries lose 25% of their charge when sitting for only 3 months. For prolonged non use I always suggest a battery tender or similar product.

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013
Apprentice

There isn't enough height clearance on the 11+ mustangs for the Optima's. I looked into it when I needed to replace my battery. Maybe if you could find a replacement battery tray. I ended up just getting an Interstate battery.

Optima batteries have been getting pretty bad reviews the last few years due to early failures.

2011 Brembo GT.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

I have had nothing but bad luck with Optima batteries.

I, as well as a few other guys up here have been having great luck with the Interstate MT7-34's.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstang11 View Post
Has anyone attempted/completed an Optima battery install in a 2011+ mustang gt? I have been looking for awhile now to see how someone was able to do it without relocating the battery to the trunk. Wasn't sure if I got a reversed terminal battery if it would fit.
I replaced my stock battery with an Optima Red Top 35 battery. It fits just fine in the stock location. I originally purchased the wrong one and had to return it. The insulator that is around the stock battery is no longer needed.

I have had zero problems with it so far.

2011 GT/CS 6MT . 3.73 Gears . 2014 Front-End . Cervini Stalker Hood . Roush TVS Supercharger . Roush Gauge Pod . JLT Oil Separator . GT500 Axle Back Exhaust . Roush Shift Knob . Roush Side Splitters . Roush Hood Struts . CDC Grille . Auto Meter Phantom II Boost Gauge . GT500 Mud Guards . 20/50% Tint . GT500 Brembo Kit . Powerslot Rotors . Koni STR.T . FRPP-P Springs . Boyo Front/Rear Camera w/ 3.5 Display . Hardwired V1 Radar . Alpine Perfect Fit Navi . 19" Forgestar CF5's
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markthebarber View Post
I replaced my stock battery with an Optima Red Top 35 battery. It fits just fine in the stock location. I originally purchased the wrong one and had to return it. The insulator that is around the stock battery is no longer needed.

I have had zero problems with it so far.
Ok great! Thanks
Apprentice

I don't get the Optima bashing. I have had an Optima in my daily driven Xterra for over 7 years with no issues. I have been waiting for it to die as 7 years makes me uncomfortable but it keeps on going.
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimorpheus View Post
I don't get the Optima bashing. I have had an Optima in my daily driven Xterra for over 7 years with no issues. I have been waiting for it to die as 7 years makes me uncomfortable but it keeps on going.
I think the problem with the Optima's is inconsistency.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimorpheus View Post
Since you daily drive the vehicle that is why the battery has no issues.
Most people buy Optima's for their collector of fun cars, problem is these cars sit for long periods. If you don't use a tender to keep the battery charged it won't last long. And Optima's require a specific way to bring them back to full charge if drained below 10 volts.
Any battery can last a long time if it's maintained correctly.

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Fire View Post
Most people buy Optima's for their collector of fun cars, problem is these cars sit for long periods. If you don't use a tender to keep the battery charged it won't last long. And Optima's require a specific way to bring them back to full charge if drained below 10 volts.
I've had multiple Optima batteries and they have all been on a tender of some sort, still had problems.

The Optima batteries are enough of a problem that my tuner (who also does other "hot rod" work) stopped carrying them. He just couldn't deal with all the warranty problems anymore.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Fire View Post
I agree but that would be true of any automotive battery. I am not sure of the deep discharge recovery procedure for optima batteries as I have not experienced the issue. As you said, daily driver. What I can say is I have had other batteries, including the factory battery in the Mustang, die very early. Most good batteries I have used tend to last about five years, this includes Interstate and diehard brands. I tend to buy the best battery I can find just to avoid problems.

I did not think there was an Optima application for the 2011 up Mustangs. When I looked the closest model had the terminals backwards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page