"The Tick" My experience so far... long - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

So is this really the same tick as the "BBQ ignitor" tick? I've had it since day one. If that's the case, why does it come back with a vengeance after oil changes?

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I guess you could describe the tick I had as the igniter tick. It was kind of a random high pitched tick at idle. I noticed it less than 50 miles after my first oil change. I just drove the car about an hour today and no ticks or knocks now that I have the a/c belt off. If it doesn't come back before then I will see on my next oil change if the tick comes back. It didn't last for long at all maybe 75ish miles of driving before I didn't notice it anymore. I'm not really worried about it. The knock will be gone for good now that the stress if off of the crank. My tensioner kit will be here next week. It should be a 20 minute bolt up now that I have the tranny lines re-routed.

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynwood View Post
I have an update. The tick I have not noticed since I got under the car and wiggled the exhaust around and checked the clamp bolts. I don't know if it was something in the exhaust or an coincidence that it went away....
Did you bring it into your dealer to have it taken care of, Lynwood? Iíll get it escalated if you need me to.

Deysha

Apprentice

Here is another way to reduce or eliminate this tick:

1. Start engine
2. Turn radio to "ON" position
3. Turn volume knob in a clockwise direction until tick is no longer noticeable.

Problem solved.

2012 5.0 GT - 6MT82 - Sterling Gray - Premium Sports Interior - Comfort Package - 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels
Rookie

My 2014 GT has the tick as well, it has since I ordered and bought it new in April 2013 it had about 5.7 miles on it so it hadn't been on any hard test drives, I noticed it for the first time at an ATM which means it's obviously more noticeable when I'm next to a wall or in the garage, drove it to Florida October when it had 2500 miles on it now it has 5000k miles on it and still ticks. It runs fine no other weird noises but I will probably bring it by the dealer sometime when the weather gets more stable here just to see what they say.

2014 GT Convertible base with the Brembo package, Roush axle back, 285/35/19 on the rear.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So far so good on mine. No more ticks and no more knocks since I removed the stretchy belt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd1055 View Post
My 2014 GT has the tick as well, it has since I ordered and bought it new in April 2013 it had about 5.7 miles on it so it hadn't been on any hard test drives, I noticed it for the first time at an ATM which means it's obviously more noticeable when I'm next to a wall or in the garage, drove it to Florida October when it had 2500 miles on it now it has 5000k miles on it and still ticks. It runs fine no other weird noises but I will probably bring it by the dealer sometime when the weather gets more stable here just to see what they say.
Does the tick sound like a sewing machine or is it a random tick without rhythm? If it sounds like a sewing machine its normal.

Rookie

Mine just sound like an old style faint rocker arm tick, pretty steady and with no weird rhythm.

2014 GT Convertible base with the Brembo package, Roush axle back, 285/35/19 on the rear.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Mine just sound like an old style faint rocker arm tick, pretty steady and with no weird rhythm.
I wouldn't worry about that unless you notice it getting worse.

FordService

Quote:
Hey mpd1055,

Iím not sure if you saw my other post, but you should have it looked at as soon as possible and let me get this to the customer service manager for your area. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get it escalated for you.

Deysha
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
You need to get a clue. If your car ever has the stretchy belt issue you will think it's about to sling a rod. My car had the belt issue 9 months before the TSB was issued.
Did your sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tgQbwMjX_o

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page