"The Tick" My experience so far... long - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

"The Tick" My experience so far... long

Night before last I went by one of my friends/coworkers house to drop something off and drove the Mustang over there. I wasn't going to stay long so I left it running in the driveway and we were standing there talking about how awesome the car is and everything. And all of a sudden I noticed a tap......... tap.......... tap.. tap.. and so on a inconsistent random tap. So to myself I was like WTF! It isn't as loud as some I have heard online but I could hear it. My friend didn't notice it I don't think. I didn't say anything about it while we were standing there because I was kind of shocked by it. But after I got tuned into the noise. I could hear it across the yard.
I changed my oil at 2200ish miles(8 quarts 5w20 motorcraft semi blend and a motorcraft filter) and it now has 2300 miles on it. I have been all over and under that engine with my telescoping magnet listening. I noticed using my Aeroforce gauge the tapping only occurs after 188' coolant temperature and seemed to get quieter and less persistent if I let the car sit there and idle and let the temp go over 200'. It ticked very noticeably and predictable yesterday going by the temperature gauge.
Obviously I don't know where its coming from. The tap kinda turned into a rattling sound if I ran the RPMs up and down from about 1000-2500rpm but it is hard to get it to rattle consistently and I can't hear it if I rev it over about 2500rpm. So today I ran the car up on the ramps and shook the exhaust around, checked all the clamp bolts and made sure nothing was loose. Looked all under the car and everything looks normal. I started the car up and let it warm up and didn't hear any tick. I was watching the Aeroforce temp gauge waiting for it to start when the temp came up and NO tick until I revved the engine a little and I heard a very very faint tick a couple of times but it was so faint if you didn't know what to listen for you would probably think I was crazy. I let it cool down and started it up a couple times today. I couldn't hear a tick today while idling. But maybe a very faint tick after I rev it. Sometimes it will sometimes it won't.
Also while doing all of this listening I noticed the engine does have a inconsistent bump to it. I don't know if its normal but you can hear it and feel it. You would think it was the exhaust if you didn't put your hand on the engine but it seems the whole engine kind of bumps. I might run it by the dealer eventually and try to compare it to one on the lot if they will let me.

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
BOSS Member

Garage
It will go away after a few hundred miles.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I hope so. I will just keep driving it and see what it does.

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynwood View Post
Night before last I went by one of my friends/coworkers house to drop something off and drove the Mustang over there. I wasn't going to stay long so I left it running in the driveway and we were standing there talking about how awesome the car is and everything. And all of a sudden I noticed a tap......... tap.......... tap.. tap.. and so on a inconsistent random tap. So to myself I was like WTF! It isn't as loud as some I have heard online but I could hear it. My friend didn't notice it I don't think. I didn't say anything about it while we were standing there because I was kind of shocked by it. But after I got tuned into the noise. I could hear it across the yard.....
I recommend you have your dealer check it out and make sure itís nothing, Lynwood. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it to the customer service manager of your area if needed.

Deysha
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks Deysha! I might call the service department and see what they say... how familiar they are with the issues these engines have. I might be better off taking it to rocky mount nc. They deal a lot with these mustangs. I will contact you if i have any problems. I think the knocking may be the ac belt. Im going to remove the belt and check for myself. but im waiting for the tool. The tick is something different. I just heard the knock looking for the tick. 2300 miles on the car after doing some searching it looks like these cars have the plague.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
GT Member

I have heard many 2011+ 5.0 motors and they all seem to have a tapping noise at idle. A consistent tap may be a variation of norm for the coyote but an inconstant tap or tap under load definitely isn't normal. Mine has tapped since new and seems to be louder when warmer out and next to a another car or wall amplifying the noise via echo. What's weird though is the past few weeks it seems to have quieted down drastically to where it is barely audible and this is at 26k miles. The only thing I can think of is it has been colder lately. I don't remember if the tap was that loud last winter to compare.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
FordService

Quote:
Thanks Deysha! I might call the service department and see what they say... how familiar they are with the issues these engines have. I might be better off taking it to rocky mount nc. They deal a lot with these mustangs. I will contact you if i have any problems. I think the knocking may be the ac belt. Im going to remove the belt and check for myself. but im waiting for the tool. The tick is something different. I just heard the knock looking for the tick. 2300 miles on the car after doing some searching it looks like these cars have the plague.
No problem, Lynwood. Keep me posted.

Deysha
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I have an update. The tick I have not noticed since I got under the car and wiggled the exhaust around and checked the clamp bolts. I don't know if it was something in the exhaust or an coincidence that it went away.

The knocking noise that I noticed while looking for the tick was bothering me worse than the tick. It sounded like a main bearing knock. It was most noticeable on the passenger side. I could really feel it when I put my hand on the valve cover. The car has 2300 miles on it and I have not done a whole lot of listening to the engine while it was running so I'm sure it was knocking like this from day one. So after reading the TSB on the A/C belt. This morning I went and warmed the car up noting the engine knock. I turned the car off and took my scissors and cut the A/C belt off. I restarted the engine and the knock is GONE. So I will be ordering the tensioner kit and doing the TSB on it. I know I could take it in and get this done for free but for the cost and what It is I will do it myself. It will be cheaper than a trip to Raleigh to get a dent taken out of my car so that's how I look at it. LOL!

It just sucks that we have to reengineer something as simple as a belt drive on a brand new car. I mean its pretty stupid if you ask me. It makes me wonder what else needs redoing.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member

The ticking seems to be "normal" for these engines. Mine was going it a little at one point then went away two days later never to be heard from again.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
I have an update. The tick I have not noticed since I got under the car and wiggled the exhaust around and checked the clamp bolts. I don't know if it was something in the exhaust or an coincidence that it went away.

The knocking noise that I noticed while looking for the tick was bothering me worse than the tick. It sounded like a main bearing knock. It was most noticeable on the passenger side. I could really feel it when I put my hand on the valve cover. The car has 2300 miles on it and I have not done a whole lot of listening to the engine while it was running so I'm sure it was knocking like this from day one. So after reading the TSB on the A/C belt. This morning I went and warmed the car up noting the engine knock. I turned the car off and took my scissors and cut the A/C belt off. I restarted the engine and the knock is GONE. So I will be ordering the tensioner kit and doing the TSB on it. I know I could take it in and get this done for free but for the cost and what It is I will do it myself. It will be cheaper than a trip to Raleigh to get a dent taken out of my car so that's how I look at it. LOL!

It just sucks that we have to reengineer something as simple as a belt drive on a brand new car. I mean its pretty stupid if you ask me. It makes me wonder what else needs redoing.
I had the stretchy belt issue and yes it does sound like the engine is about to throw a rod.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
I had the stretchy belt issue and yes it does sound like the engine is about to throw a rod.
^^ is ridiculous. Get a grip man. The OP is already freaked out and while I can't verify for sure, but I'd say it's nothing. My car does this, every single new 5.0 owner I've known has a tick/knock (whatever you want to call it) but what's funny is most people don't know it until they listen for it. The OP even said he didn't notice it before "but after he got tuned into it the sound, he could hear it all the way across the yard". I'm not making fun of you lynwood, but I literally LOL'd at that! I don't know why you guys get so freaked out by a noise. If your car runs fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. You do have a warrenty and this is IMO but there is no way I'd cut off my AC belt just to check for a sound and again IMO it's not worth it to get a new belt (spending time, energy, worry etc) just to fix a minor noise that is coming from a belt and has NOTHING to do w/ your engine and how it runs or is supposed to run. To each his own and I hope it all gets "fixed" but Wood, I wouldn't worry about it.

NOTE: Mine "ticks" too

EDIT: I re read what you said and at first I thought you were telling him "your motor is about to blow". I understand what you mean now. The noise makes it seem like a rod is about to go.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The sound isn't coming from the belt itself. Its a noise caused by having the belt stretched banjo string tight onto two pulleys that are not true to each other. I am a mechanic by trade... not an auto mechanic but an industrial mechanic. If there is an abnormal knock or vibration resonating through the engine due to an improper belt system I see good reason to make that stop. All of the pulling and loping that belt is doing is not good for the engine in the long run. That is why Ford issued a TSB on it, because it is not supposed to be doing that. You can ignore it if you want but im fixing mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Rookie

An idea

Here's something to try and your results may vary!

The same ticking issue was noticeable when the car was warm and on an incline such as a driveway, and like others, it started happening after the oil was changed. After some experimentation, the problem went away if the oil level is kept below the middle of the upper and lower holes on the dipstick (see attached image).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	307upn9.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	285946  
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
^^ is ridiculous. Get a grip man. The OP is already freaked out and while I can't verify for sure, but I'd say it's nothing. My car does this, every single new 5.0 owner I've known has a tick/knock (whatever you want to call it) but what's funny is most people don't know it until they listen for it. The OP even said he didn't notice it before "but after he got tuned into it the sound, he could hear it all the way across the yard". I'm not making fun of you lynwood, but I literally LOL'd at that! I don't know why you guys get so freaked out by a noise. If your car runs fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. You do have a warrenty and this is IMO but there is no way I'd cut off my AC belt just to check for a sound and again IMO it's not worth it to get a new belt (spending time, energy, worry etc) just to fix a minor noise that is coming from a belt and has NOTHING to do w/ your engine and how it runs or is supposed to run. To each his own and I hope it all gets "fixed" but Wood, I wouldn't worry about it.

NOTE: Mine "ticks" too

EDIT: I re read what you said and at first I thought you were telling him "your motor is about to blow". I understand what you mean now. The noise makes it seem like a rod is about to go.

You need to get a clue. If your car ever has the stretchy belt issue you will think it's about to sling a rod. My car had the belt issue 9 months before the TSB was issued.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tsb12-08-14.pdf (839.7 KB, 177 views)

SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Be careful gentleman....
This thread was going good, lets keep it moving in the right direction, ok?

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page