2013 first mods? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 first mods?

So, a week into my new ride and am looking for suggestions on my first modifications. Not a great mechanic so need something simple but will make an visible or performance impact.
Thoughts and suggestions?

2013 Mustang GT Premium, 6 speed manual, Deep Impact Blue.
2014 Buick Regal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013
Rookie

Tune

Best mod first is tune. Bama is good and service is great. Very safe and noticible power. Then go with springs and pan hard bar. If you don't wanna lower her yet, get some lower control arms, non adjustable if this is your first stang. Remember that most people have big ambitions until they realize that your best friend is a good mustang mechanic if you wanna go big. Start small, slow and be meticulous through research. Mods can be good and bad as the current stang is vastly different than many other performance cars on the market. Most importantly don't get the mod bug and just start buying stuff. There is a sweet science with these cars. Use the forums religiously.

13 GT Premium 6MT/ Brembo Pack/ magna flow glass pack axle back/ o/r x pipe/93r Bama Tune/ SR springs/ J&M pan hard bar and lca/ white line relocation brackets
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013
PONY Member

tune is good- but maybe wait if u still have some warranty- if looking for something to do yourself and "wet your feet' sort of speak- do the axle back providing u still have the stockers on- not too difficult and u get some wrench time and see some of the stuff underneath plus u get mean sound- another is replace the shifter to mgw or barton again u get some wrench time that is not too difficult and added performance- heck if u want to ease into it replace the cheap bushing only then the shifter at a later date- but its cheaper when bought together.

2014 GT- 3.73, MT 82, comfort pkg, roush a/b, f14 19x9/19x10 conti DW

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013
PONY Member

If your new to modding, start off very simple. You can turn the car into something you hate very easily. I would avoid suspension mods unless you ride in a Mustang that is modded and experience it yourself to ground yourself on what it can do. In the least you should go with complete kits from a single vendor with a popular setup on which you can find tons of info. Beware of just getting a few bits and pieces here and there unless you are not concerned about performance and only care to drop the car for looks. All the pieces work together as a systems so just changing one or two pieces without picking the right ones will cause the rest to perform at less than optimum levels.

The easiest performance mods will be CAI, tune, exhaust and a shifter. Some simple style mods will be wheels, tint, stripes and body add ons like window lovers and side scoops if that is your taste. Check the vendors listed on the sight and just browse around to see what is available on the market. Once you see something that sparks your interest, do some searching around on here and you are sure to find numerous threads giving opinions and insight.

Enjoy your ride. First and foremost, make sure you know what you want out of your ride. Don't throw on a bunch of race spec parts if all you really want is a good looking cruiser. You're sure to spend way more money than you need to and won't enjoy it as much that way.

2013 Red Candy Metallic GT Premium Coupe
Black Leather, 6MT, Comfort Package, Brembo Package, 3.55 Axle
Borla Touring axle back, Suntec CXP 45% window tint, Eibach Pro-Kit, Steeda Strut Mounts, Rear Upper Control Arm and Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets, Energy Suspension Shifter Bushing
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013
Apprentice

^^ what he said

Black 2011 GT Premium Coupe: | J&M Adjustable Panhard bar | 3" custom H-pipe, resonator delete, Flowmaster Outlaws | JLT catchcan | Roush CAI
--------------
Black 2007 GT/CS Convertible - SOLD!: | 18" Chrome Bullitt Wheels | 255/45/18 Riken tires | FRPP K-springs | FRPP shocks/struts | FRPP Rear Sway Bar with billet end links | Saleen Front Sway Bar | Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates | BMR Adj. Panhard Bar | BMR LCAs + relo brackets | JLT Intake | Tuned by BAMA | Flowmaster axle back |
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013
Rookie

The gist

Basically take your time. Building the ultimate stang is about personal preference. But all will agree don't just through money at your car. Like others have said you may hate some of the drawbacks of certain mods. Got a buddy who hates his mustang after lowering it. I luv mine. Depends on the fella.

13 GT Premium 6MT/ Brembo Pack/ magna flow glass pack axle back/ o/r x pipe/93r Bama Tune/ SR springs/ J&M pan hard bar and lca/ white line relocation brackets
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013
PONY Member

Buy a passenger jlt oil catch can . From day one at 600 miles I had collected some oil. These cars are known to collect oil the first hundred or 1000 miles. This is a must have mod it was my first getting home from the dealer 5 miles away.

names Alex
2013 premium GT race red, order 3/23/12 ,doa 5/3/12
roush axle backs,pypes x pipe,resonator deletes, jlt oil catch can,20% tint, sr pc blk strut tower bar, painted engine bay and airaid cai, 93R] Bama tune, full roush splitters,cs rear diffuser,stillen gen 1 chin splitter, am black billet hidden fog light grille.Ford p springs, koni Orange struts, shocks, gt500 mounts, eibach sways, umi lca+reloc brak, 19x9.5 sve pc gloss blk wheels, cooper ra3 275/40/19 tires
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsuave View Post
Buy a passenger jlt oil catch can . From day one at 600 miles I had collected some oil. These cars are known to collect oil the first hundred or 1000 miles. This is a must have mod it was my first getting home from the dealer 5 miles away.
What the heck is an Oil catch can and what does it do? Where do I get one from?

2014 Buick Regal
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013
PONY Member

Here is a link check it out. This is a must. ..JLT Black Mustang Oil Separator - Passenger side JLTOSP-FMV611-B (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping JLTOSP-FMV611-B

names Alex
2013 premium GT race red, order 3/23/12 ,doa 5/3/12
roush axle backs,pypes x pipe,resonator deletes, jlt oil catch can,20% tint, sr pc blk strut tower bar, painted engine bay and airaid cai, 93R] Bama tune, full roush splitters,cs rear diffuser,stillen gen 1 chin splitter, am black billet hidden fog light grille.Ford p springs, koni Orange struts, shocks, gt500 mounts, eibach sways, umi lca+reloc brak, 19x9.5 sve pc gloss blk wheels, cooper ra3 275/40/19 tires
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsuave View Post
Agree, this is what I got and it's a must. Passenger side only. Has already caught several tablespoons of oil.

1993 Reef Blue Notch 5.0, flowmaster three chamber cat backs, K+N air, 3.73, cobra clutch, 158k and still kicking. 2014 Mustang GT prem., Black, Brembo, manual, 3.73 gear, fog-light tint, new GT floormats, led license plate bulbs, Jlt oil separator, K&N drop-in air filter, SickSpeed black shifter knob with red shift pattern, GT 500 axle backs, locking gas cap, painted MMD quarter window covers, Roush chin splitter, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, SHR black fuel door.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussboy View Post
So, a week into my new ride and am looking for suggestions on my first modifications. Not a great mechanic so need something simple but will make an visible or performance impact.
Thoughts and suggestions?
Interesting! I just bought my 2011 5.0/Manual Trans four weeks ago. I started off with UPR suspension and now the car handles amazingly well. It was a pretty radical transformation... three days after I bought the car.

Next, I added a UPR/SCT Tuner and an off-road x-pipe. I've been racing these Mustangs for over 20 years, and I was BLOWN AWAY by how much faster the car is with the UPR 93 Octane tune!

This is the tuner I used, but we also sell the SCT SF3 for $379
SCT iTSX Wireless Tuner for iPad iPhone 11-13 Mustang 5.0

This is the x-pipe I used to free up some power:
11-14 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L Stainless Steel Off Road X Pipe

I noticed you're in Boynton Beach. UPR is in Lake Worth. Let me know if you'd like to go for a spin in my car sometime to gauge whether or not you'd enjoy the mods I've installed.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

These are all great suggestions. Let me Think about them; Santa may need to get some Mustang mods aded to his list for me....

2014 Buick Regal
PONY Member

Unless you like the sound of you exhaust, my first mod were the mufflers. I suggest GT500 muffs. Not only will it sound better, the larger tips look much better.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussboy View Post
These are all great suggestions. Let me Think about them; Santa may need to get some Mustang mods aded to his list for me....
I hope Santa brings me Mustang parts too. I've been good!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Apprentice

If I had it to do all over again the MGW shifter would be the first thing I put in the car.

2014 Mustang GT Base 6M
Brembo Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page