2012 Mustang GT O2 Sensor Bad. P2629 & P2197 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
2012 Mustang GT O2 Sensor Bad. P2629 & P2197

I went to start my car up last week and it was idling really bad. I immediately turned the car off. I cranked it back up and the idle smoothed out but wasn't running perfect and I noted a strong gas smell. The CEL light came on so I pulled the codes. I got P2197 and P2629. The codes pointed to the driver side bank 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor. I have long tubes installed with an off road X pipe.

I was running rear O2 sensor extensions and an extension on the driver side front sensor. I didn't need to use an extension on the passenger side. I decided to remove the extension and clear the code. This worked for a little while but the car was still running badly. The code soon came back on.

I ordered two brand new O2 sensors from Ford. The part number is DY-1185. Installed the sensors and problem solved.

Something I noted when comparing the bad driver side sensor with the good passenger side is the the driver sensor looks dirtier and more covered in soot. The passenger side is giving proper readings and looks alot cleaner. Go figure.

2012 Mustang GT Premium. 6MT. Homestead, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013
MACH I Member

Are you saying you're running your rear O2 sensors with the O/R x pipe?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Yeah they are installed but the light is turned off in my tune

2012 Mustang GT Premium. 6MT. Homestead, FL

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewedUp View Post
Yeah they are installed but the light is turned off in my tune
the tune turns off the activation of the rear sensors. so even if they were bad it wouldnt throw a code. You may could have just reloaded the tune and the codes would have gone away.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Seems like it was just the sensors then? Has that smell of Gas gone away?

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015
Apprentice

Did u ever get it fixed? I have the same issue I ordered a mass air flow sensor and got it installed today still havnt driven yet. So much throttle lag!

2011" Mustang Gt 5.0 Red Candy Metallic 6MT:-Eibach Lowering Pro-Kit with Sway Bar/MGW Short-Shifter/BBK Longtube Headers/BBK Catted Shorty X-pipe/Custom Exhaust Catback/Boss 302 Intake Manifold/Boss 302 Tower Brace/JLT CAI/Flim Flam Racing Dyno Tune/Gt CS spoiler/18inch GT500 Wheels/5.0 Red Caliper Covers/10% tint all around
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrawi View Post
Did u ever get it fixed? I have the same issue I ordered a mass air flow sensor and got it installed today still havnt driven yet. So much throttle lag!
The thread was about 02 sensors not mass air flow sensors. Yes the OP solved his problem with 2 new 02 sensors.

Not sure why you needed a mass air flow sensor. That is in the intake system and not the exhaust system by the way.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Quote:
The thread was about 02 sensors not mass air flow sensors. Yes the OP solved his problem with 2 new 02 sensors.

Not sure why you needed a mass air flow sensor. That is in the intake system and not the exhaust system by the way.
I replaced both front O2 sensors and I still had an issue. I replaced the MAF because it was having a lot of throttle lag and it still didn't fix the issue.

2011" Mustang Gt 5.0 Red Candy Metallic 6MT:-Eibach Lowering Pro-Kit with Sway Bar/MGW Short-Shifter/BBK Longtube Headers/BBK Catted Shorty X-pipe/Custom Exhaust Catback/Boss 302 Intake Manifold/Boss 302 Tower Brace/JLT CAI/Flim Flam Racing Dyno Tune/Gt CS spoiler/18inch GT500 Wheels/5.0 Red Caliper Covers/10% tint all around
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015
GT Member

Make sure your not using 02 extensions. If you are that likely is your problem. Do you have a stock tune or an aftermarket tune? Throttle lag can be solved with the proper tune in my opinion.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Make sure your not using 02 extensions. If you are that likely is your problem. Do you have a stock tune or an aftermarket tune? Throttle lag can be solved with the proper tune in my opinion.
I was but now Iam running a catted Xpipe and I hve a bama tune gna drop it off at RRT hopefully they can fix it

GT Member

Quote:
I was but now Iam running a catted Xpipe and I hve a bama tune gna drop it off at RRT hopefully they can fix it
OK if I understand you correctly you do have 02 extensions at the front 02 sensors and they absolutely must be removed. The stock front 02 sensor lines are long enough if you properly detach them to lengthen. And even if you have catted x-pipe the aftermarket cats can still throw a CEL code so Bama can turn off those rear 02 sensors from causing CEL. That is what I had to do even though I have supposedly high flow cats from Kooks.

Rookie

i have the same problem i had an 02 extention on the drivers side not the passenger but my code was p2626 i took the extension out and the same code came on p2626 do you think i need new 02 sensors also what makes no sense to me is why would the passenger side code come on and not the drivers if the driverside has the extension?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page