Ethanol gas question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ethanol gas question

Group, As we move closer to winter time, here in the Midwest, my 2011 Rouchcharged VMP tuned Mustang will be sitting a lot when the snow does fly, so question about fuel.
We do have a gas station here that is not listed as Top Tier, but they do sell 91 octane with no ethanol. I know that Ethanol absorbs moisture, so I am thinking to use the 100% Gas for winter with the long garage times would be better than a Top Tier gas with 10% Ethanol.
Actually car seems to like the 100% Gas, so may run it year round, But them not being listed as Top Tier make me a little nervous.
It is a Cenex Station and they do advertize the No Ethanol gas, but I don't know what additives they put in the gas.
Opinions! Thanks

Wow, This 2011 Stang is FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
GT Member

Why not get the one with ethanol and add a fuel stabilizer? That's what I do. No problem for me

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
GT Member

Fill it up would be the best with full tank

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
Rookie

I would still stick to top tier fuel station
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

" I know that Ethanol absorbs moisture,"......I hear this statement often, but it raises a couple of questions in my mind;
How exactly does moisture get into the fuel...especially if you use a lockable tank neck cap? OR is ethanol in itself a water based fuel? Any links explaining this would be greatly appreciated... for the record, I have used nothing but SHELL 91 since day one, According to info posted on their pumps, Shell 91 contains NO ethanol... the silver (midgrade) says up to 5% ethanol, bronze (regular) up to 10%...

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Why not drain the tank for the winter?

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
Apprentice

Use real gas, if you can find it..... pure-gas.org

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
" I know that Ethanol absorbs moisture,"......I hear this statement often, but it raises a couple of questions in my mind;
How exactly does moisture get into the fuel...especially if you use a lockable tank neck cap? OR is ethanol in itself a water based fuel? Any links explaining this would be greatly appreciated... for the record, I have used nothing but SHELL 91 since day one, According to info posted on their pumps, Shell 91 contains NO ethanol... the silver (midgrade) says up to 5% ethanol, bronze (regular) up to 10%...
I think it stems from the actual stations, not the cars. I know most marinas don't have ethanol fuel because of this. I imagine maybe the plates that cover the wells aren't exactly the best seal.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
How exactly does moisture get into the fuel...especially if you use a lockable tank neck cap?
From the gas supplier's underground tank. And moist air in your car gas tank condenses ...like cold moist air in the winter on single glazed windows.

Last edited by Fordsaregr8; 02-19-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: clarification: car gas tank not storage
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordsaregr8 View Post
From the gas supplier's underground tank. And moist air in your car gas tank condenses ...like cold moist air in the winter on single glazed windows.
Thanks for the informative reply, cheers!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
PONY Member

Might want to consider a well-proven octane booster. Finding the right one that gives the benefit without the drawbacks is the issue. Seems like klotzlube and toluene are generic ones worth reading about. Some links:

Which octane boost is best? | Fuels and Fuel Additives: Gasoline and Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Best OCTANE BOOSTER????? - Corvette Forum (see post #5)

Fuel Rating - Octane Comparison - Dyno Tests Graphs - Hot Rod Magazine

I've heard both good things and bad things about Torco... Depends on engine, forced injections, tune, be careful

Torco Accelerator - It's not just an octane booster

OLD LINK TESTING on 2002 engines: [sx] Octane Boosters <long_but worth the read>
PONY Member

they have nothing to do with ethanol issues
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
Might want to consider a well-proven octane booster. Finding the right one that gives the benefit without the drawbacks is the issue. Seems like klotzlube and toluene are generic ones worth reading about. Some links:

Which octane boost is best? | Fuels and Fuel Additives: Gasoline and Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Best OCTANE BOOSTER????? - Corvette Forum (see post #5)

Fuel Rating - Octane Comparison - Dyno Tests Graphs - Hot Rod Magazine

I've heard both good things and bad things about Torco... Depends on engine, forced injections, tune, be careful

Torco Accelerator - It's not just an octane booster

OLD LINK TESTING on 2002 engines: [sx] Octane Boosters <long_but worth the read>
There is no good octane booster... So you are going to tell me one pint of something is going to raise 15 gallons of 93 to 101?
If I used 104 octane gasoline it would take roughly 35 gallons of 104 to make 15 gallons of 93, 101 octane... so no there is no octane booster in a pint can.

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page