Aftermarket over axle pipes question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Aftermarket over axle pipes question

For those of you who have installed aftermarket over axle pipes on their GT (Lethal, Borla): Have you had any issues with your passenger side pipe popping out of the H-pipe?

I wouldnít have paid $3xx for a set of over axle pipes, but I did pick up a ďusedĒ set on eBay for a couple dollars less. I guess someone installed them and found their exhaust too noisy. The auction indicated they were Lethalís. They showed up looking brand new.

When I installed them I noticed the passenger side only slipped in the H-pipe band clamp about a ľĒ. I tightened up everything and it seemed solid enough so I ran it. Last week I did a long hard pull out of 4th getting onto the highway and at about 5,000 rpm all hell broke loose underneath! I thought I blew something up! First there was a hiss, then a boom, then a bunch of vibration. The passenger side pipe popped out of the H-pipe and was hanging. Luckily everything was supported well enough that I was able to get it home without dragging the hanging pipe. Driving home with an open passenger side exhaust was interesting.

I have GT500 mufflers. Everything fit fine with the stock over axle pipes. Before I slid the pipe back in the H-pipe I loosened the clamps at the over axle bend and muffler and made sure everything was routed correctly. Both mufflers are even at the valance and even with the ground. The rear most muffler hangers are perpendicular to the frame rail. I can push more into the H-pipe slip fit if I push the muffler back further on its mounts. Then it wonít line up with the driverís side looking down at the valance.

Having bought these pipes used I have no idea if the previous owner cut the passenger side shorter. The driverís side fits fine with maybe 2Ē extending into the band clamp.

I see that the passenger side pipe looks shorter on Lethalís site.

Has anyone else noticed this with theirs? Maybe thatís what I get for buying used. I canít have this side popping out whenever it feels like it, so I got a foot of stainless 2.75Ē pipe and Iím going to have a friend cut it and expand it on his machine to make a slip fit extension thatíll fit between the H-pipe and the over axle pipes. The extra cost of stainless pipe + clamps will make this whole thing equal buying a new set of pipes from Lethal or Borla. Oh well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have the borla over axles, and they were a perfect fit. I would be very surprised to find that one pipe was a couple of inches too short! If memory serves (I was just in there installing my JBA H pipe a few weekends ago), those mid clamps are what.. 4-5 inches long? Which would mean that one pipe is short by maybe 1-2"?

Have you changed out the mufflers? Is it possible that one pipe is shorter because the muffler is pushed out further on one side? You can slide the mufflers in the hangers a good inch or more, so maybe some readjustment is in order? With both over axles installed, you should be able to tell if they line up at the bends by just looking. If one looks a little "out of place", it may just be that you need to bust out the protractor/ruler and make sure your mufflers are at the same position on each side. If everything lines up and a pipe is still short, you could maybe borrow a little room on the clamp from the H pipe side.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

GT500 mufflers. The tips are about even with one another looking at the rear valance. The rubber muffler hangers at the tip end of the muffler are hanging straight down. The tips are spaced fairly evenly in the valance cut out.

I can get more clamping at the H-pipe if I push the passenger side muffler forward. Then it wonít be even with the other one and the tip will point up a bit more than the other. I popped the H-pipeís band clamp off the peg itís clipped to and slid it back until I install a fix. Iíd say, as installed, the passenger side pipe is about 2Ē shorter than the driverís side at the H-pipe. Maybe a bit less. I didnít do much measuring. I did a lot of loosening, pushing pipes around, eyeballing, and cursing.

I watched Lethalís video. The correct pipes are on the correct side.

As it sits now the mufflers are even with one another Ė by eye. I didnít get out protractors and slide rules to make sure they are within a mm of each other. They donít look ďoffĒ going down the road. From there the pipes are level with one another before they bend over the axle, with maybe a finger thickness distance between them and the plastic cover over the gas tank. The only real length to be gained is by pushing the muffler forward and that messes up the look at the bumper.

So Iím guessing that my one pipe was cut shorter at the H-pipe end for some reason by the previous owner. Or maybe my rear valance was messed up before I took delivery. Or maybe the engine or H-pipe are installed crooked.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino500 View Post
Or maybe the engine or H-pipe are installed crooked.
You nailed it!! lol -- it sounds like just for whatever reason one pipe is short. That's really unusual, but if you moved the clamp and it sounds okay and not like an 80's datsun with rusted out exhaust, you'll probably be fine.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Let's see... 'Used' pipes... Ebay... Hmm, I wonder why the seller sold them? I'd guess he either made them himself (incorrectly), or bought them from some other shady 'manufacturer' and discovered they didn't fit, or something similar.
Reminds me of the old swap meet line-

Will this fit my car?

Dunno, what kinda car?

Ford.

Yep, that's what it (part with GM logo on it) came off of!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page