long tube headers with catted H-pipe? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
long tube headers with catted H-pipe?

I've seen a few kits with catted x-pipe, but I don't want the raspiness associated with that. Are there any full kits, or (same brand) separates that have long tubes and a catted H-pipe? I have to pass emissions here and don't want to try a tune that will lie to the system.

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
(with Procal): [email protected] 1.913 60' on stock Goodyears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Kooks has a nice set, excellent quality and fitment.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
Apprentice

I bought the JBA Stainless & Ceramic Long tube headers and catted H-Pipe and they were very nice quality and priced right so I could keep modding the car. The Kooks are nice but not a long tube. More of a mid-length header.

JBA 3" Catted H-Pipe
JBA High Flow H-pipe with Cats (Use with JBA LT Headers Only) - 2011+ Ford Mustang GT (5.0L) [6685SHC] - $636.70$409.95 : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!

JBA 1 7/8" Long Tubes
JBA 1 7/8" Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers (Silver Coated)- 2011+ Ford Mustang GT (5.0L) [6685SJS] - $1,067.21$719.95 : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
2011 gt 4 me, what are you using to go from the H to the axle backs?
racin366, which Kooks set? Got a part number to check out?

2013 Brembo GT, auto, black, tint; JLT CAI; 93R V2 Bama tune; GT500 axle-back; MMD hood struts, J&M rear LCA's; SR Performance lowering springs; Eibach camber bolts; J&M aluminum adjustable panhard bar; FRPP shocks and struts; GT500 strut mounts; DSS aluminum drive shaft

Personal best 1/4 @ Royal Purple (Bama 93H): [email protected] 1.936 stock Goodyears:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goresnet View Post
racin366, which Kooks set? Got a part number to check out?

You can check out both their 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" long tubes and midpipes here. The page only lists catted midpipes, but they have offroad as well. They are not the cheapest, but nobody has better quality, fitment, or performance.

Kooks Long Tube Headers for 2011 and Up Ford Mustang - Free Shipping!

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
You can use the factory over axle pipes or I have the Lethal over axle pipes on mine.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks again. I hear that JBA is Lethal, so so that seems like a pretty good choice.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

While the topic is here, what's the deal with emissions and aftermarket cat's? If one were to go the kooks longtube route with a catted H, with appropriate tune, functioning O2's etc., will you still pass emissions without issue? I realize this varies state to state, I guess I would be more interested in Georgia.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have the Kooks set up. None better! Absolutely no problems passing inspection.

2011 GT Preminum, Red Candy Metallic, 4.10, Electronics, Rear View, Comfort, Security, Borla, 20" Saleen, FRPP springs, CS front valance w/fogs, Roush billet grille, Roush TVS 625hp, Kooks LT's and Catted H Pipe, Tremec Magumn XL, McLeod RXT, AutoMeter Gauges, Dynotech DS, Steeda adjustable UCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCA's, Steeda A/O Separator, Tokico D-Specs, Raptor Shift Light, engine by Shrader Performance, Tune by ProDyno, 643rwhp, 548lb/ft tq

Last edited by B Square; 11-21-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: additional info
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I imagine it would pass with cats, even aftermarket cats. But off road pipes without cats wouldn't pass. The part of Texas I'm in has pretty strict emissions standards, I believe.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Interesting. Just with all the talk about how awesome the stock cats are, people seem to crap on the aftermarket cats and talk about possible emissions issues etc.. Going the LT route, it doesn't leave you much choice! Knowing this, I think I'll probably jump on some Kooks LT's later this year, probably summer time.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Planning on going with a catted mid pipe?

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Planning on going with a catted mid pipe?

Yep, probably the catted H. Like the sound of an H over the X.

Apprentice

What horsepower gains are you getting with kooks LT and catted h-pipe after tuning it on a 2011 5.0 ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
GT Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarius View Post
Yep, probably the catted H. Like the sound of an H over the X.
I have the 1 3/4" Kooks with Catted H, stock over axle, and GT500 Axle backs. I really like the way it sounds. I will try to post a video later that I took shortly after they were installed. I need to make another video here pretty soon because It seems like it got louder. Loud enough I am hesitating to replace the over axles with either Borla or Lethal? over axle pipes that might provide a gain of 7 hp.

In regards to emissions. After awhile some codes were getting thrown so AM/Bama shut off the codes that were tripping. So my guess is the Kooks Cats are not as efficient as the stock ones, or I blew them up somehow.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page