Question About Exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andylaiphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 25
 
Question About Exhaust

I am coming from the VW world and am in completely new territory over here with the Mustangs. On my VW, in regards to intake and exhaust, we had the CAI, downpipe, and catback exhaust. I notice that there are short pipes, long pipes, h pipes, and many new words/parts that I'm unfamiliar with.

Anybody have a link to a source to learn about all these different pieces? Or willing to take the time to reply with this info?

Thanks.

andylaiphoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Sharad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 6,462
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaiphoto View Post
I am coming from the VW world and am in completely new territory over here with the Mustangs. On my VW, in regards to intake and exhaust, we had the CAI, downpipe, and catback exhaust. I notice that there are short pipes, long pipes, h pipes, and many new words/parts that I'm unfamiliar with.

Anybody have a link to a source to learn about all these different pieces? Or willing to take the time to reply with this info?

Thanks.
Our cars have shorty headers. They're only about a foot long. Then, there are two catalytic converters, one on each side, right where the h-pipe connects to the factory headers. The factory h-pipe connects to the factory cat-back or over the axle pipes starting around the back seat area. There are resonator (tube style) mufflers right under the back seat, then the pipes go over the axle. Just behind the axle, there is another flange where the factory mufflers or axle-back exhaust connects.

Axle back mufflers make the cars sound much better, but they only add a few horsepower, maybe 2 or 3. Off road mid pipes (no catalytics) can add 15-20 horsepower, but you need a custom tune to disable the rear O2 sensors so they don't throw a check engine light on the dash. Shorty headers can make some power, but the real power is made (around 40hp) by installing Long Tube headers, an off road mid pipe, and free flowing mufflers.

Here are the 2011-14 exhaust components we carry at UPR:

2011-2014 Ford Mustang Exhaust - UPR Products



Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sharad is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andylaiphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
Our cars have shorty headers. They're only about a foot long. Then, there are two catalytic converters, one on each side, right where the h-pipe connects to the factory headers. The factory h-pipe connects to the factory cat-back or over the axle pipes starting around the back seat area. There are resonator (tube style) mufflers right under the back seat, then the pipes go over the axle. Just behind the axle, there is another flange where the factory mufflers or axle-back exhaust connects.

Axle back mufflers make the cars sound much better, but they only add a few horsepower, maybe 2 or 3. Off road mid pipes (no catalytics) can add 15-20 horsepower, but you need a custom tune to disable the rear O2 sensors so they don't throw a check engine light on the dash. Shorty headers can make some power, but the real power is made (around 40hp) by installing Long Tube headers, an off road mid pipe, and free flowing mufflers.

Here are the 2011-14 exhaust components we carry at UPR:

2011-2014 Ford Mustang Exhaust - UPR Products
Thank so much for the reply. Is it fair to say that between the different brands you'll get roughly the same amount of gains for each individual piece of the exhaust system?
andylaiphoto is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
PONY Member
 
5 pt oh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 539
 
If you want loud at all times, flow master outlaws. If you want loud only when you step on it, but double the price, borla or corsa have really good reviews. To put it in perspective some axle backs cost $1000. My catback cost $700.




Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual transmission-BBK Longtube headers-BBK O/R X- Borla S Type mufflers- Dolce DC34 Matte Black wheels - 255/35/20 Nexen N3000 all around.
Raxiom halos, all lights smoked, louvers, Tuned by Lund Racing
5 pt oh is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
GT Member
S197 Member
 
csamsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 2,259
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaiphoto View Post
Thank so much for the reply. Is it fair to say that between the different brands you'll get roughly the same amount of gains for each individual piece of the exhaust system?
NO. Where headers are concerned, you get what you pay for. ARH/Kooks are great. Also, the tune is very important. I know of people making power in the 430's at the wheels with intake, ARH headers, catted x-pipe, and catback on a good tune. There are also people saying you get 20hp out of headers and they're not worth it.

IMO, if you're going to undergo the pain that is a header install ($600 from a shop for labor would be a bargain), then you might as well spend the money and get the good parts and a dyno tune as well. I would plan on at least $3000 for a complete exhaust, install, and tune, if you go for top quality.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

csamsh is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andylaiphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
NO. Where headers are concerned, you get what you pay for. ARH/Kooks are great. Also, the tune is very important. I know of people making power in the 430's at the wheels with intake, ARH headers, catted x-pipe, and catback on a good tune. There are also people saying you get 20hp out of headers and they're not worth it.

IMO, if you're going to undergo the pain that is a header install ($600 from a shop for labor would be a bargain), then you might as well spend the money and get the good parts and a dyno tune as well. I would plan on at least $3000 for a complete exhaust, install, and tune, if you go for top quality.
Thanks, I have buddies that are shop techs who will help me out with install of the bolt on stuff. I haven't researched much into the tunes just yet.

That's about what it cost for premium stuff for the VW too so that's not a shock.

How do you like your shifter? After reading all the tranny threads it looks like an aftermarket unit might be in order.
andylaiphoto is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
GT Member
S197 Member
 
csamsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 2,259
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaiphoto View Post
Thanks, I have buddies that are shop techs who will help me out with install of the bolt on stuff. I haven't researched much into the tunes just yet.

That's about what it cost for premium stuff for the VW too so that's not a shock.

How do you like your shifter? After reading all the tranny threads it looks like an aftermarket unit might be in order.
I love the MGW + Whiteline bushing insert combo. Honestly, you can probably achieve much the same effect with just the bushing insert and a better rear shifter bracket.

Barton and MGW seem to be the "premium" offerings as far as shifters are concerned, and the ones you see recommended most often.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

csamsh is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member
 
randeez11's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4,842
 
The factory exhaust manifolds ( actually headers) aren't that bad. In my case, Im running factory headers, stock cats, 3" Hearthrobe mid pipes and Corsa Extreme mufflers. My car made 550 rwhp on the dyno in over 85 % humidity. My tuner told me on a cooler day, the car would make upwards of 560 rwhp.
Granted, my car is supercharged, which you would think would require a much
"larger" exhaust system. but think about it. 550 rwhp, through stock manifolds. Larger longtube headers would unarguably produce more power. But my point is, if a supercharged motor can produce these kind of power level through stock manifolds, do you really need a "big" exhaust, on a relatively stock car. Just my .02, as usual.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
randeez11 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Conejo172's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Glenmont
Posts: 2,279
 
Good points randeez

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
Conejo172 is offline  
Apprentice
 
Tim Comer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Maysville
Posts: 245
 
When it comes to exhaust, the factory Ford system is pretty good with just standard engine upgrades. Most header gains seem to come from deleting the cats. Not something I'd want to do. Axle backs do very little. And X-pipes alone seem to do very little. But I do see small gains from some cat back exhaust. And with those systems, the resonators are replaced with straight pipe. Makes me wonder if the resonator is the true weak link in the system.

2011 Mustang GT, A6,Vortech by Beefcake, Beefcake Torque Booster, Circle D 2C, P305/35R18 M/T Street Radial IIs, Ford FRPP Springs, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR UCA and LCAs, DSS Shaft, Koni yellows, Lethal OR-H and OAP, Flowmaster Hushpowers
Tim Comer is offline  
Apprentice
 
5.0PhilGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Plano
Posts: 227
 
Hey Andy, there's several guys on here from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, including me. I'm sure there's a meet or some guys that would be willing to let you check out their setups.

'11 5.0 SG 6MT Brembo 3.73 Borla S-Type Catback
5.0PhilGT is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andylaiphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0PhilGT View Post
Hey Andy, there's several guys on here from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, including me. I'm sure there's a meet or some guys that would be willing to let you check out their setups.
Keep me posted on the meets.
andylaiphoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1