Need info on supercharging - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Need info on supercharging

Well, im finally in the market for a supercharger and need help on some info. whats the max i could go on stock coyote. without having to buy anything extra. what would be my best choice? love the new i-1 but kinda pricey. whats the max i could on the engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013
GT Member

What do you mean "buy anything extra"? Technically you can just hook up the kit and call it a day, BUT it is not recommended. If you have a tuner in your area that you will be using to tune the car after the supercharger is put on, sit down with him, and tell him your goals for the car and he can help you built it with info and what parts are needed.

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

i have been told i will need new clutch and all my internals will need replacing after the first few thousand miles. i want a 700 rwhp street machine that will last.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsusteve9 View Post
i have been told i will need new clutch and all my internals will need replacing after the first few thousand miles. i want a 700 rwhp street machine that will last.
My car is supercharged at 545rwhp. You have a lot more nerve than me. I wouldn't even consider 700 rwhp on a stock bottom end Coyote. The connecting rods are powdered metal. True enough, the tuning has a lot to do with alleviating problems. But 700 rwhp on a street motor running on I presume would be pump fuel, would be more than running on the edge. The stock rods will self destruct at the very first sign of detonation.
In my opinion 600 rwhp is about as far as one should consider venturing , without extensive engine modification. But again, this is my opinion. I would personally love to up my power to 700 rwhp. But at this point, I dont feel like changing the engine over to an aluminator with forged lower compression pistons and good forged steel rods.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013
GT Member

Most people who dream about big number cars hasnt been in a car with more than 300 rwhp. Theres a difference between a 300 and 500 rwhp car. A HUGE difference between 500 and 600 rwhp. And an insane difference between 600 and 700 rwhp. Have you ever have a car snap sideways while doing 80 mph on the highway? Scariest thing ever. And with 700rwhp you can bet that will happen alot more than you wish it would.

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013
PONY Member

That transmission is potentially going to be problematic as well IMO. It's rated at a little less than 400ft/lbs.

I'm doing SAE 580rwhp and 485ft/lbs and my MT82 took a dump at 8K miles. The Mustang is currently sitting in the garage at the mechanic's waiting on my new Tremec XL Magnum to arrive for installation.

I'm not saying every MT82 will crap out, but mine did.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

Don't chase a number

Best way to make your life misery is chasing a number. I personally know a guy that blew up TWO COYOTES trying to chase 700 whp. He hit it and it only cost him 25k. Trust and believe you will be happy with anything in the 500 to 600 whp range. you do not need the biggest schwantz in the room. You just need a bigger schwantz. Be happy with it cause there will always be a guy with a bigger better schwantz than you.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 N/A 522 rwhp, 378rwt, Boss Intake Manifold, Comp Stage Two Cams, Livernois Ported Heads, Kooks Headers and X pipe, Wiseco Forged Pistons, Manley Rods, Polished / Balanced Forged Crank, Boss Valve Springs, Boss Oil Cooler, Boss Oil Pan, Cortex/JRI SA Coilovers, Boss 302 Springs, Boss 302r steering rack, Boss 302s front lower control arms, Cortex Watts Link, Cortex Torque Arm, Cortex Adjustable Lower Control Arm, MM K Member,MM Caster Camber Plates, Torsen T2r Differential,
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
i want a 700 rwhp street machine
Why?

Sounds to me from this thread you will be looking at a short ride and a fast end to your car and maybe your life and someone elses too.

IMO, you need to take a step back and consider your goals for your car, then work up to them slowly, one step at a time.

Suddenly jumping in the deep end without knowing how to swim is a quick way to drown.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

"i want a 700 rwhp street machine that will last." Then be prepared to spend about $20,000. The first $10K will be for a rebuild of your existing engine with all the right components, forged rods, crank etc. The next $10K will be for a supercharger installation with full custom setup/tune.

Then you need to put about $15K in your bank account, just in case your rebuilt mega cool motor lunches itself and you have to start all over again.

Oops, I forgot to add, figure in a minimum $4K for suspension upgrades and a wider set of wheels/tires.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewayflyer View Post
"i want a 700 rwhp street machine that will last." Then be prepared to spend about $20,000. The first $10K will be for a rebuild of your existing engine with all the right components, forged rods, crank etc. The next $10K will be for a supercharger installation with full custom setup/tune.

Then you need to put about $15K in your bank account, just in case your rebuilt mega cool motor lunches itself and you have to start all over again.

Oops, I forgot to add, figure in a minimum $4K for suspension upgrades and a wider set of wheels/tires.
Yeah. That's about right. Forged internals, supercharger, injectors, big intake, and a tune. You should be good. Be aware that if you make ANY mistakes under load it will cost you in cash and parts instantly, no ifs ands or buts. I've been making over 600rwhp for the past 20k miles and I haven't had any problems. I don't plan on any more upgrades besides injectors. I'm at a VERY happy place with my car. And for those saying that 700rwhp is too much for a streetable dd car they have no idea what they're talking about. If you drive it responsibly and maintain situational awareness you'll have a long happy life with your ride. As a matter of fact I'm about to run to the store and pick up dry cleaning in almost freezing rain... no worries.

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush 79mm Pulley ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake GT500 Axlebacks UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs Koni STR.Ts 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
you do not need the biggest schwantz in the room. You just need a bigger schwantz. Be happy with it cause there will always be a guy with a bigger better schwantz than you.
Awesome! Truth! haha

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Also, while we are at it. A lot of guys dont realize that there is often a big difference between a powerful car, and a fast car. Making big power is one thing. Getting to use it, is quite another.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Making big power is one thing. Getting to use it, is quite another.
Unless your intended use is disintegrating tires.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I appreciate all the info... as i was only asking because basically was engine life on that much power and parts etc.. Ive caught the boost bug. realistically i only thought 600-650 rwhp at most but figured i would see what kind of information i could get from you guys. thanks again
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
I appreciate all the info... as i was only asking because basically was engine life on that much power and parts etc.. Ive caught the boost bug. realistically i only thought 600-650 rwhp at most but figured i would see what kind of information i could get from you guys. thanks again
I'm not quite sure why everyone is giving you a hard time. If you want 700hp and you can afford it, do it. Drive carefully and work up to the car's limits, and you'll be safe. I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Yes, 700rwhp on the street is just a big burnout show, but it's a FUN burnout show! There are worse addictions to have...

Anyway, one of my facebook friends ran 10.0s in the quarter mile on his STOCK engine, trans, and rear end with a ProCharger. Here is the ProCharger blog about it:

ProCharger Supercharger Blog BOSS

We sell ProChargers at UPR Products:

11-13 Mustang 5.0 Procharger Supercharger HO Kit 1FR214-SCI

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page