Rear O2 Sensors ON w/ Longtubes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Rear O2 Sensors ON w/ Longtubes

Has anyone been able to run with LTs while keeping the rear O2s on in the tune? Is it possible, with HiFlos added, to NOT throw any codes? ...I'm curious in regards to the OBDII Emissions tests...Specifically, when it runs the "System Readiness" check. If you have the O2 sensors turned off in your tune, I'm told the test reads "Not Ready"...and you fail...

I'll be moving to Illinois in about 6 months, and I want to BURN rubber out of California with a fresh set of LTs and my middle finger out the window. So, in order to pass the IL emissions test when i get there (which is all OBDII and no sniffer I'm told)...I can't be throwing codes or failing a "System Readiness" test..

1.) Non-fouler during the LT install?
2.) Have my tuner write me 2 tunes. One with O2s off, one on. Flash the ECU, drive 50 miles so everything resets while hoping no codes get thrown, and run the emissions test again...?

Happy Thanksgiving!

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

UPDATE: Spoke to a friend in Illinois who has a shop. Says they've worked on a # of cars/trucks equipped with LTs with the rear O2s turned off - and they have all passed emissions....Maybe I'm just being neurotic?

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

With the proper tune there shouldn't be any system readiness issue.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

So, I'm running a custom tune that has the rear 02s turned off. I also had my tuner write me the same tune but with the rear 02s turned on. I'm thinking a spark plug non-fouler is what I'll end up having to do. I'm looking at 2 options here...

Option 1: 2 non-foulers stacked on each other with the top one being drilled 1/2" so the sensor fits in. Check out the pics in this thread:
How to - o2 Non-fouler/Cheater - NewCelica.org Forum

Option 2: a 90* style non-fouler.

02 Oxygen Sensor Extender 90 Degree Angle O2 for Downpipe M18 x 1 5 Spacer O2 | eBay

Any one have any first hand experience doing either? Any and all reviews are helpful. I think I'm going to choose one, install them, and then flash with my tune that has the sensors on. And see if the CEL goes on or not...

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013
PONY Member

Chiz do option 1 and add a bit of fine 0000 stainless steel wool inside and see if that helps. Have your rear o2s turned on. I think the size spark plug non fouler you need is 2 , 18mm. Last time I checked was on orileys auto parts web site.

names Alex
2013 premium GT race red, order 3/23/12 ,doa 5/3/12
roush axle backs,pypes x pipe,resonator deletes, jlt oil catch can,20% tint, sr pc blk strut tower bar, painted engine bay and airaid cai, 93R] Bama tune, full roush splitters,cs rear diffuser,stillen gen 1 chin splitter, am black billet hidden fog light grille.Ford p springs, koni Orange struts, shocks, gt500 mounts, eibach sways, umi lca+reloc brak, 19x9.5 sve pc gloss blk wheels, cooper ra3 275/40/19 tires
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

ChiZ.im already in the same boat without any longtubes. My 2011 GT with the Procharger was custom tuned . it shows 3 not ready codes with my scanner. I am running factory headers and cats. My tuner must have turned off a few things. I have 3 years before required testing, and will have to find out.
On my V6 car already having long tubes and high flows installed, the tuner said I will have to return the tune to stock, in order to pass emissions, as they do turn the rear sensors off ( this is a different tuner than the person who tuned my supercharged car)I don't know if I can return to a stock tune with the Procharger just to get an emissions test. these are all questions Im going to ask.
Where I live, they are allowing you to get a conditional pass with not ready codes, as long as they aren't CEL codes. But you have to pay for another test, at half the original test cost.
But they are only doing this to help out car lots who have problems with removing/ charging batteries etc.
Anyways, I will have to call my tuner, and ask what can be done when emission time comes around.
I am also very interested in long tube headers and high flow cats. If they can be set up to pass, I want them. So far, we have ( where I live) no problems with visual inspections. As long as they see some sort of convertor on there, they are happy.
Damn, would it be fun if we didn't have all those ridiculous emissions programs.
All they are is a feel good tax grab, IMO.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013
Apprentice

Randeez, You can't run any stock tune with procharger installed, I live in NY and have LTH's with catted x pipe, Jon Lund wrote me a tune specifically to pass emissions test, which it did without issue. I then have another tune for catless x pipe for after test, takes me 15 minutes to switch out. Not sure what type of test you have in your area though. Ours just plugs into OBD
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb3492 View Post
Randeez, You can't run any stock tune with procharger installed, I live in NY and have LTH's with catted x pipe, Jon Lund wrote me a tune specifically to pass emissions test, which it did without issue. I then have another tune for catless x pipe for after test, takes me 15 minutes to switch out. Not sure what type of test you have in your area though. Ours just plugs into OBD
Thanks for the input. mb. I guess Ill talk to my tuner, before I have to get an emissions test and se what he has to say. Has to be something he can do to get it to pass.
And yes, in our area, we have the plug in OBD testing.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have American Racing long tubes with their hi flow cats. I had a check engine light at first, so I bought 2 sets of the non-foulers, put 2 on each side and the check engine light went off and has yet to come back. They have been on there for a least 5k miles at this point. Definitely worth trying, it only cost me about $10 and about 15 minutes.

2012 Black GT Premium
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve318a View Post
I have American Racing long tubes with their hi flow cats. I had a check engine light at first, so I bought 2 sets of the non-foulers, put 2 on each side and the check engine light went off and has yet to come back. They have been on there for a least 5k miles at this point. Definitely worth trying, it only cost me about $10 and about 15 minutes.
That's what i like to hear!

I'll update this thread in a couple weeks with an update + pictures. I need to buy a new rear 02 sensor anyway since the threads were jacked up on the stock one when we took it off the stock pipes. I currently just have it bunged off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).JPG
Views:	1008
Size:	556.7 KB
ID:	297977  

PONY Member

Steve318 are tuned? Or did you add the lts and o2 foulers with no tune.also where did u purchase the non foulers from?

names Alex
roush axle backs,pypes x pipe,resonator deletes, jlt oil catch can,20% tint, sr pc blk strut tower bar, painted engine bay and airaid cai, 93R] Bama tune, full roush splitters,cs rear diffuser,stillen gen 1 chin splitter, am black billet hidden fog light grille.Ford p springs, koni Orange struts, shocks, gt500 mounts, eibach sways, umi lca+reloc brak, 19x9.5 sve pc gloss blk wheels, cooper ra3 275/40/19 tires
PONY Member

Hey Chiz maybe well meet up next year there's the biggest show of the year they do in Schaumburg. Its called anotherlevel. Car show. They use to do it like fast and furious Tokyo drift in a 4 story parking garage. This year was in a field the size of 3 football fields. I didn't get to go though. But there's a lot of big shows in that town.

names Alex
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yeah I have a Bama tune, but I think they will leave the rear O2 sensors unless you specify you have an off road mid pipe. You can buy the non-foulers anywhere, I got mine at pep boys. Google Dorman 42002, thats the part I used. You have to drill one of them out (for each side) to widen the opening enough for the sensor to fit into it.

2012 Black GT Premium
PONY Member

Koo yea I had to do the same when I had my ram drill then add a bit of fine ss wool and had no issue's with cels

names Alex
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsuave View Post
Hey Chiz maybe well meet up next year there's the biggest show of the year they do in Schaumburg. Its called anotherlevel. Car show. They use to do it like fast and furious Tokyo drift in a 4 story parking garage. This year was in a field the size of 3 football fields. I didn't get to go though. But there's a lot of big shows in that town.
That sounds awesome. I'm in! We'll stay in touch.

I'll let you all know how this non-fouler experiment works ASAP. Merry xmas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page