Smooth Out Calipers Before Painting, How? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Smooth Out Calipers Before Painting, How?

I'm buying a set of OEM take-off GT calipers front & rear. My plan is to paint them or have them powder coated. But before doing that I want to make them smooth as possible, the OEM calipers are pretty rough.

What is the best way to do that? Bead-Blasting? Sand Blasting? Some other technique?

2014 Base GT Black, 6-speed Manual, Tech Package and 3.73 Gears
MODS: GT500 Axlebacks / Cat Delete / Pypes X-Pipe / Strut Tower Brace / OEM leather seats / Black 19" Brembo Wheels / Steeda CAI / BBR 93 Oct Tune / Roush Lowering Springs / BBR Panhard Bar / Whiteline LCAs / Barton Shifter / 8 Ball Shift Knob / JLT Oil Catch Can / Shorty Antenna / RTR Chin Spoiler / CDC Grill / Drilled Rotors / Black Calipers / Hawk HPS PADS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrishMasher View Post
I'm buying a set of OEM take-off GT calipers front & rear. My plan is to paint them or have them powder coated. But before doing that I want to make them smooth as possible, the OEM calipers are pretty rough.

What is the best way to do that? Bead-Blasting? Sand Blasting? Some other technique?
Use a portable grinder, then some sandpaper to smooth out the casting ridges. Then you're ready to paint or powder coat them.

2011 GT black,6mt,3.73,Brembo,Vorschlag/Bilstein/Eibach, Scott Drake LCA brackets, adj. panhard bar, JHR shifter, bracket, and clutch line, Metco upper control arm & bracket, J&M Extreme lower control arms, RTR front spoiler, coming eventually Forgestar 18x11 wheels.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member

A die grinder would work too. Get a couple carbide burrs and then some sand paper cartridge rolls.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
Rookie

I would think that since the powdercoating process involves a preliminary sandblast.... that should take the roughness out. Also, the "melting" of the powdercoat during the heat process should even out the surface considerably.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
PONY Member

My choice of tool would be a dremel. Do not rely on sandbllasting, that will not smooth out the surface. Here is a thread showing the results of using a dremel and then painting the calipers. After spending as much time as this person did on making the calipers look really nice, I would have chose to have the calipers powder coated rather than painting them. I wonder how the paint has held up? My guess is they may have not wanted to disassemble the calipers to have them powder coated.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-calipers.html

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_VS View Post
I would think that since the powdercoating process involves a preliminary sandblast.... that should take the roughness out. Also, the "melting" of the powdercoat during the heat process should even out the surface considerably.
Sand blasting is a cleaning and surface prep process, and depending on the media being used can actually make the surface rougher if you're not careful.

There are lots of different abrasives out there to use for smoothing out the calipers, flap wheels, disc grinders of all sizes.

You just don't want to go too far in the smoothing process.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013
PONY Member

A lot of work with a dremel + sanding wheel. It's not too hard. Just takes a while.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hawkeye, those are amazing looking for what they are.

I was going to say just apply the caliper paint and finely sand between coats, but that blue looks amazing!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013
Californicajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
A lot of work with a dremel + sanding wheel. It's not too hard. Just takes a while.

Wow, that is sick!! Awesome looking.
GT Member

Quote:

those do look amazing! Is that powder coat?

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

PONY Member

Quote:

I pride myself with having the shiniest car in any parking lot...and this piece is shinier than my car!!!

Last edited by magnido45; 12-31-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: mistype
Rookie

Quote:

Damn

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Mustang GT Kona Blue Premium
Brembo Package
19" GT500 wheels

Sold

2011 Mustang V6
Sterling Grey

PONY Member

Lol thanks. It's powdercoated Candy Blue. The powdercoater did a very good job. It is the caliper to a '94 Taurus SHO. This is what it looked like on the car (the bracket was powdercoated black):

I think powdercoating is a good option.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 5.0 View Post
My choice of tool would be a dremel. Do not rely on sandbllasting, that will not smooth out the surface. Here is a thread showing the results of using a dremel and then painting the calipers. After spending as much time as this person did on making the calipers look really nice, I would have chose to have the calipers powder coated rather than painting them. I wonder how the paint has held up? My guess is they may have not wanted to disassemble the calipers to have them powder coated.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-calipers.html
Spot on! I used my Dremel tool as well with the supplied sandpaper cartridges as the end result was perfectly smooth, I then bought a pack of 10 finer sandpaper and went over it with those, baby ass smooth, had mine done over a 2 day period, all 4 calipers, then masked and painted with a black high heat automotive paint,( 4 thin coats lightly sanded with ultra fine sandpaper in between coats, finished with a matt clear coat ) , that was done 2 years ago, and it still looks new !

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page