2012 Mustang GT Tick - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
JJH
Rookie
 
JJH's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 45
 
I had the ignitor tick on my 2012 GT too. Ended up trading mine because everytime I took it to ford, it was always no problem found! I even had a recording of the noise for them.


Black 2012 GT Premium Coupe
MT82 / 3.73 gears / Brembo Package
JJH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
0312WhiteBlck's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: OC
Posts: 16
 
Here are the images I took of the new short block, and then some of the old short block.

New short block number?


New shortblock :



Old short block:



Piston they were looking at:



old Piston's rings:



Different old piston:






I apologize if the pictures suck, they were kind of hovering over me and the space was cramped. I also have no idea where to find the block numbers so hopefully someone who knows these engines can see it in the pictures.

0312WhiteBlck is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
xarius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 714
 
I'm very impressed your dealership has gone to these lengths. The two times I've had mine in for the same tick, the service advisor admitted he heard it plain as day, yet both techs reported back no problem found/no noise detected. I'm pretty stumped on where to go from here. Surely someone at fords engineering team can speak up and say what this actually is??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
xarius is offline  
 
PONY Member
 
moonrakercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elora
Posts: 323
 
OMFG - will you look at those pistons (awesome pics Al !) there is almost no skirt on them !!! No f***** wonder ford is seeing slap in these engines - I'd put money on it Al that if you look at the new pistons in the new shortblock you would find they have longer skirts on them !!! This really looks like an engineering design flaw - I've always wondered how in H*ll my engine can rev up so fast to 7K - now I know - all the rotating mass has been minimized - and there is little weight to spin - but we end up with other problems.

You prob wont be able to see the new skirts on the new pistons if the shortblock has the oil pan on it (which it should).

Ok - now I'm a 10W30 man with Zinc additive for sure.

I wonder if the pistons have been changed for the 2014 model year ??

Awesome pics again Al - if you can find out anymore about things please let us know.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
moonrakercat is offline  
PONY Member
 
moonrakercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elora
Posts: 323
 
Al you also have an amazing dealer - see if you can find out the part #'s for the pistons - the old ones and the new ones - this may very well be the key to the mystery.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
moonrakercat is offline  
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
0312WhiteBlck's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: OC
Posts: 16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
OMFG - will you look at those pistons (awesome pics Al !) there is almost no skirt on them !!! No f***** wonder ford is seeing slap in these engines - I'd put money on it Al that if you look at the new pistons in the new shortblock you would find they have longer skirts on them !!! This really looks like an engineering design flaw - I've always wondered how in H*ll my engine can rev up so fast to 7K - now I know - all the rotating mass has been minimized - and there is little weight to spin - but we end up with other problems.

You prob wont be able to see the new skirts on the new pistons if the shortblock has the oil pan on it (which it should).

Ok - now I'm a 10W30 man with Zinc additive for sure.

I wonder if the pistons have been changed for the 2014 model year ??

Awesome pics again Al - if you can find out anymore about things please let us know.


Hmm.. so the piston skirts are what making it tick? Did they try to supplement that by having these oil squirters below the pistons and cool off the metal?

Maybe if you check the first two pictures on the post, isn't there a number or some picture on the piston itself? Maybe I can e-mail you the full size picture and zoom into it so you can see it better.

If not on the picture, is there a place I can find them on the pistons?
0312WhiteBlck is offline  
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
0312WhiteBlck's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: OC
Posts: 16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xarius View Post
I'm very impressed your dealership has gone to these lengths. The two times I've had mine in for the same tick, the service advisor admitted he heard it plain as day, yet both techs reported back no problem found/no noise detected. I'm pretty stumped on where to go from here. Surely someone at fords engineering team can speak up and say what this actually is??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah, I've been going to this dealership since I was 18. Before me my Grandpa used to go there. They are pretty awesome with their customer service.

They gave me a rental for the whole duration of the repair. It's a pretty cool little Fiesta.

If you live in California, its located in Placentia. Fairway Ford.
0312WhiteBlck is offline  
GT Member
 
T3RM1N8R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,448
 
Lol boys, stop scaring me. Seriously.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
T3RM1N8R is offline  
PONY Member
 
billabongrob's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 379
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0312WhiteBlck View Post
Yeah, I switched to redline 5w20 and it started happening. I wanted to see if anyone had tried a heavier oil weight. I guess the 302 uses a 5w 50.

Yeah, I'm running 5w50 because of the noises my engine was making. Smoothed it out a lot but didn't completely fix the tick.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 5.0 - Deep Impact Blue
Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
TWS CCW: 2:03.02
billabongrob is offline  
PONY Member
 
moonrakercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elora
Posts: 323
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0312WhiteBlck View Post
Hmm.. so the piston skirts are what making it tick? Did they try to supplement that by having these oil squirters below the pistons and cool off the metal?

Maybe if you check the first two pictures on the post, isn't there a number or some picture on the piston itself? Maybe I can e-mail you the full size picture and zoom into it so you can see it better.

If not on the picture, is there a place I can find them on the pistons?
The piston skirt is there to help keep the piston centered in the bore - the shorter the skirt the greater tendancy for the piston to "rock" at the top of the stroke. When it rocks the bottom of the skirt will hit the cylinder wall resulting in a loud tick or slapping sound - it does not happen all the time but sometimes more than normal depending on the engine temp, fuel, timing, bore clearance - piston ring spacing etc. To really eliminate the problem the best thing to do may be to lengthen the skirt - and that gives me the idea that the piston design has been changed. If you know the #'s we can see pics of the pistons on fords website.

I know my old pistons from my 69 chev 350 had a much longer skirt on them. But that engine did not rev up nearly as fast as our engines - they are really amazing compared to the older designs.

I think this is just a characteristic of these engines we have to accept.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
moonrakercat is offline  
PONY Member
 
moonrakercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elora
Posts: 323
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabongrob View Post
Yeah, I'm running 5w50 because of the noises my engine was making. Smoothed it out a lot but didn't completely fix the tick.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Knowing that I would bet that factory engines have some serious moly anti-friction additive put in at the factory. Slick 50 or duralube might make a serious difference. Just my guess - but I have an uncanny way of being right sometimes. Not always though.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
moonrakercat is offline  
PONY Member
 
moonrakercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elora
Posts: 323
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0312WhiteBlck View Post
Hmm.. so the piston skirts are what making it tick? Did they try to supplement that by having these oil squirters below the pistons and cool off the metal?

Maybe if you check the first two pictures on the post, isn't there a number or some picture on the piston itself? Maybe I can e-mail you the full size picture and zoom into it so you can see it better.

If not on the picture, is there a place I can find them on the pistons?
The part # should be embossed on the bottom inside of the piston - if you get a chance please measure the length of the skirt on the old pistons - ie from the top of the carbon coated surface to the bottom of the "skirt" (bottom of skirt touches rod if the piston is tilted).

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302

Last edited by moonrakercat; 04-25-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: skirt definition
moonrakercat is offline  
Banned
 
stevegt2012's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,226
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0312WhiteBlck View Post
Hmm.. so the piston skirts are what making it tick? Did they try to supplement that by having these oil squirters below the pistons and cool off the metal?
I don't think that is a good assumption. FWIW, here is a picture of the 2011 and 2013 pistons. Same skirt length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pistons.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	339417  
stevegt2012 is offline  
PONY Member
 
moonrakercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elora
Posts: 323
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
I don't think that is a good assumption. FWIW, here is a picture of the 2011 and 2013 pistons. Same skirt length.
thanks for the pics Steve - I think the piston on the right has a groove just under the first compression ring - whereas the piston on the left does not - any idea why ??

Also - I think the ticking is common across all the years from 2011 up to the 14's if I'm not mistaken ??

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
moonrakercat is offline  
Banned
 
stevegt2012's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,226
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
thanks for the pics Steve - I think the piston on the right has a groove just under the first compression ring - whereas the piston on the left does not - any idea why ??

Also - I think the ticking is common across all the years from 2011 up to the 14's if I'm not mistaken ??
That's an accumulator groove on the 2013 piston. It helps to reduce ring flutter and provide a better seal at the top compression ring by collecting and reducing gas pressure between the 1st and 2nd rings. Not sure how true it is, but ring flutter has been blamed as one of the culprits responsible for the 5.0's excessive oil consumption during the first 10K or so miles.

And yes, ticking is common across all years of the coyote. Even the boss roadrunner engine.

stevegt2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1