2012 Mustang GT Tick - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
JJH
Rookie

I had the ignitor tick on my 2012 GT too. Ended up trading mine because everytime I took it to ford, it was always no problem found! I even had a recording of the noise for them.

Black 2012 GT Premium Coupe
MT82 / 3.73 gears / Brembo Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Here are the images I took of the new short block, and then some of the old short block.

New short block number?

New shortblock :

Old short block:

Piston they were looking at:

old Piston's rings:

Different old piston:

I apologize if the pictures suck, they were kind of hovering over me and the space was cramped. I also have no idea where to find the block numbers so hopefully someone who knows these engines can see it in the pictures.

PONY Member
S197 Member

I'm very impressed your dealership has gone to these lengths. The two times I've had mine in for the same tick, the service advisor admitted he heard it plain as day, yet both techs reported back no problem found/no noise detected. I'm pretty stumped on where to go from here. Surely someone at fords engineering team can speak up and say what this actually is??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's

PONY Member

OMFG - will you look at those pistons (awesome pics Al !) there is almost no skirt on them !!! No f***** wonder ford is seeing slap in these engines - I'd put money on it Al that if you look at the new pistons in the new shortblock you would find they have longer skirts on them !!! This really looks like an engineering design flaw - I've always wondered how in H*ll my engine can rev up so fast to 7K - now I know - all the rotating mass has been minimized - and there is little weight to spin - but we end up with other problems.

You prob wont be able to see the new skirts on the new pistons if the shortblock has the oil pan on it (which it should).

Ok - now I'm a 10W30 man with Zinc additive for sure.

I wonder if the pistons have been changed for the 2014 model year ??

Awesome pics again Al - if you can find out anymore about things please let us know.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
PONY Member

Al you also have an amazing dealer - see if you can find out the part #'s for the pistons - the old ones and the new ones - this may very well be the key to the mystery.

post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
OMFG - will you look at those pistons (awesome pics Al !) there is almost no skirt on them !!! No f***** wonder ford is seeing slap in these engines - I'd put money on it Al that if you look at the new pistons in the new shortblock you would find they have longer skirts on them !!! This really looks like an engineering design flaw - I've always wondered how in H*ll my engine can rev up so fast to 7K - now I know - all the rotating mass has been minimized - and there is little weight to spin - but we end up with other problems.

You prob wont be able to see the new skirts on the new pistons if the shortblock has the oil pan on it (which it should).

Ok - now I'm a 10W30 man with Zinc additive for sure.

I wonder if the pistons have been changed for the 2014 model year ??

Awesome pics again Al - if you can find out anymore about things please let us know.

Hmm.. so the piston skirts are what making it tick? Did they try to supplement that by having these oil squirters below the pistons and cool off the metal?

Maybe if you check the first two pictures on the post, isn't there a number or some picture on the piston itself? Maybe I can e-mail you the full size picture and zoom into it so you can see it better.

If not on the picture, is there a place I can find them on the pistons?
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarius View Post
I'm very impressed your dealership has gone to these lengths. The two times I've had mine in for the same tick, the service advisor admitted he heard it plain as day, yet both techs reported back no problem found/no noise detected. I'm pretty stumped on where to go from here. Surely someone at fords engineering team can speak up and say what this actually is??

Yeah, I've been going to this dealership since I was 18. Before me my Grandpa used to go there. They are pretty awesome with their customer service.

They gave me a rental for the whole duration of the repair. It's a pretty cool little Fiesta.

If you live in California, its located in Placentia. Fairway Ford.
GT Member

Lol boys, stop scaring me. Seriously.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0312WhiteBlck View Post
Yeah, I switched to redline 5w20 and it started happening. I wanted to see if anyone had tried a heavier oil weight. I guess the 302 uses a 5w 50.

Yeah, I'm running 5w50 because of the noises my engine was making. Smoothed it out a lot but didn't completely fix the tick.

2013 5.0 - Deep Impact Blue
Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
TWS CCW: 2:03.02
PONY Member

Quote:
Hmm.. so the piston skirts are what making it tick? Did they try to supplement that by having these oil squirters below the pistons and cool off the metal?

Maybe if you check the first two pictures on the post, isn't there a number or some picture on the piston itself? Maybe I can e-mail you the full size picture and zoom into it so you can see it better.

The piston skirt is there to help keep the piston centered in the bore - the shorter the skirt the greater tendancy for the piston to "rock" at the top of the stroke. When it rocks the bottom of the skirt will hit the cylinder wall resulting in a loud tick or slapping sound - it does not happen all the time but sometimes more than normal depending on the engine temp, fuel, timing, bore clearance - piston ring spacing etc. To really eliminate the problem the best thing to do may be to lengthen the skirt - and that gives me the idea that the piston design has been changed. If you know the #'s we can see pics of the pistons on fords website.

I know my old pistons from my 69 chev 350 had a much longer skirt on them. But that engine did not rev up nearly as fast as our engines - they are really amazing compared to the older designs.

I think this is just a characteristic of these engines we have to accept.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabongrob View Post
Yeah, I'm running 5w50 because of the noises my engine was making. Smoothed it out a lot but didn't completely fix the tick.

Knowing that I would bet that factory engines have some serious moly anti-friction additive put in at the factory. Slick 50 or duralube might make a serious difference. Just my guess - but I have an uncanny way of being right sometimes. Not always though.

PONY Member

Quote:

The part # should be embossed on the bottom inside of the piston - if you get a chance please measure the length of the skirt on the old pistons - ie from the top of the carbon coated surface to the bottom of the "skirt" (bottom of skirt touches rod if the piston is tilted).

Last edited by moonrakercat; 04-25-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: skirt definition
Banned

Quote:
I don't think that is a good assumption. FWIW, here is a picture of the 2011 and 2013 pistons. Same skirt length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pistons.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	339417  
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
I don't think that is a good assumption. FWIW, here is a picture of the 2011 and 2013 pistons. Same skirt length.
thanks for the pics Steve - I think the piston on the right has a groove just under the first compression ring - whereas the piston on the left does not - any idea why ??

Also - I think the ticking is common across all the years from 2011 up to the 14's if I'm not mistaken ??

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
thanks for the pics Steve - I think the piston on the right has a groove just under the first compression ring - whereas the piston on the left does not - any idea why ??

Also - I think the ticking is common across all the years from 2011 up to the 14's if I'm not mistaken ??
That's an accumulator groove on the 2013 piston. It helps to reduce ring flutter and provide a better seal at the top compression ring by collecting and reducing gas pressure between the 1st and 2nd rings. Not sure how true it is, but ring flutter has been blamed as one of the culprits responsible for the 5.0's excessive oil consumption during the first 10K or so miles.

And yes, ticking is common across all years of the coyote. Even the boss roadrunner engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page