Recent got '11 GT, having MT82 whine problems - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
 
cudaman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
 
Sorry to hear this happen, here's a fairly comprehensive list of TSBs that might provide some aid, with built dates, symptoms, etc.

2012 Mustang TSB's and Recalls - LatemodelRestoration.com

Also found this on mustangrevolution forum: (regarding 2013 MT82 transmission changes) title: MT82 Tranny in 2013

They have made changes for the '13: Phosphate-coated gears ease break-in worries about gear facing wear noise. These go on top of the clutch and fluid spec changes incorporated in the 12s. One hopes they got a better handle on the QC of outsourced parts inside this thing as, imho, that's what's causing the early failures.

Just turned 3000 miles on my '13 and the MT82 is running fine. No car is going to be perfect--there are all kinds of compromises that must be made. The interwebz forums tend to amplify any issues. So far I have zero regrets buying my '13 GT (well, except, perhaps, that it took so long to get there).

I have an 11, and my buddy (who also had an 11) just got a 13 after being without a stang for about a year. We met up, did a short cruise, and then switched cars. Neither of us could believe that our two cars had the same transmission.

The 13 shifts so dramatically different that I thought I was going to stall it out since I couldn't feel the clutch engagement (not to mention it's a lot lighter).

cudaman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
Sorry to hear this happen, here's a fairly comprehensive list of TSBs that might provide some aid, with built dates, symptoms, etc.

2012 Mustang TSB's and Recalls - LatemodelRestoration.com

Also found this on mustangrevolution forum: (regarding 2013 MT82 transmission changes) title: MT82 Tranny in 2013

They have made changes for the '13: Phosphate-coated gears ease break-in worries about gear facing wear noise. These go on top of the clutch and fluid spec changes incorporated in the 12s. One hopes they got a better handle on the QC of outsourced parts inside this thing as, imho, that's what's causing the early failures.

Just turned 3000 miles on my '13 and the MT82 is running fine. No car is going to be perfect--there are all kinds of compromises that must be made. The interwebz forums tend to amplify any issues. So far I have zero regrets buying my '13 GT (well, except, perhaps, that it took so long to get there).

I have an 11, and my buddy (who also had an 11) just got a 13 after being without a stang for about a year. We met up, did a short cruise, and then switched cars. Neither of us could believe that our two cars had the same transmission.

The 13 shifts so dramatically different that I thought I was going to stall it out since I couldn't feel the clutch engagement (not to mention it's a lot lighter).
Good info. Weird how they never made a TSB for the whine, only the cold shifting problems. My car doesn't seem to have those thankfully.


2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
PONY Member
 
cudaman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyoobatz View Post
Good info. Weird how they never made a TSB for the whine, only the cold shifting problems. My car doesn't seem to have those thankfully.
Get your new tranny with the phosphate coated gears, per above. Although at 6K miles, I wouldn't think it was the lack of a coating that would cause the whine. Still, if you get a new MT82, make sure it's for a 2013 versus non-coated in others. Might be break-in period related per that reference.


They have made changes for the '13: Phosphate-coated gears ease break-in worries about gear facing wear noise. These go on top of the clutch and fluid spec changes incorporated in the 12s. One hopes they got a better handle on the QC of outsourced parts inside this thing as, imho, that's what's causing the early failures
cudaman is offline  
 
post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
Get your new tranny with the phosphate coated gears, per above. Although at 6K miles, I wouldn't think it was the lack of a coating that would cause the whine. Still, if you get a new MT82, make sure it's for a 2013 versus non-coated in others. Might be break-in period related per that reference.


They have made changes for the '13: Phosphate-coated gears ease break-in worries about gear facing wear noise. These go on top of the clutch and fluid spec changes incorporated in the 12s. One hopes they got a better handle on the QC of outsourced parts inside this thing as, imho, that's what's causing the early failures
That was ufstangs car that had 6K miles. Mine has 45k currently.

Is there a way to push the dealer into getting a 2013-type trans?

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
FordService
Guest
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyoobatz View Post
Deysha, should I have called Ford about my transmission issue first? Or should I deal with the dealer first before doing that.
Keep your appointment with your dealer, nickyoobatz. They can fully diagnose it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufstang50 View Post
Deysha, I have tried but she seems to be out of the office for a while. I am going to a different dealership tomorrow.
Be sure to leave the info in her voice mail, ufstang50.

Deysha
GT Member
 
5LHO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Point Roberts
Posts: 1,741
 
When I had my '12's MT rebuilt by Ford last year, one of the gear clusters was well, clustered, and it was replaced with the phosphate-coated 13+ set for that gear.

Phosphate coating isn't new to Ford. They did this for the 93 GT and Cobra T5s as well, similar concerns. It's a band-aid addressing an unlikely cause (gear facing wear) and it won't get at the root of the problems with some of these cars.

My opinion, borne out only by what lit up on my car, is that the bearings used in the trans were of suspect quality or had poor quality control. I told Ford dealer that I suspected an input shaft bearing was hurting and that was causing the whines. They confirmed my diagnosis on disassembly.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline  
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
When I had my '12's MT rebuilt by Ford last year, one of the gear clusters was well, clustered, and it was replaced with the phosphate-coated 13+ set for that gear.

Phosphate coating isn't new to Ford. They did this for the 93 GT and Cobra T5s as well, similar concerns. It's a band-aid addressing an unlikely cause (gear facing wear) and it won't get at the root of the problems with some of these cars.

My opinion, borne out only by what lit up on my car, is that the bearings used in the trans were of suspect quality or had poor quality control. I told Ford dealer that I suspected an input shaft bearing was hurting and that was causing the whines. They confirmed my diagnosis on disassembly.
How long was your car at the dealer for? And has it been fine since the rebuild?

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
PONY Member
 
cudaman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
 
Might want to read this post, as well. Not directly related to whine, but shows pics of teardown on a MT82 after a failure in 3rd gear (obvious from pictures). Not sure if it was whining before it finally went out, or how hard he drove it. ONe machinist guy posted that the manufacturing and metallurgy leaves something to be desired. Obviously doesn't happen on all of them, otherwise would be a big recall.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...2-weekend.html
cudaman is offline  
GT Member
 
5LHO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Point Roberts
Posts: 1,741
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyoobatz View Post
How long was your car at the dealer for? And has it been fine since the rebuild?
a month...negotiating with the dealer and waiting on parts. I didn't care, it was pissing rain and I had their service loaner Escape all that time.

It's been fine since, a little minor gear rattle in one and two if I lug the engine too much but, nothing seriously problematic. Gone down track about 100 times since, on slicks.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline  
post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
a month...negotiating with the dealer and waiting on parts. I didn't care, it was pissing rain and I had their service loaner Escape all that time.

It's been fine since, a little minor gear rattle in one and two if I lug the engine too much but, nothing seriously problematic. Gone down track about 100 times since, on slicks.
Hoping I have the same luck as you.

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
PONY Member
 
tjin'stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 641
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Gone down track about 100 times since, on slicks.
Thats, impressive to me actually, lots of stress on the slicks, good its held up.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 TJIN EDITION
Vortech, M6 & MGW, ALUMINATOR 598/495 on 7psi 91 pump. too much to list...

2012 Chevy Cruze TJIN EDITION
Custom intercooler,magnaflow exhaust, too much to list too!
tjin'stang is offline  
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Alright so I was just at the dealer. I actually worked there about 5-6 years ago and some of the guys remembered me. The service manager sent a mechanic with me for a test drive and he definitely heard the whining and wasn't completely sure what it might be. He said hes probably gonna have to take it apart and see whats wrong with it, and see if its worth rebuilding or just replacing it altogether. I gotta bring it in on Tuesday or Wednesday.

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
PONY Member
 
tjin'stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 641
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyoobatz View Post
Alright so I was just at the dealer. I actually worked there about 5-6 years ago and some of the guys remembered me. The service manager sent a mechanic with me for a test drive and he definitely heard the whining and wasn't completely sure what it might be. He said hes probably gonna have to take it apart and see whats wrong with it, and see if its worth rebuilding or just replacing it altogether. I gotta bring it in on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Good luck! Hope it works out and you get new parts that function properly.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 TJIN EDITION
Vortech, M6 & MGW, ALUMINATOR 598/495 on 7psi 91 pump. too much to list...

2012 Chevy Cruze TJIN EDITION
Custom intercooler,magnaflow exhaust, too much to list too!
tjin'stang is offline  
FordService
Guest
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyoobatz View Post
Alright so I was just at the dealer. I actually worked there about 5-6 years ago and some of the guys remembered me. The service manager sent a mechanic with me for a test drive and he definitely heard the whining and wasn't completely sure what it might be. He said hes probably gonna have to take it apart and see whats wrong with it, and see if its worth rebuilding or just replacing it altogether. I gotta bring it in on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Thank you for the update, nickyoobatz!

Deysha
Apprentice
 
ekopel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 56
 
Didnt see this coming - new seals and bearings in the whole rear end to start - part is on national backorder and it will be 2.5 weeks yay! luckily, I dont mind rolling around in the loaner they gave me (hyundai accent ) - good gas mileage. This dealership has been great to me for three years. The problem is that with the rear end being so loud now, they cant diagnose the tranny yet, hopefully, the tranny is good - and its just the rear end. will keep you guys posted.


EKOPEL
2011 GT 5.0 PREMIUM
3.73, MT82, Short Shifter, Dropped, Steeda Adj. UCA, UPR Catch Can, 20x11's and 275s, Roush Exhaust, Steeda CAI, 91S and 91R tunes, Hawk/Brembos 4 corners, Black tails, heads, markers, emblems, etc, 2k watts audio, nav, roush front end w/fogs, roush rear and side lowers, roush 6 line grill, 43k on odo, getting ready for FI in a few months...
ekopel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1