Recent got '11 GT, having MT82 whine problems - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster_5_0 View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned but what short shifter do you have? It could be NVH
Hurst. The noise was present before the shifter but I didn't think anything of it. I put the stock shifter back and its still there.


2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Apprentice
 
knight5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Childersburg
Posts: 57
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufstang50 View Post
I drove a gt with 5 miles on it while i was there and it had no whine. They told me i didn't drive it properly. Whatever that means. I took it to a different dealership and they said same thing normal gear whine from the mesh in the gears. Funny how gears 1 thru 4 do it but not 5 and 6. I am scared to do intake exhaust now but can't get anything out of Ford.

Im going throught the same thing. They say it seems normal to them, but the notchyness i feel cant be normal. I even had a rattle sound that happend around 3k rpm and was consistant and was in the car with the service manager when we both heard it several times until the car warmed up and he said they never could get it to do it again. But when im in it, it always does it. Doesnt make sense to me. Shifts from 1st to 3rd ar notchy and to 4th thru 6th are smooth as butter.. If its just "hoe the transmission shifts" then i would think it would be notchy in every gear.


2011 GT Premium, Barton shifter bracket, SS Clutch line, Steeda CAI, Borla axle backs, and POS MT-82
knight5.0 is offline  
Apprentice
 
knight5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Childersburg
Posts: 57
 
This whole situation is really pissing me off, makes me feel like Ford knows there is a problem but no one wants to work on the cars and replace the transmission until they go all the way out or they grinding in a gear or two. Fell like they say the notchyness will last until the warranty is gone and then F me i can buy another Trans when it goes out. These cars aren’t cheap and i expect more from ford for my money. Seems like every dealership i call about looking at the car is months behind on all the transmission work they have. Come on Ford! The my CSM offers me a complementary Ford extra care plan for an extended warranty last week. But when i spoke with her today and said i was afraid my warranty would run out before the car was fixed or the problem could even be diagnosed and i would like to accept the extra care plan, she says they have to diagnose the car with a problem first. What the hell good is the service plan if they have to diagnose the problem first? If they diagnose it first then it will be fixed thus limiting my need for the service plan. I’ve had no other issues besides the POS trans and the rattle. I’m just really disappointed with Ford! And I’m beyond pissed about it.

2011 GT Premium, Barton shifter bracket, SS Clutch line, Steeda CAI, Borla axle backs, and POS MT-82
knight5.0 is offline  
 
PONY Member
 
cudaman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
 
I always thought a good troubleshooting technique that good technicians use for finding noise and whine (especially internal noise) was to use a probe that looks like a stethoscope. A trained ear can hear the subtle differences when listening while up on a rack... Of course, if the engine/tranny/driveline needs to be loaded heavily to make the whine/noise, it's another story.

This is EXACTLY the same story as this one: Why does my mt-82 whine? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

(Same thread, different forum, same results.... same complaining users). One post referenced a couple of good articles:

http://www.gearsolutions.com/article...ing-gear-noise

http://www.gearsolutions.com/article...ar-whine-noise


Another on this forum with similar results/problems:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...has-begun.html

More of the same:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-gears-494715/

GOOD VIDEO here... sounds like a supercharger, you are right:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-whine.856411/

Affects 3% of the transmissions built:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/

The basics of Ford’s response to NHTSA investigation of the Mustang’s MT82 transmission:
  • Ford was aware of the problems via direct communication from customers and monitoring of online forums
  • Approximately three percent of transmissions were affected
  • Ford investigated a variety of issues and found issues with cold shifting, the clutch plate bolt, clutch stayout, and 5th gear synchronization (detailed below)
  • Each of the problems was addressed (detailed below)
  • Many other factors resulted in the reporting of problems, including driver effect, the skip-shift feature, the influence of online forums, vehicle modifications and abuse.
  • None of the issues caused a safety risk
  • Ford has no plans for modifications related to the Mustang or the MT-82 6-speed manual transmission in the next 120 days
cudaman is offline  
Apprentice
 
knight5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Childersburg
Posts: 57
 
Those may be good trouble shooting techniques, but they have to use them. I believe they are being told that ****** shifting is normal for the transmission and that's a load of crap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 GT Premium, Barton shifter bracket, SS Clutch line, Steeda CAI, Borla axle backs, and POS MT-82
knight5.0 is offline  
PONY Member
 
tjin'stang's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 641
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
Those may be good trouble shooting techniques, but they have to use them. I believe they are being told that ****** shifting is normal for the transmission and that's a load of crap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Always thought this personally, even if its "normal" for a trans to act like this doesnt mean its acceptable!!


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 TJIN EDITION
Vortech, M6 & MGW, ALUMINATOR 598/495 on 7psi 91 pump. too much to list...

2012 Chevy Cruze TJIN EDITION
Custom intercooler,magnaflow exhaust, too much to list too!
tjin'stang is offline  
Apprentice
 
ekopel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 56
 
UPDATE:
Dealer is putting Redline Fluid in it. The XL-18 fluid isnt available. This guy I work with i trust a lot to do the right thing. I am picking up the car today with the new fluid and will let you guys know if it takes care of the whine. I know it is not right, my rep thinks it isnt right, and the tranny guy thinks it is fine because of the gears, but i have 20k on factory warranty left, and its now documented i was there. if it grenades, it grenades, i know it wasnt my fault... will let you know how it sounds in a few hrs

EKOPEL
2011 GT 5.0 PREMIUM
3.73, MT82, Short Shifter, Dropped, Steeda Adj. UCA, UPR Catch Can, 20x11's and 275s, Roush Exhaust, Steeda CAI, 91S and 91R tunes, Hawk/Brembos 4 corners, Black tails, heads, markers, emblems, etc, 2k watts audio, nav, roush front end w/fogs, roush rear and side lowers, roush 6 line grill, 43k on odo, getting ready for FI in a few months...
ekopel is offline  
PONY Member
 
cudaman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekopel View Post
UPDATE:
Dealer is putting Redline Fluid in it. The XL-18 fluid isnt available. This guy I work with i trust a lot to do the right thing. I am picking up the car today with the new fluid and will let you guys know if it takes care of the whine. I know it is not right, my rep thinks it isnt right, and the tranny guy thinks it is fine because of the gears, but i have 20k on factory warranty left, and its now documented i was there. if it grenades, it grenades, i know it wasnt my fault... will let you know how it sounds in a few hrs
Redline Shock-Proof heavy? That is good stuff. I use it in my 92' Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. It's not really to quiet it down, but it does have good characteristics

Red Line Synthetic Oil - ShockProof® Gear Oils - Heavy ShockProof®

  • Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90
  • For heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, problem gearboxes
  • Many performance racing applications like Sprint/Midget/Dirt Late Model Differentials, Detroit Lockers and spools, NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car rear ends
  • Not recommended for most synchro applications due to the product's extreme slipperiness

  • Unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offers low drag/high protection
  • Relatively low viscosity, yet cushions gear teeth under extreme pressure
  • Helps to prevent tooth breakage, resists throw-off
  • Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging
  • Designed for wet sump transmissions and differentials with splash lubrication
cudaman is offline  
Apprentice
 
knight5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Childersburg
Posts: 57
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekopel View Post
UPDATE:
Dealer is putting Redline Fluid in it. The XL-18 fluid isnt available. This guy I work with i trust a lot to do the right thing. I am picking up the car today with the new fluid and will let you guys know if it takes care of the whine. I know it is not right, my rep thinks it isnt right, and the tranny guy thinks it is fine because of the gears, but i have 20k on factory warranty left, and its now documented i was there. if it grenades, it grenades, i know it wasnt my fault... will let you know how it sounds in a few hrs
which redline gear oil are they putting in.

2011 GT Premium, Barton shifter bracket, SS Clutch line, Steeda CAI, Borla axle backs, and POS MT-82
knight5.0 is offline  
Apprentice
 
ekopel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 56
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
This whole situation is really pissing me off, makes me feel like Ford knows there is a problem but no one wants to work on the cars and replace the transmission until they go all the way out or they grinding in a gear or two. Fell like they say the notchyness will last until the warranty is gone and then F me i can buy another Trans when it goes out. These cars aren’t cheap and i expect more from ford for my money. Seems like every dealership i call about looking at the car is months behind on all the transmission work they have. Come on Ford! The my CSM offers me a complementary Ford extra care plan for an extended warranty last week. But when i spoke with her today and said i was afraid my warranty would run out before the car was fixed or the problem could even be diagnosed and i would like to accept the extra care plan, she says they have to diagnose the car with a problem first. What the hell good is the service plan if they have to diagnose the problem first? If they diagnose it first then it will be fixed thus limiting my need for the service plan. I’ve had no other issues besides the POS trans and the rattle. I’m just really disappointed with Ford! And I’m beyond pissed about it.
I am in agreeance with you. I used to work for ford last year and am very dissapointed with this. I want to keep the car long enough to get in to a 2015 or 2016, and the car should last 5 F****** years. I have been building mustangs since 2004. The dealer put almost 400 miles on my car in ten days - so much for trusting this dealer. my brand new rotors and hawk pads are notched to **** as well.

Deysha, the tranny now shifts hard into 2nd and 3rd after they flushed and put redline in it. I would like to escalate this if possible. I left the car at the dealer because i do not feel comfortable driving around in a car that feels worse now than it did when i first dropped it off...

I gave you a pm with my phone number. Please let me know how to proceed.

EKOPEL
2011 GT 5.0 PREMIUM
3.73, MT82, Short Shifter, Dropped, Steeda Adj. UCA, UPR Catch Can, 20x11's and 275s, Roush Exhaust, Steeda CAI, 91S and 91R tunes, Hawk/Brembos 4 corners, Black tails, heads, markers, emblems, etc, 2k watts audio, nav, roush front end w/fogs, roush rear and side lowers, roush 6 line grill, 43k on odo, getting ready for FI in a few months...
ekopel is offline  
Apprentice
 
ekopel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 56
 
redline mtr full synthetic in the tranny now. made it worse

EKOPEL
2011 GT 5.0 PREMIUM
3.73, MT82, Short Shifter, Dropped, Steeda Adj. UCA, UPR Catch Can, 20x11's and 275s, Roush Exhaust, Steeda CAI, 91S and 91R tunes, Hawk/Brembos 4 corners, Black tails, heads, markers, emblems, etc, 2k watts audio, nav, roush front end w/fogs, roush rear and side lowers, roush 6 line grill, 43k on odo, getting ready for FI in a few months...
ekopel is offline  
Apprentice
 
knight5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Childersburg
Posts: 57
 
im with you and all i keep getting is "hey man, we cant get it to act up". Such bull.. I feel like im getting swindled. And my CSM offered me an extended warranty and i tried to be nice and say i just want the car fixed, ford doesnt have to give me free stuff. Just fix the car, replace the damn transmission. Then after being basically blown off by the dealer i was at, i said i wanted the extended warranty and she said they had to diagnose a problem first.. What!!??? If they diagnose the damn thing and fix it under current warranty then why would i still need the extended warranty? And if they keep saying hey bud, can not duplicate. I cant have the warranty you offered?? Hell thats when i need it, for when this thing finally bites the dust i will still have warranty to have it fixed. Ford knows there is a problem with these transmissions, they should fix them when there is a complaint.

2011 GT Premium, Barton shifter bracket, SS Clutch line, Steeda CAI, Borla axle backs, and POS MT-82
knight5.0 is offline  
FordService
Guest
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekopel View Post
deysha - thank you for the expedited part - the dealer says thank you as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekopel View Post
I am in agreeance with you. I used to work for ford last year and am very dissapointed with this. I want to keep the car long enough to get in to a 2015 or 2016, and the car should last 5 F****** years. I have been building mustangs since 2004. The dealer put almost 400 miles on my car in ten days - so much for trusting this dealer. my brand new rotors and hawk pads are notched to **** as well.

Deysha, the tranny now shifts hard into 2nd and 3rd after they flushed and put redline in it. I would like to escalate this if possible. I left the car at the dealer because i do not feel comfortable driving around in a car that feels worse now than it did when i first dropped it off...

I gave you a pm with my phone number. Please let me know how to proceed.
You’re welcome, ekopel! PM me with your dealer and mileage as well.

Deysha
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
You’re welcome, ekopel! PM me with your dealer and mileage as well.

Deysha
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I was FINALLY able to drop my car off at the dealer this morning to get my trans issues sorted after about of month of bad timing/delays.

Deysha, is it ok if I keep you updated? They're pulling the trans out today and said they would call to give me an update later.

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
Apprentice
 
Herb07GT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 242
 
Very loud trans whine 1-4 gear. - work done under 60m warranty
My 2013 went in Monday, found cracked gears
Also checking a Ford TSB about a pump replacement.

Known problem on 2011-13 mustang & F150


1965 Mustang 289 Auto
1967 Mustang Fastback 289 4-Speed
1991 Toyota MR2 2.4 turbo 5-Speed
2005 Mustang Conv. Premium Auto
2007 Mustang GT Premium Auto
2013 Mustang V6 Premium Auto Convt. GHIG
2019 Mustang GT Premium Auto Convt. Need for Green
Herb07GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1