Recent got '11 GT, having MT82 whine problems - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Question Recent got '11 GT, having MT82 whine problems

I just picked up my used 2011 GT in December, and always noticed it had a slight whining noise coming from the transmission when in 1st - 4th gear and 6th. 5th gear is fine. Car has 45k miles on it and is stock besides exhaust and the Hurst shifter/Barton 2 post bracket that I just put in not even 2 weeks ago. Everything shifts perfectly fine, with the occasional grind when its cold. The sound did get a bit amplified since I put the shifter in.

I did some reading on the MT82 thread and might try changing the transmission fluid to see if theres any difference, but even so that still seems like a bandaid to me.

I still have the factory drivetrain warranty so I'm considering putting the shifter back to stock and going to the dealer soon.

All help is much appreciated.


2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph

Last edited by nickyoobatz; 03-03-2014 at 03:58 PM.
nickyoobatz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Anyone?


2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014
GT Member
S197 Member
 
Nibis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Troy
Posts: 1,076
 
Take it in, fluid won't change that. They will probably tell you it's normal.

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
Nibis is offline  
 
post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Take it in, fluid won't change that. They will probably tell you it's normal.
If they tell me its normal straight up, do I just tell them I want a new trans straight up?

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member
 
Mustangfreak196's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Eau Claire
Posts: 2,307
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyoobatz View Post
If they tell me its normal straight up, do I just tell them I want a new trans straight up?
You could. Then they will say no. Its worth a shot though.


2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
Mustangfreak196 is offline  
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak196 View Post
You could. Then they will say no. Its worth a shot though.
So whats the plan of action if I bring it and they just say its normal?

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member
 
Mustangfreak196's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Eau Claire
Posts: 2,307
 
There is a ford rep here (Deysha) that might be able to escalate things a bit but idk how much she could do. I'm sure she will arrive eventually.

The best thing you can do it just take it in and see what they will say.


2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
Mustangfreak196 is offline  
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014
PONY Member
 
cudaman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 593
 
If the whine gets progressively worse with speed, under load only (foot on-the-accelerator) and goes away when you are off-the-accelerator, it's more than likely the pinion bearing and maybe axle bearings. I had 8K miles on my 2012 GT and had warranty repair for my rear end where they replaced the pinion and axle bearings due to loud whine. At 65+ mph the noise was to the point where a normal conversation could not take place in the front seat. See what conditions exist when noise is "on" versus "off". Report back. Make sure to test it under load, cornering, highway speeds, when it starts, how loud it gets over time, etc. Check TrueDelta.com for instances of that. I found some instances of pinion bearing issues there when I posted my update on TrueDelta.
cudaman is offline  
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014
Rookie
 
ufstang50's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Perry
Posts: 25
 
Just had the same issues as you with my 2011 gt with only 6k miles. Take it in to Ford and PS Deysha. The whine goes away in neutral? Almost positive it is tail shaft bearing whine. Many documented problems.
ufstang50 is offline  
FordService
Guest
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyoobatz View Post
I just picked up my used 2011 GT in December, and always noticed it had a slight whining noise coming from the transmission when in 1st - 4th gear and 6th. 5th gear is fine. Car has 45k miles on it and is stock besides exhaust and the Hurst shifter/Barton 2 post bracket that I just put in not even 2 weeks ago. Everything shifts perfectly fine, with the occasional grind when its cold. The sound did get a bit amplified since I put the shifter in. ...
Hello nickyoobatz,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I also recommend bringing it in to your dealer and speaking to your service manager about this noise. He is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here. Keep me posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak196 View Post
There is a ford rep here (Deysha) that might be able to escalate things a bit but idk how much she could do. I'm sure she will arrive eventually.

The best thing you can do it just take it in and see what they will say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufstang50 View Post
Just had the same issues as you with my 2011 gt with only 6k miles. Take it in to Ford and PM Deysha. The whine goes away in neutral? Almost positive it is tail shaft bearing whine. Many documented problems.
Thanks for the mention, guys!

Deysha
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
If the whine gets progressively worse with speed, under load only (foot on-the-accelerator) and goes away when you are off-the-accelerator, it's more than likely the pinion bearing and maybe axle bearings. I had 8K miles on my 2012 GT and had warranty repair for my rear end where they replaced the pinion and axle bearings due to loud whine. At 65+ mph the noise was to the point where a normal conversation could not take place in the front seat. See what conditions exist when noise is "on" versus "off". Report back. Make sure to test it under load, cornering, highway speeds, when it starts, how loud it gets over time, etc. Check TrueDelta.com for instances of that. I found some instances of pinion bearing issues there when I posted my update on TrueDelta.
All the noise has been under acceleration, no matter how much throttle you're giving it. No sound when letting off the gas. Exists through entire rpm range.

And as I said, I just find it weird that its making the noise in every gear except 5th.

This isn't my video but the wine sounds EXACTLY as it does in the video

2011 Mustang GT MT-82 transmission whine - YouTube

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
Apprentice
 
ekopel's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 56
 
interesting, how loud is the whine? I seem to have developed a "Whine" of sorts over the weekend, but its really faint, between 3 and 4k rpms noticably, and 3rd gear is the worst. it almost sounds as if its from the engine. here is a youtube video that was pretty crappy, maybe ill try to upload a different video. 41k on her. cant hear the whine with the windows open, so not sure exactly where its come from. in gear only...

Mustang whining ekopel - YouTube

the funny part is that I just took it in to the dealer 1k ago to ask about xl-18. ive had ford dealers mess with the car to try to get me to do repairs. could that be the case? lol

EKOPEL
2011 GT 5.0 PREMIUM
3.73, MT82, Short Shifter, Dropped, Steeda Adj. UCA, UPR Catch Can, 20x11's and 275s, Roush Exhaust, Steeda CAI, 91S and 91R tunes, Hawk/Brembos 4 corners, Black tails, heads, markers, emblems, etc, 2k watts audio, nav, roush front end w/fogs, roush rear and side lowers, roush 6 line grill, 43k on odo, getting ready for FI in a few months...
ekopel is offline  
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekopel View Post
interesting, how loud is the whine? I seem to have developed a "Whine" of sorts over the weekend, but its really faint, between 3 and 4k rpms noticably, and 3rd gear is the worst. it almost sounds as if its from the engine. here is a youtube video that was pretty crappy, maybe ill try to upload a different video. 41k on her. cant hear the whine with the windows open, so not sure exactly where its come from. in gear only...

Mustang whining ekopel - YouTube

the funny part is that I just took it in to the dealer 1k ago to ask about xl-18. ive had ford dealers mess with the car to try to get me to do repairs. could that be the case? lol
Since I got the car I paid no mind to it, playing music or driving with the windows open. But since I started noticing it, its very noticeable with the windows up even with the exhaust I have. And now that I'm noticing it, its on my mind everytime I get in the car. Worst feeling lol

I wouldn't care if it was normal, but the fact that it could be signs of a bad bearing and the trans might die on me at some point, I have growing concerns.

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
Rookie
 
ufstang50's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Perry
Posts: 25
 
So it whines in every gear except 5th or except 5th and 6th? From my little bit of reading it has something to do with the tail shaft output bearing. 5th gear is 1 to 1 and 6th is on the other side of 1 to 1. That's why 1 - 4 makes noise and 5 and 6 doesn't.
ufstang50 is offline  
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
nickyoobatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Freehold
Posts: 54
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufstang50 View Post
So it whines in every gear except 5th or except 5th and 6th? From my little bit of reading it has something to do with the tail shaft output bearing. 5th gear is 1 to 1 and 6th is on the other side of 1 to 1. That's why 1 - 4 makes noise and 5 and 6 doesn't.
Every gear except 5th. 5th is quiet. 6th is very faint but you can still hear it. I will try to get a video this weekend to show it.


2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
nickyoobatz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1