10% Ethanol - Good or Bad - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

10% Ethanol - Good or Bad

A station in my town has non-ethanol fuel.
Q. Is non-ethanol fuel better?
Q. Is it worth paying $0.22 more per gallon?

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014
Apprentice

I didn't think that you could still buy non-ethanol fuel. Good question. Found this reply on another forum:

"I work for a major oil co. and this is how this works: the base gasoline (blendstock) for 93 octane premium is only rated at 91 octane before being blended with the 10% ethanol, it is than 93 octane that you get at the pump. so the 10% only raises the octane 2 points. same for the regular it is only rated at 85 until the ethanol is added to make it 87."

I do know that ethanol does not last very long and people have a heck of a problem with it if they don't use a gas stabilizer before storage. I know that ethanol in pure for is something like 105 octane. Seems to me like gas companies are cheating by cutting regular gasoline with ethanol to boost the octane rating.

We did by Mustangs after all so is gas mileage a real concern. I currently get 14.7mph on 93 and worth every penny.

2014 GT: Race Red. Stuff added...
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I live on the coast and the station is on the main road leading to the marina/boat ramp. A little out of the way but only a couple miles or so.
Just wondered if it would be a smart move or not.

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
You might see a slight bump in fuel mileage using non-ethanol fuel but it's probably not going to be enough to offset the added price. Run a couple tanks then calculate the cost/savings.

I don't know about adding ethanol to gas specifically to raise the octane rating some fuels. A few years back ethanol replaced MTBE in gas as an oxidizer in the fuel. You've probably heard of oxygenated fuel? That's what it's there for.

At least in Washington, E10 is pretty much the standard fuel now. Although there are a few places that carry non-ethanol gasoline I never bother to go out of my way for them.

Last edited by Blazin72; 04-02-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
You might see a slight bump in fuel mileage using non-ethanol fuel but it's probably not going to be enough to offset the added price. Run a couple tanks then calculate the cost/savings.

I don't know about adding ethanol to gas specifically to raise the octane rating some fuels. A few years back ethanol replaced MTBE in gas as an oxidizer in the fuel. You've probably heard of oxygenated fuel? That's what it's there for.

At least in Washington, E10 is pretty much the standard fuel now. Although there are a few places that carry non-ethanol gasoline I never bother to go out of my way for them.
Yes...MTBE was added to oxygenate the fuel. Now we use ethanol because it's cheaper (with current subsidies) and cleaner than MTBE (not sure if thats true but that's what we're told). MTBE has a better heating value than ethanol which is probably why you get better performance out of it compared to ethanol. I think MTBE has a HHV of around 16,000BTU/lb vs ethanol's 13,000BTU/lb.

Ethanol has a higher octane rating...i think it's 115 vs MTBE which is around 110. So there may be some cost savings on the refining side when considering final product octane rating.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue W/ 401A Trim
Electronics PKG, RR Sensing/Security PKG, HIDs PKG, Comfort PKG, Brembo Brake PKG, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
GT Member
Classic Member

I believe Blazin is spot on with his reply. Pure gas is always the best option, as ethanol for the most part only dilutes the gas. Pure gas is getting harder to find. It can still be found in many farming regions for equipment that does not run well with watered down fuel. The better gas mileage, as was mentioned earlier, may not offset the added cost of the pure gas. Good luck!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryonl View Post
I believe Blazin is spot on with his reply. Pure gas is always the best option, as ethanol for the most part only dilutes the gas. Pure gas is getting harder to find. It can still be found in many farming regions for equipment that does not run well with watered down fuel. The better gas mileage, as was mentioned earlier, may not offset the added cost of the pure gas. Good luck!
There is no pure gas at any pump i've ever seen in the USA...to expensive to make.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue W/ 401A Trim
Electronics PKG, RR Sensing/Security PKG, HIDs PKG, Comfort PKG, Brembo Brake PKG, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014
PONY Member

ethanol

We have a shell that sells a 91 with no ethanol - it is the only fuel I run in either of my mustangs - once you see how ethanol gums up a fuel system after it starts to degrade you would understand - and you would switch immediately. I run non-ethanol in all of my mowers/chainsaws etc - they start right up after even long term storage no problem - again with ethanol you will have major problems even with 6 months of storage.

I want my stang to last for decades - for my kids - using ethanol this won't happen - go ahead & check out a fuel system that has used ethanol for 5 years - it will have alot of varnish - nice black & sticky, non-ethanol - nearly like new. I couldn't care about fuel mileage - it is the maintenance costs that are the killer.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

As far as performance goes the 10% ethanol fuels are better.

Ever wonder why people convert to e85 (85% ethanol). It's the performance.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
PONY Member

Ethanol is a filler, much like corn is often added to food because it's cheaper. Guess what? Ethanol is also made from corn. It's bad stuff. Try to get the purest gasoline you can find, which is often very difficult nowadays. Oil companies are saving billions of dollars by adding ethanol to stretch the gasoline. Just like food companies are adding chemicals and corn byproducts to EVERYTHING. It's why Americans are becoming unhealthier and corporations are increasing profits hand over fist. But don't be me started on all that.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT MT82 - 401A, Brembos, 3.73s, Reverse Sensors/Security System, GT500 Axle Backs, Raxiom Projectors with 5k HIDs, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni STR.Ts, Ford Racing Strut Mounts, Eibach Camber Bolts, BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s 275/35/19

Awaiting Install: JHR Shifter Bracket
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
As far as performance goes the 10% ethanol fuels are better.

Ever wonder why people convert to e85 (85% ethanol). It's the performance.
LOL, this is so misleading. Gasoline engines are not designed to burn ethanol. That's why when people switch to E85, they have to completely retrofit their fuel systems and other things, along with re-tune the car. You can't just stick ethanol in your tank and be like "more performance".

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT MT82 - 401A, Brembos, 3.73s, Reverse Sensors/Security System, GT500 Axle Backs, Raxiom Projectors with 5k HIDs, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni STR.Ts, Ford Racing Strut Mounts, Eibach Camber Bolts, BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2s 275/35/19

Awaiting Install: JHR Shifter Bracket
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekStangGT View Post
LOL, this is so misleading. Gasoline engines are not designed to burn ethanol. That's why when people switch to E85, they have to completely retrofit their fuel systems and other things, along with re-tune the car. You can't just stick ethanol in your tank and be like "more performance".
Gasoline FUEL SYSTEMS are generally not designed for ethanol. But that's changing. Ethanol is corrosive and fuel system components must be able to withstand its effects. The re-tune is required because of the different stoich ratio required for ethanol. Flex-fuel vehicles are becoming more common and have more flexibility to burn E85 or gasoline. Some people are even taking advantage of tuning FFVs for both E85 and "regular" gasoline. I believe some F-150s have this ability but the Mustang currently does not.

The reason for increased ethanol in gas (E10) was explained earlier this thread, it is not there "as a filler". Say what you want about corn, but MTBE is nasty stuff and carcinogen.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
We have a shell that sells a 91 with no ethanol - it is the only fuel I run in either of my mustangs - once you see how ethanol gums up a fuel system after it starts to degrade you would understand - and you would switch immediately. I run non-ethanol in all of my mowers/chainsaws etc - they start right up after even long term storage no problem - again with ethanol you will have major problems even with 6 months of storage.

I want my stang to last for decades - for my kids - using ethanol this won't happen - go ahead & check out a fuel system that has used ethanol for 5 years - it will have alot of varnish - nice black & sticky, non-ethanol - nearly like new. I couldn't care about fuel mileage - it is the maintenance costs that are the killer.
Agreed! Shell 91 here as well, since day 1... and mower, chainsaw, and god know what else runs the same product, Shell 91!!!!!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
GT Member

I do believe all stations across U.S have 10% ethanol thanks to Gov/EPA. Cars that do run on E85 use more to get same or more power when it was on gas. It's been complaint from people I know. Only reason why people use E85 because it's cheaper
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
I do believe all stations across U.S have 10% ethanol thanks to Gov/EPA. Cars that do run on E85 use more to get same or more power when it was on gas. It's been complaint from people I know. Only reason why people use E85 because it's cheaper
You can still get non-ethanol gas. It seems to be more common near where boaters are (I see it much more down here on the redneck riviera than I did in California).

The below link will tell you if you've got ethanol free gas near you.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

2013 GT Premium. Deep Impact Blue / Charcoal 400A Recaro / Track Pack / Nav / Glass Roof / Reverse sensing / Backup Camera
VIN: 10 March 2012 / Window Sticker: 28 March 2012 / Build Date: 2 April 2012 / Picked Up: 19 April 2012
Mods: MSVTLA SVT Sport Axlebacks / MGW Shifter / JHR Clutch Line / Boss Shift Knob / GT500 Shift Boot / Better Speakers / Lots of Dynamat and Dynaliner / Rear: Koni Yellows, 55D Springs, BMR Panhard Bar / Front: Awaiting Spousal Approval
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page