Daily Driver Brake Pad Upgrade? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Daily Driver Brake Pad Upgrade?

I want to know what works on a daily driver. Looking for quiet (ceramic), little dust, but better performance than stock.

'12 Black GT Premium, 6 Speed, Hurst Shifter, GT500 Spoiler, Staggered Shelby Razors, Michelin PSS, BMR SFCs, Borla S, Cortex Suspension with Coil Overs and Watts Link, Whiteline Front Sway bar and LCAs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014
BOSS Member

With regards to brake linings in general,
Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than good quality OEM linings...just because they are of "ceramic type construction" does not mean they will be quiet or low dust either

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM.

Wagner & Raybestos: a line of products that is 100% marketing and mfg from very low quality/inexpensive and/or imported products with the mfg's not providing any back-up or support on product failures (and I mean real ugly spontaneous, catestropihic failures)

VelveTouch lining- Used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986), then switched to Carbo. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years and VT is now available again....in limited applications

Bendix- TitaniuMetallic™ II, a newer lining (semi-metallic) and although I have not personally used this, I have always been impressed with Bendix brake linings and this particular lining IIMHO would be a low dust, excellent oem upgrade/mild performance type brake lining.

CarboTech Engineering lining (Bobcat Specific) , which I have used for about 20+ years and been very happy on multiple full size (V8) cars and trucks. This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wears (typically 50,000 to 75,000 miles before replacement is required) and produces less dust than OEM linings.

I highly recommend speaking to them by phone for linings that would be best for your application. Fyi- braking co-efficient is what identifies the bite rating of the linings- you want the CE to be no less than that of the OEM.....this will drive most e-base distributors & big box store "experts" right out of their mind because they either cannot verify this info or you will find the spec is less than oem. IMHO, i would look for a CE that is .49 or greater.

Hope this helps.............

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
CarboTech Engineering lining (Bobcat Specific) , which I have used for about 20+ years and been very happy on multiple full size (V8) cars and trucks. This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wears (typically 50,000 to 75,000 miles bef
FYI- Carbotech's street compound is the 1521 now. This was going to be my recommendation. Carbotechs are generally pretty rotor friendly. I use them for track, autox, and street and they do well.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
GT Member
Classic Member

I have upgraded each of my vehicles to ceramic pads and am very happy with them. They have better braking with less dust. Good luck!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
Apprentice

Garage
I went to CarboTech and haven't looked back. I use the 1521 for the street then swap out to XP20 for the track. Only issue when swapping to a track pad at the house then driving to the track is that you don't have the level or brake feel of the 1521. Takes more effort to stop and much more brake travel but once you get heat into them they will last 20/30 minute session perfect. Couldn't say the same for the stock pads which I went through in about 8k miles...

2012 Mustang GT Brembo package w/3.55 rear end
+Shifter/Bracket from American Muscle
+Corbeau CR1 seats
+Carbotech 1521 (Street) / XP20 (Race) Motul RBF600
+Koni Adj yellow F/R, Sam Strano Adj Sway F/R, SR Lowering springs 1.5", Maximum Motorsport Adj Panhard, GT500 strut mounts
+X Pipe , GT500 Mufflers , BAMA Tune
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I just finished learning my lesson on brake pads. I had SP Performance Street Plus metallics on my car for about 1 year. Even though they were sold as street pads they required a hard stop from 80+ to get enough heat to REALLY bite. Huge amounts of dust also. Anyway, if you have to have an aggressive street ONLY pad, the Carbotech 1521 Bobcat is probably tops. Be prepared to pay top dollar also. Front only for the standard caliper is about $147. Hawk ceramics would be good. I have read good review on Akebono ProAct ceramics, and they are reasonably priced. Me??? I am on AutoZone Duralast Gold CMAX ceramics. They work as good or better than stock, low dust, and no noise. Plus, they are very inexpensive. I kept the SP pads for track day in July. Hope this helps.

2012 GT premium 6r80 Kona Blue with Saddle interior : Magnacharged, 3.55s, BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S 255/45-18, GT500 axlebacks, Saleen grill, CS lower valance, SLP trunk panel, MRT adjustable head restraints, BOSS oil cooler, BOSS brakes lines, C-Max ceramics for street and SP Performance Street Plus pads for light track duty, NAPA 5.1 brake fluid, BMR springs, LCA relocation brackets, panhard bar, Steeda ProAction shocks and struts. GT500 strut mounts, other small mods. Daily Driver.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

thanks for the info guys

'12 Black GT Premium, 6 Speed, Hurst Shifter, GT500 Spoiler, Staggered Shelby Razors, Michelin PSS, BMR SFCs, Borla S, Cortex Suspension with Coil Overs and Watts Link, Whiteline Front Sway bar and LCAs
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

" Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM."

I have HAWK HPS on mine; improved braking over OEM, and hardly any dust at all...nothing but good things to say about Hawk HPS. Stock pads are just dust inducing pads!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
" Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM."

I have HAWK HPS on mine; improved braking over OEM, and hardly any dust at all...nothing but good things to say about Hawk HPS. Stock pads are just dust inducing pads!
Did hps pads change pedal feeling?
Apprentice

I was interested in the viability of the 1521's or the AX6's as a good hybrid street/track pad...I track the car maybe 5 times a year...

2013 GT Base GHIG Track Pack + Recaros + GT500 AxleBacks + Boss 302 Tranny Cooler + Ford Racing Pro-Calibration
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Check with Carbotech. They specify the 1521 Bobcat as street only. I talked to them and they were adamant about it. They said the AX6 would be useable on the street, BUT expect lots of dust and a good bit of noise. Exactly what I already was trying to get away from with the pads I had on the car. No dual purpose pads. Run street pads on the street and swap to race pads for track days. I learned the hard way.

2012 GT premium 6r80 Kona Blue with Saddle interior : Magnacharged, 3.55s, BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S 255/45-18, GT500 axlebacks, Saleen grill, CS lower valance, SLP trunk panel, MRT adjustable head restraints, BOSS oil cooler, BOSS brakes lines, C-Max ceramics for street and SP Performance Street Plus pads for light track duty, NAPA 5.1 brake fluid, BMR springs, LCA relocation brackets, panhard bar, Steeda ProAction shocks and struts. GT500 strut mounts, other small mods. Daily Driver.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyseahawk34 View Post
I was interested in the viability of the 1521's or the AX6's as a good hybrid street/track pad...I track the car maybe 5 times a year...
Don't do it, you'll destroy them. Depending on your tires and suspension, go for anything from the XP12 to the XP24 on the front, and XP8 to XP12 on the rear for track

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page