Dealer recommened oil change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dealer recommened oil change

So my car only has 1350 miles on it currently. I called the dealer to ask about the first oil change. I was wondering if I should go at a certain month as opposed to a certain mileage. He said the car will tell you when it needs it. It can be at 5k or 10k miles, the car knows...........This is a weird answer for me as I am used to changing oil every 3-5k miles or every 6-8 months if the mileage doesn't hit first. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CylindersMore View Post
So my car only has 1350 miles on it currently. I called the dealer to ask about the first oil change. I was wondering if I should go at a certain month as opposed to a certain mileage. He said the car will tell you when it needs it. It can be at 5k or 10k miles, the car knows...........This is a weird answer for me as I am used to changing oil every 3-5k miles or every 6-8 months if the mileage doesn't hit first. Any suggestions?
It really depends on how you drive it. If you baby it and don't track it then i would say go by the mileage. If you drive it like you stole it and track it then i would say either change it around 5k or 6 months whatever comes first. I drive it like i stole it basically and i change it every 10k like the book says. I have 65k on my car now.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
The engine holds 8 quarts of oil. There is no reason to run it on short oil change intervals. I've been changing my oil in the 7500-8000 mile range with oil samples at each change showing that the oil is still in good condition.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
GT Member

Just buy a high quality synthetic and you can go 10k miles intervals. I use amsoil products and my engine loves it!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Nothing wrong at all with 7-10K mile intervals but I would do the first one before 3K'
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
PONY Member

I did my first oil change at about 4,700 miles and that was only because my car was a year old at that point and I didn't want to leave the oil in it for over a year. I will probably go by the OLM or one year if I don't put a lot of miles on it.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

6k year toy used but not tracked I do mine every 9 months = 4x in 3 years rather than the 3x that Ford reccomends. You'll see a variety of choices pick the one you are comfortable with.

Old school and also suggest the 1st one early........

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
GT Member

I do mine by the oil life meter which works out to be 7-8,000 miles with my driving.
Did the first oil change around 72xx.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
BOSS Member

I take a bit of a different perspective on this...and with Engine Break-in
While much of the engine components are seated, there are some (such as piston rings) that can take up to 1,000 miles to fully seat. Here's what I do with every new OEM vehicle...for the 1st 1,000 miles

1. I lock out overdrive and drive normally (city & hwy)- this keeps the rpm's constantly varied...do not beat on the engine
2. At 500 miles, I change the oil & filter to remove any mfg contaminents that may exist.
3. At 800-1,000 miles.....we go for a long trip....something in the 2-4 hour driving range, running 70-80 mph with the overdrive off.
4. Upon my return, I change oil & filter.
I guarantee you engine will have a much different, smoother "feel" to it. Max mpg's though are typically seen at around 10k miles.

Some items that I will just refer to as "of interest" to me.....

1. The timing chain tensioners are hydraulically operated, cleanliness of the oil is imperative to keep the actuators functioning.

2. Most of the oil filter mfgs conceed, that after about 90 days of use, the bypass valve in the filter opens to some degree. While the stored/caught particulates do not escape, the oil is allowed to flow straight through to prevent starvation. I change filters every 3 months in my daily drivers....going back to the 90's.

3. With the extended oil changes 5,000 up to 10,000 miles, with the reduced ZDDP and the longer exposure to periodic oil filter bypass activation, this is another parallel to the hydraulic timing chain actuators failing at around 100k miles as compared to their design specs which say they should be good for 150K+ miles. Thos who have experienced these specific failures, the majority report they are on extended oil drain frequencies- most of the Ford Master Techs i have spoken diretly too regarding this, agree their gut instint says there is a relationship between the two.

4. I too do extended coolant & oil changes on my vehicles. I use cathodic protection installed in each of the vehicle coolant reserve containers, the ph and ehtylene glycol levels of the water is checked annually and the fluid is removed, filtered (3 ppm), the system is flushed and then refilled with the same fluid every 5 years. The oil on my 65 300 hp mustang (which has been inthe family since new), has only seen 3 oil changes since its ground up rebuild (and of course after the engine break-in period) since the mid 1980's......but I do change the oem filter annually and i run a bypass filter (filters down to 5 ppm) and on the last oil change (which was recent) I did add one bottle of ZDDP per after discussing this indetail with Ron Eskenderian (yes, Isky Racing Cams), and I add 1/3 of a bottle to my mod motors as well (1997 Cougar Sport 4.6 & 2006 Lincoln Mark LT 5.4)- IIRR it is a 9 oz bottle.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
PONY Member

I say keep the oil in there and change it around 5k miles and that is still considered early. I changed mine at around 2500 miles and got a random ticking noise. It went away. But if they have that rumored oil additive in the initial oil fill from the factory it would beneficial to run that oil as long as possible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp
Apprentice
S197 Member

I go by the meter. First change at 8K. I autocross 6 times a year...I use fresh Z-MAX at every change because Carrol Shelby said he uses it in all his cars!

2011 GT 5.0 Premium 401a, MT82, Glass roof, Brembo, Comfort, 3.55, accessory trim 5 (scoups, flat panel, Pedistal spoiler)
mods: CS front valance with fogs & Roush harness, Roush side splitters, LMP sport hood, RTR rear valance, MRT hood struts, invisible bra, Corsa Extreme & X pipe, anniversary staggered wheels, Steeda shifter, Oracle LED halos, Ultra Silverstar.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captzero View Post
I go by the meter. First change at 8K. I autocross 6 times a year...I use fresh Z-MAX at every change because Carrol Shelby said he uses it in all his cars!
Carol Shelby and Z-Max | Oil Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I didn't like Carol Shelbys Chili....just sayin

Oh, were you being ironic? my bad if so

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

I change my oil every 5K with Motorcraft 5w20 and Motorcraft FL-500S filter. Currently 24,000 on the odometer.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
PONY Member

First change was less than 3k miles, normal changes around 7500 with RP 5w-30.

2012 Premium Mustang GT 5.0 MT82 Red Candy Metallic 3.73's / HID & Security Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Barton 2 Post / Borla S-type Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page