BIG MUSCLE mods Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

BIG MUSCLE mods Mustang GT

Pretty good review from stock to aftermarket for track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOS1Clt6KQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
BOSS Member

Yawn...true but boring IMHO....going to the heart of the 13 minutes is...look at the Boss 302, compared to the GT.....Ford spent many a $ & time developing both.....the comparison is like reading a parts catalog and will tell you exactly what you need to do....................

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much that setup would set you back dollar wise.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

This really makes me want to get my car out early and go for a drive. Gotta wait for the salt to get washed off the road yet though

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much that setup would set you back dollar wise.
I feel like it would make us broke!

2007 v6 Premium Pony Pkg Satin Silver Mustang | Go 'Noles
Dual 12" Subwoofers | Aftermarket System (Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS) | Magnaflow 16605 Cat-back Dual Exhaust | JLT CAI | SF3 Tuner | BBK 70mm TB | Sequential Lights
Sold!
2014 GT/CS Black Mustang
Borla S-Type AB

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
Apprentice

It felt like a cortex advertisement IMO.

2013 Gotta have it Green Mustang GT-Track pack, Recaros, Koni Yellows, Steeda Race Springs, 25% Tint, AMR Wheels, FRPP Sport Axleback, Adjustable Panhard bar, Whiteline Transmission Mount, Hawk DTC-60 Race Pads.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
Apprentice

Has anyone tried the torque arm they talked about in the vid? They said it's supposed to reduce brake dive. It makes sense if it builds some anti dive into the rear suspension geometry...

Then the description in the site says it improves straight line traction without sacrificing handling... And implies it's quiet...

Has anyone here tried it? Does it work as advertised?

Xtreme-Grip Torque Arm System, 2005+ Mustang | CorteX RacingCorteX Racing

2014 White Mustang GT MT82 3.73 Brembo Recaro
Kooks catback, Barton 2 post, CJPonyparts Clutchline, Vorshlag Brakelines, ST Coilovers, BMR LCA, Panhard Rod, and Relo Brackets
12.502 @ 112.28 - 1.917 60' <-- stock tires
(Avatar is my old car, don't have a cool pic of my 'merica car yet)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I went on cortex's website and the full setup is around $4300. Not bad considering the shocks are $2300
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014
PONY Member

Cortex

Thanks for the post Dave - Great Video !!! IMO this is where all modders should start !!

Yes - cortex's torque arm is quite the piece - look up post from Lawman and he raves about it.

I plan the cortex torque arm, watts link & lca's this summer .

I have a 2009 c/s convertible that drives like its on rails - tracks amazing on the street - and on those winding country roads - stiff suspension though.

My 2014 coupe is nothing like my 2009 - it is very soft - so I have to touch base with cortex to find out how to make it more like my 2009.

The torque arm is all about putting the power on to the pavement - amazing how many people here want more hp without first upgrading the suspension. Kind of like having tons of pasta sauce without the pasta.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
Has anyone tried the torque arm they talked about in the vid? They said it's supposed to reduce brake dive. It makes sense if it builds some anti dive into the rear suspension geometry...

Then the description in the site says it improves straight line traction without sacrificing handling... And implies it's quiet...

Has anyone here tried it? Does it work as advertised?

Xtreme-Grip Torque Arm System, 2005+ Mustang | CorteX RacingCorteX Racing
There are a few on here and at S197 that have the TA from Cortex...lawman on here has it...says he loves it...made the car more predictable...I think he mentioned it's like point and shoot now. I was going with their full setup, but after talking to Kelly @ BMR, he convinced me to hold off and see what they will have for a Watts Link...I asked about a TA and he said they MAY develop one...if they do (and I'm thinking they will based on our conversation) it won't be out till later this year probably.

1997 Pacific Green Mustang Cobra...long gone
2014 GT SGM Track Pack 6MT, Recaro's, JLT Catchcan, Kenwood DNX890HD, Maestro MUS1, Maestro RR iDataLink, 2-JL 10W1V3, 4-JL C2570X, JL XD6006, Custom Sub Enclosure
Not yet installed: ARH LT's, Borla OAP's, Borla S, a crap-ton of BMR stuff when they are ready, Forgestar F14's or CF-5's, some form of Coil Overs
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_SD View Post
There are a few on here and at S197 that have the TA from Cortex...lawman on here has it...says he loves it...made the car more predictable...I think he mentioned it's like point and shoot now. I was going with their full setup, but after talking to Kelly @ BMR, he convinced me to hold off and see what they will have for a Watts Link...I asked about a TA and he said they MAY develop one...if they do (and I'm thinking they will based on our conversation) it won't be out till later this year probably.
But a Watts Link and Torque Arm are 2 different things... I did read lawmans review. If I can find a TA I like, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it.
I like the Cortex unit, but it needs to be used with their Watt Link. That pushes me away cause of 2 reasons. Even the street version has heim joints. I really don't want anything with a heim joint in my car cause it sucks for a street car from a maintenance perspective. They wear out fast if you don't keep them clean and there's no real way to keep them clean on a car I use daily. The other is there have been failures, in fact there have been failures with every Watts Link except for custom massively over built ones that end up costing 2k+.

The other one I looked at was Griggs, but it has a heim joint on the end, not a poly or rubber bushing, so thats out. I saw lawman link to a Lakewood TA in one of his threads, but all I could find on that was the SEMA review link that he provided. Couldn't even find it on Lakewood's website.

BMR puts out some great products, especially from a daily driver perspective, poly bushings with zerk fittings. I'm hoping their Watts Link keeps following that philosophy along with some massive overbuilding. If it does I'll prolly end up getting it. But that still doesn't do anything for the TA part of the suspension...

Kooks catback, Barton 2 post, CJPonyparts Clutchline, Vorshlag Brakelines, ST Coilovers, BMR LCA, Panhard Rod, and Relo Brackets
GT Member
S197 Member

Torque arm...it's a relic from the SN95/Fox days. Set the three-link up right and its not needed. There are much better dampers out there than those JRi's too, but at least they didn't use their Konis! Where are the Penskes or Ohlins?!! Come on Cortex...

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
Torque arm...it's a relic from the SN95/Fox days. Set the three-link up right and its not needed.
have you driven or rode in an S197 with a torque arm? Every personal account (a whomping 2, but I only spent a couple hours looking) of it seams to be great...

edit:
the biggest thing I like about what I'm hearing about torque arms is that it reduces brake dive and squat under acceleration. only other thing that could help that is some stiff springs... and I don't want really stiff springs...

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
have you driven or rode in an S197 with a torque arm? Every personal account (a whomping 2, but I only spent a couple hours looking) of it seams to be great...

edit:
the biggest thing I like about what I'm hearing about torque arms is that it reduces brake dive and squat under acceleration. only other thing that could help that is some stiff springs... and I don't want really stiff springs...
I have. I've ridden in a TA car and a spherical UCA car, and based on those rides I picked spherical UCA. If one of the accounts is Lawman's...well...he does interesting stuff with the car but can be overzealous in reviewing parts and such.

Why don't you want stiff springs? Stiff springs don't necessarily equate to a bad ride. I run 550# front springs on my car, 250# rear. The ride is actually really great. You just need good shocks. Good shocks can take of a lot, I did a lot of successful autocross and trackdays with a stock UCA.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
I have. I've ridden in a TA car and a spherical UCA car, and based on those rides I picked spherical UCA. If one of the accounts is Lawman's...well...he does interesting stuff with the car but can be overzealous in reviewing parts and such.

Why don't you want stiff springs? Stiff springs don't necessarily equate to a bad ride. I run 550# front springs on my car, 250# rear. The ride is actually really great. You just need good shocks. Good shocks can take of a lot, I did a lot of successful autocross and trackdays with a stock UCA.
Cause good shocks are expensive...

But I most likely won't end up with a TA just cause I can't find one that I like...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page