Electric exhaust cutouts - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Electric exhaust cutouts

Pypes makes them. Just wondering if when they,re open would they cause any issues with the computer. think it would be a nice way to eliminate all back pressure for a little drag racing and then be able to close it up when heading back on the street. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014
PONY Member

Depends where you place them. After the cat and all of the 02 sensors, the car has no way of telling they exist.

If you run them in front of these components, yes, you might trip the MIL if it is run extensively with them open.

The farther back you run them, the more you get the "straight pipe" sounds instead of open header ones.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
I have the Pipes electric cutouts--and the lth, catted x pipe and GT500 axle backs--very loud, but NICE--Ithis is my seet up; LTH, than xpipe, than further back, (took out resenators) and the cutouts just ahead of rear tires,
I feel some loss of power at Hi rpms when the cutouts are open. I think we need back pressure or lose HP. So I plan on leaving them closed when on the strip, They sure change the sound tho!!

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I have QTP cutouts on my Boss. Awesome. No car benefits from exhaust restriction.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sohc View Post
I have QTP cutouts on my Boss. Awesome. No car benefits from exhaust restriction.
How was the install? Can you open them hakf way or is it an all or nothing kind of deal?

I've been thinking about getting them for my GT with boss exhaust.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

The QTP's are infinitely adjustable. You can go from cracked to where you barely hear it to wideopen to where you can barely stand it. Not really. They never get obnoxious but they are illegally loud wide open. It behooves anyone who has the Boss exhaust to get get these. I use them every day. As far as install, it's pretty basic. The two decisions you have to make are where to run the wires into the cabin and where to tap a 12 volt source. Most guys seem to run the wires forward past the firewall and then back through the dash and console to the switch. That seemed like too much work to me. I sprang for the remote and ran the wires rearward up through two large rubber plugs under the rear seat cushion. I was hoping to tap into a switched 12v. supply in the large wiring harness that also runs under the rear seat but was intimidated by the number of wires. There is supposed to be a switched 12v. connector in the console for heated seats but I couldn't find it. I ended up tapping a constant 12v. source for my remote. After three months it hasn't drained the battery so I'm not concerned.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page