BC racing coilover spring rates? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

BC racing coilover spring rates?

I have a 2013 gt and I want to lower my car as low as possible but still be able to daily. I'm not that concerned about ride quality but I definitely don't want 18k and 20k nothing ridiculous because like I said it's my daily and I'd like to be able to walk after I'm done driving. The reason that I think I should get a stiffer spring rate then 8k and 10k is because I'm not sure if I am going to have issues bottoming out with rates that low. Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2013 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Honest advice: don't waste your money. BC dampers are just not that good. They'll give a killer stance and generally look great, but the ride and handling characteristics are not nearly as good as you'd have with a decent set of stock-style dampers and lowering springs.

On spring rates: 10k (550#) is too much for anything short of a very good monotube racing shock that's not made in China, and too much for a DD. I have 550# springs on my car, but it's not a DD, and I wouldn't DD it as it sits. I'd probably go for an 8k (450#) front spring for a DD setup, and probably a 3k (170#) for the rears.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh View Post
Honest advice: don't waste your money. BC dampers are just not that good. They'll give a killer stance and generally look great, but the ride and handling characteristics are not nearly as good as you'd have with a decent set of stock-style dampers and lowering springs.

On spring rates: 10k (550#) is too much for anything short of a very good monotube racing shock that's not made in China, and too much for a DD. I have 550# springs on my car, but it's not a DD, and I wouldn't DD it as it sits. I'd probably go for an 8k (450#) front spring for a DD setup, and probably a 3k (170#) for the rears.
Do you think they'll be better then the eibach shocks and struts I have. I think they're the sportlines. And I don't know that much about coils so why would 10k be too much I'm the rear. I only said 8k and 10k because that's what BC had recommended when I emailed them asking what they thought I should run.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etol94 View Post
Do you think they'll be better then the eibach shocks and struts I have. I think they're the sportlines. And I don't know that much about coils so why would 10k be too much I'm the rear. I only said 8k and 10k because that's what BC had recommended when I emailed them asking what they thought I should run.
No I don't think they'd be better from a performance or ride point of view. 10k is too much for the rear because it will make the rear WWAAAAYYY too stiff. Oversteer city.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
No I don't think they'd be better from a performance or ride point of view. 10k is too much for the rear because it will make the rear WWAAAAYYY too stiff. Oversteer city.
Right now I have SR performance springs. They're only 180 bucks so I never expected them to be the best but the spring rates on them are 230 front and 200 rear. I am looking to go low and try to get rid of almost all of the wheel gap I can but I also still need to be able to drive the car to work everyday haha. Stiffness and harsh ride isn't really an issue but like you said 10k rear would be too much. Would I be better off doing a 8k/3k as you said and just stiffining the dampening on the coils?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Right now I have SR performance springs. They're only 180 bucks so I never expected them to be the best but the spring rates on them are 230 front and 200 rear. I am looking to go low and try to get rid of almost all of the wheel gap I can but I also still need to be able to drive the car to work everyday haha. Stiffness and harsh ride isn't really an issue but like you said 10k rear would be too much. Would I be better off doing a 8k/3k as you said and just stiffining the dampening on the coils?
More rebound isn't necessarily better...you'd just have to play with various settings, seeing what feels the best. I usually turn my dampers down to ~15% for street driving, and increase them for track/autox, but only as much as I need to get good handling characteristics. I try and run the least amount of rebound possible without inducing understeer on entry or exit. Too much rebound (stiffness) just make your car go on ice skates.

8k/3k is a good street setup. Just make sure the springs are long enough to give you some travel in the suspension.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
More rebound isn't necessarily better...you'd just have to play with various settings, seeing what feels the best. I usually turn my dampers down to ~15% for street driving, and increase them for track/autox, but only as much as I need to get good handling characteristics. I try and run the least amount of rebound possible without inducing understeer on entry or exit. Too much rebound (stiffness) just make your car go on ice skates.

8k/3k is a good street setup. Just make sure the springs are long enough to give you some travel in the suspension.
If I'm going really low wouldn't more suspension travel be worse? Wouldn't that cause more rubbing issues?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:

But I assume you are saying some suspension travel is needed for better performance correct?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
But I assume you are saying some suspension travel is needed for better performance correct?
Yes. Suspension doesn't really work if it can't move

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page