2011 GT tire suggestions? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011 GT tire suggestions?

Well I'm long overdue for new tires - almost 4 years and 33,000 miles in, can't hold any traction at full power anything below 60 lol. So most importantly I'm looking for the best grip to give to my 412 HP. Daily driver, except garaged during rainy days and during the long Michigan winters. Assuming most of you 5.0 owners have probably gotten new tires by now, any experiences or suggestions you wouldn't mind sharing, including costs? Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Try Continental DW or DWS they ride great much more quiet that the Pirelli. As far as price they are a little pricey but you should find a deal in your local area. I changed mine out at 38000 and now have just turned 50000 they are wearing well and are still quiet. Do a little research on line and listen to the comments then decide.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Try Continental DW or DWS they ride great much more quiet that the Pirelli. As far as price they are a little pricey but you should find a deal in your local area. I changed mine out at 38000 and now have just turned 50000 they are wearing well and are still quiet. Do a little research on line and listen to the comments then decide.
^^10 on the Continental DWS -- I had a set on my 2009 Bullitt and still have them on my 1998 Camaro SS -- unbelievably sticky wet traction! In a northern climate, they would definitely be my choice. Check out Tirerack.com for their test results -- very impressive!

2014 Mustang GT California Special/Deep Impact Blue/ 6-Speed Manual/3:73/Ordered 10-5-2013/Built 10-28-2013/Delivered 11-7-2013
Ford Racing ProCal Tune/K&N FRPP Air Filter/GT500 MGTCA1 Mufflers/JLT Oil Separator/Sound Tube Delete/BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 275/40/19's (all 4 corners on stock 8 1/2" rims)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I agree. I am on my second set of continental extreme contact DWs and think they are a great balance of comfort/performance/longevity.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
Apprentice

I went with the Michelin Super Sports and they have been fantastic in the wet, dry, and even for track days...and they have a mileage warranty! I love 'em and they have gotten top reviews from several evaluations. See the comparison test below for some interesting info.

Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

I have heard very good things about the Conti DW as well.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, 6SP, Brembo Pkg., Pedestal spoiler, Roush louvers, FRPP P Springs, F/R sway bars, adj. dampers, Flowmaster axle backs, Boss lower valence/splitter, Steeda shifter bracket, tint, Boss oil cooler, FRPP Brake cooling
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Since you live in Michigan, there is a good chance you endure many morning below the freezing mark, which includes late fall and early spring, so unless you only plan to drive your car when the temps are 50F and above, I would look into All-Season tires only, as summer tires can crack at low temps and provide less traction than all-seasons at the lower temps.

I just put a set of 255/45/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my car, and I'm ecstatic. These tires balanced up with less weight than the factory Pirelli P Zero's on the Brembo wheels, ride extremely smooth (not mushy smooth, flat as glass smooth), no steering wheel vibration, have great initial turn-in, and have less deflection being transmitted into the chassis when hitting pavement or bridge seams. Since they are new, of course they have good traction and are quiet, but since these are not summer tires (which usually have one single row of solid rubber), I expect they will always be quieter than multiple summer rubber tires I've been driving on for the last 2-years. These cost more than the average A/S tire, but so far, they are proving to be worth it.

As for summer tires, I've had the Continental DW Extreme's on my 2011 GT. These lasted about 20k miles (mostly highway miles), had good traction above 50F, tires balanced initially, rode well, and are priced well as well. On the negative, after the tires were about 1/2 life, they started getting noticeably louder with road noise, and no amount of balancing would get rid of a slight steering wheel vibration. Another thing I noticed with the tires was a little loss of initial turn-in, cold-rubber flat spotting (meaning you felt a slight vibration until the tires warmed since the rubber molded flat while sitting overnight), and quick wearing of the shoulders.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are great tires from all the things I've read about them, and are probably the top of the premium summer rubber compound tires available at this time, providing some of the longest rated life as well.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the thorough breakdowns, I'll definitely keep these ones in mind and check out pricing soon.

Any opinions on the Nitto NT555s or Invos? These seem to be quite popular for summer as well, but also with a fair share of bad reviews, but obviously every tire will have some mixed reviews.

Good point on MI temps, though I don't drive at freezing or below. Probably a few morning work commutes here and there over the past few years I've done 35ish degrees and the Pirellis managed fine, but obviously I wasn't punching it during these colder drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page