How Can I Tell If My Car Is Tuned? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

How Can I Tell If My Car Is Tuned?

So I bought my '13 used and it had a new h pipe, flowmaster mufflers, and a jlt CAI, that's all I can tell just from looking around at it, but is there a way I can tell if it has been tuned? Thanks in advance guys!

MY RIDES
2013 Performance White GT Premium: Tune, CAI, Flowmasters
1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland: MANY mods and improvements
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
Apprentice

Smile

If its been tuned and you bought it from the original owner they probably would have given you a programmer with the car (ie an SCT X3/SF3). But the easiest way to know is to have your dealer check it out real quick. He can hook up to the OBD port under the dash and tell you in 2 minutes.

Another option:Most tuners increase the rev limiter above the factory 6850 RPM, so if you can rev it to 7000 before the rev limiter shuts it down that's another indication its been tuned.

One thing to note, if the car was tuned (even if its been returned to stock tune) the dealer can tell and and it may have voided your engine warranty. That said I am getting ready to tune mine anyway.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, 6SP, Brembo Pkg., Pedestal spoiler, Roush louvers, FRPP P Springs, F/R sway bars, adj. dampers, Flowmaster axle backs, Boss lower valence/splitter, Steeda shifter bracket, tint, Boss oil cooler, FRPP Brake cooling
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
PONY Member

A dealership would be able to tell if the ecu has been flashed even if it was returned to stock

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
GT Member

If its running good with no cats and no cells its tuned!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Okay thanks guys, I'm pretty sure it goes to 7000, and it runs good without cats so I guess it's been tuned, it kinda makes me nervous because I don't know who tuned its but it was probably BAMA because it has a jlt CAI and the guy probably got a combo deal...thanks guys! Also if I want to change my tune, does it matter if I know if it's been tuned before, like does it have to be returned to stock before I apply I new tune?

MY RIDES
2012 Ford Focus: Rims, Steeda CAI & Tune, Steeda Pro Springs, Steeda Front & Rear Swaybar, Steeda Rear Toe End Link, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
GT Member

When you get the car retuned it should be returned to stock before adding a new tune. But if you take it to a reputable tuner for a dyno tune, your tuner will be able to load a base tune for you even though you don't have a sct tuner!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014
Apprentice

I think you have to return to stock before you put in a new tune. Not sure how you would do that though. Maybe you can talk to the guys at BAMA. If you give them your computer code they might be able to see if it was their tune and help walk you through what to do for a new tune.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, 6SP, Brembo Pkg., Pedestal spoiler, Roush louvers, FRPP P Springs, F/R sway bars, adj. dampers, Flowmaster axle backs, Boss lower valence/splitter, Steeda shifter bracket, tint, Boss oil cooler, FRPP Brake cooling
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014
Apprentice

I never return to stock when changing tunes. I've heard horror stories of people bricking the ECU that way but it hasn't happened to me. Just make sure your battery has a full charge before you try. Like someone else mentioned, if your car has been tuned then you may run into warranty issues with the engine. Where did you buy the car from? If it was from a dealership I'd be having a talk with them about your warranty.

2012 GT. Auto. K&N drop in filter, Pypes pypebomb axle back, Bama 93R tune. Better tires, x-pipe to come. Resonators to go.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014
Banned

Did you buy it from a dealer? Did it come with a warranty or as is? If yes, you can have them check it. If they try to void the warranty tell them you want your money back. I am sure that they won't try to void your warranty in this case. BUT, if they return it to stock you might run into a bunch of CEL's and a bag of worms. In any event you should have them document that you bought the car with the changes/upgrades you mentioned.
But as some other people mentioned this car probably has a tune. check out this link.

JLT Performance Mustang Cold Air Intake CAI-FMG-11 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping
Banned

Duplicate post
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I'm definitely going to call the dealer and ask them about it because they offered a pre owned warranty and it came with the tune exhaust and cai. It also looks a little lower than other stangs but I don't know how to check my springs lol..

MY RIDES
Apprentice

I have never needed to, but dealers can upload the factory tune on to the ecu, overwriting what is in there.

I've run mine with the stock tune for short periods of time (a week or ~40 miles) with an O/R X-pipe and it didnt throw any codes for me, but doesn't mean it won't for someone else. I'd ask them ahead of time, but if you order a tuner from BAMA or any of the others out there, I assume that when you are loading the tune, it will treat whatever tune is in the ecu as the stock tune for "returning to stock". I am sure you are not the first one to have an unknown tune possibly loaded on your car so they can answer that probably quickly. If it is running great right now and no issues, I wouldn't even bother touching the tune until you need to.

The stock springs are black, struts are black, and will have a part number on one of the coils of each spring and will usually have FoMoCo on them. I have stock ones sitting around if you want a comparison. Or you could have the dealer check it out for you whenever they have it.

2011 GT Sterling Gray Metallic - Roush Supercharger 85mm Pulley, JLT Big Air Intake, VMP Tune, Stainless Work 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers, O/R X-Pipe, Retro Muffler, Tokico D-Spec, Steeda Ultralite springs, BMR LCA&ReLoBrackets, J&M PHB, Tremec Magnum XL, McLeod RXT, Aluminum Driveshaft, 4.10, Eaton TrueTrac, Moser Axles

1993 LX Vert Electric Red (Under Construction) - 306, GT40 Heads, Tublar intake, E303 cam, Forged pistons, 70mm TB
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

OP, are you saying your car has an offroad H-pipe, ie. no cats? I can't believe any dealer would sell such a car. That's a federal crime. Even in Texas.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sohc View Post
OP, are you saying your car has an offroad H-pipe, ie. no cats? I can't believe any dealer would sell such a car. That's a federal crime. Even in Texas.
Yup, I've also had a dealer purchase and sell one of my previous mustangs that had off-road exhaust.

I don't know if it matters but this is a dealer that sells customized cars for individuals, kind of like a middle man, they give it a warranty and engine inspection for like 6 months. My inspection sticker is also up to date, and I have lifted the car and I have no cats, so they definitely did something lol...but I'm not complaining...

I actually had a front bumper fog light kit in my trunk when I bought the car. Like the lower bumper part on the '13s lol I guess the previous owner left it.

MY RIDES
Apprentice

I thought if he car was returned to stock when going in for service the dealership couldn't tell if it was tuned previously? Like the tune didn't leave any footprints in the ECU that the dealer could see..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page