2013 GT - Borla S-Type Axleback Rattle & Upgrade - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 GT - Borla S-Type Axleback Rattle & Upgrade

Hey all,

I installed my Borla S-Type Axlebacks about a year ago and love the sound. My only problem is after about 4 months I started getting a rattle at about 1000rpm (it goes away at lower and higher) that sounds like it's coming from the exhaust. Everything is tight still so I'm not sure. I was also thinking about doing the rest so I have a full aftermarket catback.

1. Is there something wrong with my S-type? I am thinking about taking it into a muffler shop here in Columbus to see if I missed anything that could cause this

2. What is the best pipe setup for the Coyote motors? X-pipe, H-Pipe, true duals? I plan to eventually put a supercharger on it but it will be a while (budget and other things) - I'd just like to lay the best framework for it in advance.

3. Will I need a new tune for this? I know for air intake I would but not sure for compression changes.

Last edited by slashflex; 04-14-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014
Banned

1. Is there something wrong with my S-type? I am thinking about taking it into a muffler shop here in Columbus to see if I missed anything that could cause this

Most likely something is touching some where. Look everything over for metal to metal contact. Especially at the hangers and the clearance between the panhard brace and where the tail pipe goes over it. There is naturally less clearance on the left side in this area. Should have a minimum 1/4" gap everywhere.

2. What is the best pipe setup for the Coyote motors? X-pipe, H-Pipe, true duals? I plan to eventually put a supercharger on it but it will be a while (budget and other things) - I'd just like to lay the best framework for it in advance.

Depends on the sound you like. Loud and raspy - X pipe. Deeper and more muscle like - H pipe.

3. Will I need a new tune for this? I know for air intake I would but not sure for compression changes.

Shouldn't need a new tune unless you do an off road pipe that eliminates the cats.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post

Most likely something is touching some where. Look everything over for metal to metal contact. Especially at the hangers and the clearance between the panhard brace and where the tail pipe goes over it. There is naturally less clearance on the left side in this area. Should have a minimum 1/4" gap everywhere.

Depends on the sound you like. Loud and raspy - X pipe. Deeper and more muscle like - H pipe.

Shouldn't need a new tune unless you do an off road pipe that eliminates the cats.
Thank you sir! I'll put it on the lift and give it another once over before I spend money on it in that case.

And H-pipes it is! I guess there is no significant airflow difference between the 3?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashflex View Post
Thank you sir! I'll put it on the lift and give it another once over before I spend money on it in that case.

And H-pipes it is! I guess there is no significant airflow difference between the 3?
If you're trying to squeeze that last few hp out at higher rpm, then the x would be the way to go. Personally, I just don't like the sound. Haven't really heard of anyone not using either an x or an h on these motors, so I can't really offer and advice on that option except to say the crossover, x or h, does equalize back pressure in the system and helps with the scavenging of the exhaust gasses. The H pipe and tri-y header design on our coyote's have been around for a long time. My 1966 GT350 had those right from the factory.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014
PONY Member

If you can't move things around a bit and the tolerance is close, you might trying wrapping the rubbing part with some exhaust wrap to keep the noise down a bit... until it wears through from contact over time. The, re-wrap it. Would take quite a bit of time to wear through.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashflex View Post
Hey all,

I installed my Borla S-Type Axlebacks about a year ago and love the sound. My only problem is after about 4 months I started getting a rattle at about 1000rpm (it goes away at lower and higher) that sounds like it's coming from the exhaust. Everything is tight still so I'm not sure. I was also thinking about doing the rest so I have a full aftermarket catback.
Installing an engineered cat-back exhaust would be the way to go. Pretty much all of them are 3" pipe, so will support a blower or turbo setup.

Quote:
Quite possibly, something is contacting the car. Check it when everything is totally warmed up- your exhaust system grows by as much as 3/4 inch when hot, so what looks OK cold can touch the car when expanded.

Quote:
Do NOT eliminate the crossover pipe! H pipes (what the car has now) will provide more of a bass rumble, while X pipes will have a higher-pitched, raspier sound. There will be no noticeable performance difference between the two. The car will sound horrible and lose a lot of performance without a crosssover. As I noted above, manufactured cat-back exhausts will support a blower. Even though it's cheaper, avoid having a muffler shop fabricate the pipes. It won't have the needed engineering behind it.

Quote:
No, even a full cat-back exhaust will (should) not require a tune.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014

Thank you SteveGT and jbt56 for the quick answers - they hold much truth. To Slash - if it took four months to get that sound around 1000rpm, chances are you've done enough rumbling the last four months for something to either make contact and create vibration, or loosened something that needs to be re-tightened. Like Steve said, even 1/4 inch can make a difference. I suggest taking a closer look with a muffler shop while its on a lift so you can get a direct view of it all. As far as the pipes, SteveGT's suggestions are also on point. We offer a full variety for you to choose your next piping upgrade. but jbt56 is correct as far as losing the crosspipes - all cars are engineered a certain way and our systems are definitely built to each specific car with a lot of r&d behind it - taking things off and replacing them don't always mean more flow or more power. Good job on planning ahead taking advantage of the forums and Borla's proven sciences. Good luck and happy motoring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page