UPDATE to NYS inspection failure - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

UPDATE to NYS inspection failure

My 2012 GT failed inspection due to catalyst and o2 monitor readiness faults. The solution to this was a bit of a PITA but not bad as it only took 30 minutes to do. It was necessary to reinstall the factory air intake and return the car to stock tune, then a mixed bag of driving for about 75 miles and all was well, inspection passed no problem.
Now my personal issue is, is this process repeatable, can I re-tune the car for the year and return AGAIN to stock with no problems?? Should I leave well enough alone and put the CAI and tuner on ebay?
Or maybe I should just move out of NYS. (LOL, not a real option right now)

[b]2017 Mustang GT Premium, convertible, Oxford white, Black cloth top, black leather, Automatic, black out option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Talk to Bama about it ; I'm pretty sure they can give you a tune that will pass and you won't have to switch tunes . . . . assuming you still have the cats, which you must if you passed with stock tune

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have a v6 but have a CAI and tune.. No issues with NYS inspection.

If you have the Bama race tune, as i recall (ive switched to Steeda) they disable the O2 sensors. You might just need their street or perf tune, which leaves the sensors enabled.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

My tune was a Bama tune. I was running the 91p tune, FAILED, switched properly to their 87s tune, FAILED. That's when I resorted to reverting everything to stock, PASSED. Each failure occurred after a proper relearn driving sequince.
Well now that I know what to do I will most likely re-tune to the 91p, I like it.

[b]2017 Mustang GT Premium, convertible, Oxford white, Black cloth top, black leather, Automatic, black out option.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014
PONY Member

I run the BAMA 87S tune and my car passes the NYS Inspection with this tune. The inspection is done by my Ford dealer. I suspect your Mustang has some issues.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014
Apprentice

I've run everything from cai, LTH''s, high flow cats and supercharger and never had an issue with nys inspection. If you were able to reset then your components should be good. Tune must be the issue. I use Lund, give them a call if Bama doesn't take care of you. You can data log and send them a file and they will update according
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain505 View Post
My 2012 GT failed inspection due to catalyst and o2 monitor readiness faults. The solution to this was a bit of a PITA but not bad as it only took 30 minutes to do. It was necessary to reinstall the factory air intake and return the car to stock tune, then a mixed bag of driving for about 75 miles and all was well, inspection passed no problem.
Now my personal issue is, is this process repeatable, can I re-tune the car for the year and return AGAIN to stock with no problems?? Should I leave well enough alone and put the CAI and tuner on ebay?
Or maybe I should just move out of NYS. (LOL, not a real option right now)
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties experienced when trying to pass your states inspection. The tunes do often times change the air to fuel ratios and depending on how sensitive the states computer is, sometimes they don't pass right away because of these minor changes. This can vary from different cars, state testing computers, and fuel quality, however as long as you don't have a light on, the car should be mechanically fine.

The good news is that you can go back and forth from our Bama tunes to the stock tune as many times as you want. Next time maybe try a different testing location if possible or different gas station. Also, if need be we would be more than happy to write a new tune if that will help you pass as well.

I hope this information helps, and if you have any further questions or concerns feel free to get back in touch with the Bama team or myself at any point.

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties experienced when trying to pass your states inspection. The tunes do often times change the air to fuel ratios and depending on how sensitive the states computer is, sometimes they don't pass right away because of these minor changes. This can vary from different cars, state testing computers, and fuel quality, however as long as you don't have a light on, the car should be mechanically fine.

The good news is that you can go back and forth from our Bama tunes to the stock tune as many times as you want. Next time maybe try a different testing location if possible or different gas station. Also, if need be we would be more than happy to write a new tune if that will help you pass as well.

I hope this information helps, and if you have any further questions or concerns feel free to get back in touch with the Bama team or myself at any point.

-Dan
There you go, AM on the job!
Dan, nys only does obd plug in check to see if it is in "ready mode" so I would think a cel must have activated if there was a issue. Just one question for you or your bama guys, if a cel does come on and if is corrected, "cleared" and then an appropriate tune then loaded would you in fact have to go through the whole "driving sequence"? Be it back to stock or modified. I would think the reprogramming of the computer would put it in "ready". Just a thought, thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb3492 View Post
There you go, AM on the job!
Dan, nys only does obd plug in check to see if it is in "ready mode" so I would think a cel must have activated if there was a issue. Just one question for you or your bama guys, if a cel does come on and if is corrected, "cleared" and then an appropriate tune then loaded would you in fact have to go through the whole "driving sequence"? Be it back to stock or modified. I would think the reprogramming of the computer would put it in "ready". Just a thought, thanks
Hey,

Thank you for the insight on the matter, I would think the same given that piece of information. Even a dead battery or something like that would send it into "not ready" mode until the car goes through its drive cycle.

Whenever the computer is tampered with, the car goes into "not ready" mode. So regardless of the tune being stock or aftermarket, the car will need to go through its drive cycles to pass any kind of inspection test.

I hope this was in the information you were looking for, and if I can provide any further assistance please let me know.

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Dan,
Thanks for your interest in my issue. Mine was a matter of readiness codes not resetting until I reverted to stock intake and tune, (no big deal). Its good to know I can go back and forth between stock and performance without issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page