When you tune your car what your actually changing. An inside look. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
Great post.

Can you comment specific to Coyote tuning - from what I've heard there is little to nothing to be gained by altering AF ratio or ignition timing, that most of the gains from a Coyote tune come from either the TiVCT timing or getting rid of the torque management.
Good points. It's been quite a while, but if memory serves when I had my car tuned at AED I think Shaun told me he uses the stock timing tables and did say that most of the changes he makes, at least at the time, were in the cam timing. Later we had a major issue with tuning by mail for the Steeda CAI. At certain loads and RPM, like when merging onto a highway with traffic rapidly approaching from behind, the PCM would throw a wrench light and go into limp mode (I hate when THAT happens). He attributed it to an SCT HEX error which I really didn't understand then and don't now but at least I know HEX is something. Six months later this HEX error was rectified.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3ap3r911 View Post
Is there a way to put back the ford counter to whatever it came from the factory so they cant see it has been tuned?
Supposedly, DiabloSport has figured this out. They claim the Ford can not detect their tune once you put it back to stock.

They claim....

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thumbs up

Awesome thread. Getting a tuner is one of my next mods, and this info has been a great help!

PRO AUDENTIUS -- GO BOLDLY

2012 GT Coupe Premium (400A, 401A), Performance White, Black Leather Seats w/Grabber Blue Striping; Brembo; Comfort/Cold Weather; Electronics/Nav w/Integrated Reverse Cam; HID Headlamps & Security; 3.73 Differential; Dealer-Installed California Special Grille and Lower Fascia w/Driving Lights; Ford Motorsport 5300P Coil Springs; Koni Sport Adjustable Struts/Shocks; TSW 19X9.5 Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal Wheels

PONY Member

Garage
I am interested in the Ford Racing tune that supposedly does not affect your warranty if you have your dealer do it. I understand this is a milder tune than some of the others available, but that's more or less what I'm after, since my car is a DD.

One subject I've not seen addressed is the effect on fuel mileage of these tunes. I suspect mileage is reduced but not sure.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacerX View Post
Awesome thread. Getting a tuner is one of my next mods, and this info has been a great help!
Its one of the best mods u can do! PM me if you need any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
I am interested in the Ford Racing tune that supposedly does not affect your warranty if you have your dealer do it. I understand this is a milder tune than some of the others available, but that's more or less what I'm after, since my car is a DD.

One subject I've not seen addressed is the effect on fuel mileage of these tunes. I suspect mileage is reduced but not sure.
The FRPP tune is very very much more milder, and leaves a lot to be desired.

Fuel mileage all depends on how you drive it.

-Matt

I'm not a "tuner", I am a ecu software engineer. Its different.

2011 GT500 = It gets me from A to B

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way
Apprentice

Garage
Great post!

2012 Mustang GT Kona Blue - Corsa exhaust, Bama tuning

Gone, but not forgotten
1969 Mustang Coupe 302
Rookie

Great info, was good to read since I am looking into tuners right now.
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroAviation View Post
Its one of the best mods u can do! PM me if you need any help!

The FRPP tune is very very much more milder, and leaves a lot to be desired.

Fuel mileage all depends on how you drive it.

-Matt
For a daily driver is there a brand tuner that you feel is the best?
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by candersen View Post
For a daily driver is there a brand tuner that you feel is the best?
SCT is of course one of the better pieces of Hardware.

I cant advertise for myself here, so if I had to recommend someone else it would be Lund II. Tell him Matt sent u

-Matt

I'm not a "tuner", I am a ecu software engineer. Its different.

2011 GT500 = It gets me from A to B

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way
Apprentice

Garage
Have a cai and muffler deletes, my car is my daily drive and has never seen the track. The thread got me curious on the tune. Bought an sct x4 tuner. Called sct and they informed me that i dont need a custom tune with my set up. Shall i buy and tune from lund, bama etc just to really find out what the tuner can do?

2016 Mustang GT Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Roush Axleback, Ford Racing X Pipe, VOGTLAND SPORT 1.3"drop. Ford Performance Short Shifter, Steeda Cold Air Intake, Steeda Tune. 305/30/20 265/35/20 Nitto NT555 G2
2014 Mustang GT
K&N CAI, BAMA TUNE, Barton Short shifter & Bracket, Roush Axleback, Roush Front chin, Side splitters, Rear splitters. Ford Racing Springs. PP 19x10 rear 305/30/19 PP 19x8.5 255/35/19 ----SOLD----
Rookie

Great post and a big help to those of us looking at tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page