Oracle Halo lights - plasma - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oracle Halo Fog Lights - Could this work on Boss Deletes?

Anyone has any experience with Oracle's halo line, whether it's the CCFL, SMD , or the Plasmas? The installation process looks like a pain but the brightness of these lights and the size of the rings looks so much better than the Raxioms that are being sold at American Muscle.

I have a 2013 GT convertible. I really love the Oracle halo rings for the fog lights, just like the ones the Mustang had in the recent "Need for Speed" movie. Rather than opening up the light housing, what are your thoughts on removing the fog lights all together and installing the halos on some boss deletes? Or perhaps install it around the fog lights housing and keep the opening like the "Need for Speed" Mustang (see attached pic)?

My concerns are… do the halos get hot over use? Would it melt the plastics that are nearby? How would they fare against the outside elements?

I guess I'm hoping to find an alternative way of installing these without having to remove the headlight lens from the housing. That way if the halos don't work out, I can also reinstall the original fog lights.

-- Min

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford-mustang-from-need-for-speed-movie-serves-as-nascar-pace-car_100445789_l.jpg
Views:	4618
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	343025  

Last edited by minja; 05-04-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

BTW, the plasmas seem to be the way to go -- offering the single, continuous glow of the ring like CCFLs and the brightness of the SMDs. Oracle has the plasma Halos for the 2013-14 GT fog lights but not for the headlights (yet). Here are two links to the halos on headlights and fog lights:

Halo headlights

Halo fog lights

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by minja View Post
BTW, the plasmas seem to be the way to go -- offering the single, continuous glow of the ring like CCFLs and the brightness of the SMDs. Oracle has the plasma Halos for the 2013-14 GT fog lights but not for the headlights (yet). Here are two links to the halos on headlights and fog lights:

Halo headlights

Halo fog lights
The plasmas are nice but the LEDs aren't that noticeable.
You also get multiple colors with the LEDs, switch it for street legal, then switch to a red or a blue for fun.

Plasmas are single colors.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had a set of Oracle halos on my 300CSRT8 before I had my Mustang. I'll tell you this, they use a separate ballast inverter for the rings that melted and burned out CONSTANTLY. I kid you not, I replaced that thing at least every 6 months. This was 3 years ago so I don't know if they've changed their tech, but be warned, check to see if they still use plastic ballast bricks.

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush • 79mm Pulley • ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake • GT500 Axlebacks • UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs • Koni STR.Ts • 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s • 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015
PONY Member
S197 Member

I looked at trying to do this before buying my raxiom smoked halo foglight housings. I spoke with a few people at Oracle directly about a year and a half ago, and they said the rings probably would not hold up to the elements, and should be mounted inside a housing of some sort. I decided to just go with the raxiom's for ease of install. I'm not afraid of engineering up a way to mount them, my problem was I just couldn't come up with a good way to do it. The raxiom's really aren't all that bad, but admittedly aren't nearly as bright as the plasma's would be.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
Rookie

so I'm trying to find some oracle 2014 plasma halo rings but i cant find any..i really need some help
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I got mine from NFC Performance:

http://www.nfcperformance.com/ford-m...alo-headlights

I don't know if they're worth the trouble. They look awesome, but they're not reliable. One light went out after about 8 months of having it installed. I had to take off the bumper again to remove the resistor and mail it in. Of course I had to reinstall the bumper so I can drive my car while I waited for them to get back to me. They mailed back a replacement in about 3 weeks. During the wait time, I ordered a new resistor from ebay so I could have an extra one in hand since I read in the forums that the Oracles are known to go out every year or less. Installed the new resistor but almost a year later, the OTHER light went out. This time I was able to install the new resistor I bought on ebay while I sent off the non-working resistor to Oracle for a swap. Unfortunately, Oracle claim the resistor was working just fine for them, so declined the warranty request. After I paid for the return postage and got my non-working resistor back, another light went out a week or two later (I gave up on Oracle from their lack of support). Because of the Oracle lights, I took my bumper off/on so many times. I don't know if the lights are worth the trouble.

If the issues with the resistors aren't enough, I also noticed on the halo ring itself, one part of the light doesn't shine anymore. It's like one of the little "bulbs" went out permanently. I wonder if the resistors were working properly, other bulbs would start going out as well.

If you do purchase the lights, you might want to purchase an extra resistor in the event one of the resistors go out -- just so you have a back-up.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Man... Sorry to hear this. That look is hot, but like I said not worth the trouble AT ALL. I'd go with tricked out LEDs before I ever mess with plasma or CCFL lighting again.

NoVA just means Northern Virginia
VMP Tuned Roush • 79mm Pulley • ID1000 injectors & JLT Intake • GT500 Axlebacks • UMI Panhard Bar, LCAs, & UCAs
Steeda Ultralite Springs • Koni STR.Ts • 19x11 Gloss Gunmetal Forgestar CF10s • 2012 GT Premium 401A Black&Brick
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015
Apprentice

I'm looking into the same thing myself.

Fogs are gone, and I just want some halos in their place. No one seems to claim actual weather proof halos, but guys in this thread seem to be having good luck with cheapo ebay halos.

Fog Light Grille Oracles - Mustang Evolution

For the price it's worth a try.
PONY Member

Garage
I have the Oracle Plasma halos in my fogs. The worst part of the install of course was baking apart the fogs. Resealed them with black silicone and have no moisture problems. I've had them about a year so far with no issues, knock on wood. They are very bright and in my opinion look much nicer than the Raxiom ones (these are a full circle, I'm pretty sure the Raxioms have the empty spot on one end because they are CCFL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page