Ford Racing ProCal Tuner - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Tribefan
Regardless of what the Track Key ends up providing in terms of power improvements, is it covered by any kind of warranty once installed or does the Track Key complete void your power train warranty like a non-FRPP tuner?

2014 DIB Track Pack GT
GT500 Axle Back
MGW Race-Spec shifter
2011 SVTPP wheels w/ 275/40ZR19 & 295/35ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Roush front splitter, 3D Carbon GT500 spoiler, RTR rear decklid panel
SR Performance 1.5" Lowering Springs, Oil Separator & Steel Braided Clutch Line
Stock Dyno Results: 375 HP, 361 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribefan View Post
Regardless of what the Track Key ends up providing in terms of power improvements, is it covered by any kind of warranty once installed or does the Track Key complete void your power train warranty like a non-FRPP tuner?
As long as you have an Authorized Ford Dealer install the Software, which in the case of the Late (After July1st 2013 Build date) 2014-MY Stangs. (And the car MUST be a 3 Pedal) The ONLY way to enable the 2 Key Track-Key through the "Dual Path" Gauge Cluster, is to Actually have the Dealer Enable the Feature VIA the Dealers IDS Toolbox, because its not like just programing the "My-Key" Option....

In the case of Either the 2013-MY, and Early Build (Before 7-1-13) 2014-MY's since you are getting just basically a "Tune" that is delivered VIA the Pro-Cal II Device. theoretically You yourself can install it yourself.....

But, in BOTH cases, in order to be eligible for the Ford Racing 3 Year 36,000 Mile Warranty, One MUST have the Dealer perform the Install, as this IS the Only way to be covered under the FRPP Warranty.....So in essence, if your Motor Pops with the Track-Key, The Regular Ford Warranty Is Null and Void, and the FRPP Warranty goes into effect, as FRPP will be "On the Hook" for the new engine and labor...

At that point (if MY Coyote Popped) I would just pay the extra 2 Grand to have them send a "Aluminator 5.0" to the dealer for the replacement!

Sean.

Apprentice

Sean, thank you for all of that info. I went from not being interested in TackKey initially when I found out it was coming to the GT, to now being totally interested, largely based on your posts in this thread. If it really does end up being the basic equivalent of the Procal tune plus the lopey idle launch control, I'm going to have to do it! Looks like I need to come up with an extra $500-ish.

Just out of curiosity, will the GT Track Keys be visually different in any way from the standard keys? The Boss ones were red, weren't they?

2014 DIB Track Pack GT
GT500 Axle Back
MGW Race-Spec shifter

Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribefan View Post
Sean, thank you for all of that info. I went from not being interested in TackKey initially when I found out it was coming to the GT, to now being totally Interested.

Just out of curiosity, will the GT Track Keys be visually different in any way from the standard keys? The Boss ones were red, weren't they?
No, the Only thing that FRPP is going to Send You is a Voucher with a Code, and the Dealer can either use one of your Original Keys programed to act as the Track Key...

Or you can pay for a 3rd Admin key in order to be Programed....But a "Little Birdie" hinted that they do have a Boatload of Boss "Red" Track Keys leftover, that they most likely will offer to GT owners to be reprogramed for a premium price.....

Sean.
Sean Reilly

It has also been "Hinted" that the reason for the delay.......Is that FRPP Engineering is trying to work on getting the Different for '13-'14 ABS Track Apps Module to accept some sort of Front Brake "Line-Lock"......Now if they can make that work! That would REALLY be cool!....But I think that they might be having issues as far as that is concerned....

Sean.
Apprentice

Line lock? That would be sweet as heck! It's good to see the folks at Ford have really gotten in touch with the things that would make Mustang owners ecstatic.

2014 DIB Track Pack GT
GT500 Axle Back
MGW Race-Spec shifter
Sean Reilly

Dont forget, the S550 GT with the "Performance Pack" (which is what is replacing the current Track Pack GT's) Will Indeed have a Full Fledged Line Lock!.....

Imagine how many Tires Ford is gona be a Selling!!...Man, they have this All Worked Out!....."Hiya People! Mike Rowe Here!...We want to make sure that you Ford Mustang Peeps have a chance for some Great Savings on all the Choice High Performance Rubber for your State of the Art Stangs!"

Sean.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
Hey Ken, the reference to the "I will NOT allow this Thread to turn into a Who's Aftermarket Tune is the Best?!".......

And it was in NOT My intention to make You, or anybody else for that matter, think that I Was refering to to any particular Member that has Posted (As of yet)...
Ken my man, I know that you are running a FRPP Tune, and you seem to be pleased with its overall characteristics....
My intention was to let others (And believe Me there are Plenty!!) that come across THIS Thread, to not bother "Chiming In" with the 'Ol
"Dont even bother with the Tune from Ford Racing! As its a waste of $$ compared to (Fill In the Blank) Tunes!"

Then what winds up happening??.....You then get 5 different Members with 5 Different Tunes, arguing amongst THEMSELVES as to which has the Better+Faster Tune!!.....And then it ALWAYS winds up going in a Direction that never ends well!...And after all of that, nobody is even talking about the Procal II anymore!
Thats why I took the proactive Stand that I did.....I did Not mean to offend anybody here...It was for the potential Troller that just Hates the FRPP Tune, and more than 80% of the Time, that particular Member/Guest has NEVER even used or driven in a Stang. that has the Tune installed in the First Place!!

Sean.
Gotcha, message received. I do want to see how tk works and will expect Ford to do a better job than they did with the Boss.

I don't pretend my results with pc2 are typical but, I am super happy, obviously.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
Dont forget, the S550 GT with the "Performance Pack" (which is what is replacing the current Track Pack GT's) Will Indeed have a Full Fledged Line Lock!.....

Imagine how many Tires Ford is gona be a Selling!!...Man, they have this All Worked Out!....."Hiya People! Mike Rowe Here!...We want to make sure that you Ford Mustang Peeps have a chance for some Great Savings on all the Choice High Performance Rubber for your State of the Art Stangs!"

Sean.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of line lock. I think it is a stupid gimmicky feature that only has 3 purposes:

1. Look like a jackass
2. Break something/void your warranty
3. Waste $$$ on expensive rubber
4. Look like a jackass

Sorry, that's 4 purposes

I'd prefer if Ford actually spent money on a feature that had a performance-boosting effect. Oh well, that's a bit off topic from the ProCal discussion. Regarding that, as one of the first customers for FRPP's tune, I look forward to them handling the ping issue a bit better. As someone who had the ping, I want a bit more support from them in fixing it rather than telling me it is there "by design".....not too comforting!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Sean Reilly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Honestly, I'm not a fan of line lock. I think it is a stupid gimmicky feature that only has 3 purposes:

1. Look like a jackass
2. Break something/void your warranty
3. Waste $$$ on expensive rubber
4. Look like a jackass

Sorry, that's 4 purposes

I'd prefer if Ford actually spent money on a feature that had a performance-boosting effect. Oh well, that's a bit off topic from the ProCal discussion. Regarding that, as one of the first customers for FRPP's tune, I look forward to them handling the ping issue a bit better. As someone who had the ping, I want a bit more support from them in fixing it rather than telling me it is there "by design".....not too comforting!
I have to Agree with all of the Above (As far as any Line Lock feature!).....

As far as the "Ping" that at least 1/3 of FRPP users are experiencing with the Procal II Tune, I cant seem to get my Coyote to Ping (I was forced to use 91 Octane last fall, But I was on dead E and forced to put in a few gallons.) And even with mine set to "N" (For 93 Octane" And I went out of my way to try and get my Bulket to throw me a Can of marbles under heavy load, to NO AVAIL!!.....I just cant understand why some experience the infamous "Ping", and I couldn't get it to it to do it at all! Not even a Tiny Click could I get out of her.....

Do you get it even with it set to "Y"??.....When did you get the Tune from FRPP?.....

As I know for a Fact the ones that they Wrote in the past 6 Months seem to be MUCH improved over the previous Tunes......,I would see if they cant Send you a new MMC card to load into your Procal II...as those guys over at FRPP are a bunch of great Peeps!

I mean heck, I bought a Brand New "Unopened" Procal II from a Member here at AFM last year, but being that My GT has the Track-Pack Option, the Tune that came with his was not compatible with the TP's Strategy (And Yes there are differences between the TP's Tune vs the Non TP Strategies!) And those guys were more then happy to send me the Right Card, as long as I sent them back the Original MMC that came with the one I bought ......Hey cababah, when did you purchase your Procal II??.....And was your PCM updated to the latest "Firmware" from your Dealer? As THIS can make a huge difference....

Sean
GT Member

I can get it occasionally on 91 octane (more often on winter gas), particularly around 4k Ti-VCT transition, under heavy load or right at shifting. It is light and momentary. Good gas and an occasional profile relearn that takes about 30 seconds with the tuner keeps it down.

line lock is fricking awesome. Not having to so the 3 legged race solo at the track on my stick mustang would help alot. It's not hard but, it's one more thing I need to get right for a successful pass. Tough noogies for me, anyway, I have a 2012.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question

So I ended up buying the Ford Racing Power Pack from American Muscle. This package includes the ProCal tune, K&N air filter, FRPP oil filter and GT500 mufflers. Ford Racing shipped the ProCal tuner next day air after I submitted the online information yesterday. I also got a 'brand new' ProCal unit, rather than used, simply by calling them. My dealer agreed to load the tune and install the mufflers for one hour of labor. With the weekend coming up, I may install the mufflers myself, unless they can get me in tomorrow.

I do have a question about the SD card that has the tune loaded. When loaded in my laptop PC, the card appears to be formatted but empty. A quick search on this site identified one ProCal user who said that is normal, and that the card does in fact have data on it. Another user said to make sure to copy the data from the SD card before using the ProCal tuner. So, not wanting to waste a trip to the dealer, do any of you ProCal users know if this "empty" SD card does in fact have my tune on it? Thanks!

2014 Mustang GT California Special/Deep Impact Blue/ 6-Speed Manual/3:73/Ordered 10-5-2013/Built 10-28-2013/Delivered 11-7-2013
Ford Racing ProCal Tune/K&N FRPP Air Filter/GT500 MGTCA1 Mufflers/JLT Oil Separator/Sound Tube Delete/BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 275/40/19's (all 4 corners on stock 8 1/2" rims)
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Garage
The card does have the tune files

The card does have the tune files on it but they are encrypted and hidden. You will need special software to see the contents of the SD card.
if you have a windows PC you can tell the size of the files/directories by right clicking on the SD drive and selecting "properties". The difference between the card capacity and the available space will tell you the size of the contents.
I guess the contents can be copied but it is probably not as simple as just copying from one SD card to another. Ford is pretty good at protecting their software.

2012 GT Prem. Black, 6MT82, Brembo Package, Rear Sensing Security Package, Appearance Package #5 ,3.73 LS Axle, GT500 Axle Backs, MGW Shifter, FRPP Tune.
Apprentice

I just posted kinda on this subject under "The Clunk.........I had". You should read it.
As I'm reading the other posters replies to your questions I want to point out my experience with the Pro Cal tuner. Once removed I noticed better throttle response. My Son told me that the benefit with the tune is only about 3-4 hp and 8-9 pound feet of torque. You could feel the torgue at low end with the tune.
Now regarding a new tune. I have in the past gone with a custom tune from RET on my '06 Supercharged Saleen. Greg does a good job and will get it right if there is a problem free of charge.
My Son has done significant research on canned tunes. He is now convinced that AED is the one. He has emailed Sean ........in Shingle Springs CA who has responded quickly every time. A bit cheaper than the custom tune.
Oh yes, and the clunk. If you get a Pro Cal I can't say you'll get the clunk. I did.
I've heard but can't verify that the Pro Cal can reduce your engine warranty. Look into that. I'm not sure if your computer will tell the dealer that you have uploaded a tune even if you remove it from the car when taken to the dealer.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
I just posted kinda on this subject under "The Clunk.........I had". You should read it.
As I'm reading the other posters replies to your questions I want to point out my experience with the Pro Cal tuner. Once removed I noticed better throttle response. My Son told me that the benefit with the tune is only about 3-4 hp and 8-9 pound feet of torque. You could feel the torgue at low end with the tune.
Now regarding a new tune. I have in the past gone with a custom tune from RET on my '06 Supercharged Saleen. Greg does a good job and will get it right if there is a problem free of charge.
My Son has done significant research on canned tunes. He is now convinced that AED is the one. He has emailed Sean ........in Shingle Springs CA who has responded quickly every time. A bit cheaper than the custom tune.

Oh yes, and the clunk. If you get a Pro Cal I can't say you'll get the clunk. I did.
I've heard but can't verify that the Pro Cal can reduce your engine warranty. Look into that. I'm not sure if your computer will tell the dealer that you have uploaded a tune even if you remove it from the car when taken to the dealer.
I've read your 'clunking' thread, and the symptoms you describe could be related to tuning. My previous Mustang, a 2009 Bullitt, would occasionally 'buck' in 1st gear, usually after the initial start of the day, or when the engine had cooled for several hours. Shifting immediately into 2nd always resolved the problem, but if left in 1st, it would definitely 'buck' enough to cause drivetrain 'clunk.' It always resolved itself soon after the engine warmed up to normal operating temperature. So, just a thought...

As for the ProCal tune, it doesn't void the warranty if loaded by a Ford/Lincoln dealer. So, Ford will definitely have a record of the tune! A more sensitive throttle response with the ProCal tune might cause a similar condition as I experienced with the 2009 Bullitt. If so, hopefully it resolves itself as the engine warms up, and can be minimized by using 2nd gear under those conditions. I do think the issue was more pronounced with my Bullitt's 3:73 rear axle ratio, the same as my 2014 GT/CS. I got my ProCal tuner Friday afternoon, and with the holiday, haven't been to the dealer yet. But we shall soon find out how it affects drivability in my new Mustang...

2014 Mustang GT California Special/Deep Impact Blue/ 6-Speed Manual/3:73/Ordered 10-5-2013/Built 10-28-2013/Delivered 11-7-2013
Ford Racing ProCal Tune/K&N FRPP Air Filter/GT500 MGTCA1 Mufflers/JLT Oil Separator/Sound Tube Delete/BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 275/40/19's (all 4 corners on stock 8 1/2" rims)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page