Ford Racing ProCal Tuner - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ford Racing ProCal Tuner

Is anyone here using Ford Racing's ProCal Tuner? I'm planning to purchase an aftermarket tune, primarily to improve throttle response. I'm considering the Bama and Steeda tunes as well, but I'd prefer a Ford Racing setup. If you're using the ProCal unit, please elaborate on your observations and experience. I'm also considering the GT Track key, but that doesn't seem conducive to daily driving. Thanks!

2014 Mustang GT California Special/Deep Impact Blue/ 6-Speed Manual/3:73/Ordered 10-5-2013/Built 10-28-2013/Delivered 11-7-2013
Ford Racing ProCal Tune/K&N FRPP Air Filter/GT500 MGTCA1 Mufflers/JLT Oil Separator/Sound Tube Delete/BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 275/40/19's (all 4 corners on stock 8 1/2" rims)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014
PONY Member

Garage
Ford Racing ProCal Tuner

From what I've read, I'd go with one of your other choices over the pro cal. Many people said they had a pinging issue and others said it didn't really do anything seat of the pants. I previously had a steeda tune on my auto and I was very happy with it; it ran really strong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014
GT Member

Tuner

The fact that the Pro-Cal can not even clear DTC codes or read them for that matter and the SCTX4 has data logging and so many more features the Pro-Cal is basically a antiquated device. The Tunes from Brenspeed, Bama, and Steeda are solid Tunes and each company has years of experience on the street and track.
I know you wanted someone to chime in who has the Pro-Cal but most of them have ditched them because for the money you get so much more from SCT and Diablo, plus those devices are supported by the best in the business. If the Pro-Cal was everything the SCT or Diablo is then believe me I would have gone with this FRPP part. But the Tunes from this source have had problems and customer service is ok, nothing stellar, as I have a friend who went this route, and he is now a Brenspeed customer with the SCTX3 device.

T Wayne

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014
Apprentice

As others have said here, the Pro-Cal leaves a lot to be desired. In my personal opinion, the ProCal is a little dangerous in some aspects, especially with how it handles initial calculation of spark.

The two dealers you have there are both really good tuners. I would found a used SCT X3 and grab some tunes from a dealer.

-Matt

I'm not a "tuner", I am a ecu software engineer. Its different.

2011 GT500 = It gets me from A to B

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014
Apprentice

I love the pro-cal tune. I can leave stripes where as before I could not. It also eliminated rev-hang while improving throttle response. Plus it was cheap. Something like $280 total.

2012 Black GT. Manual with no options. Mods: FRPP Tune, JLT Oil Separator.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyblue View Post
I can leave stripes where as before I could not. .
Really?

In a GT?

In what situations did you have trouble laying stripes that the ProCal then allowed you to?

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks everyone, for your replies. I'm still on the fence, having read a lot of pros/cons on all of the tuners. My primary objective is to eliminate the annoying hesitation at low RPM's when pushing the 'go pedal.' This is particularly annoying in everyday commuter traffic. One other factor that I want to consider is the tune's ability to adapt to various altitudes. Several guys on the IMBOC (Bullitt) forum have to return to stock tunes when traveling to Colorado or other mountainous areas. Most of them have Brenspeed tunes. I drive my car everyday and everywhere, because I enjoy it, so it's important to me to have a fairly versatile tune.

2014 Mustang GT California Special/Deep Impact Blue/ 6-Speed Manual/3:73/Ordered 10-5-2013/Built 10-28-2013/Delivered 11-7-2013
Ford Racing ProCal Tune/K&N FRPP Air Filter/GT500 MGTCA1 Mufflers/JLT Oil Separator/Sound Tube Delete/BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 275/40/19's (all 4 corners on stock 8 1/2" rims)
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014
Apprentice

Mile high altitude. It robs horsepower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
Really?

In a GT?

In what situations did you have trouble laying stripes that the ProCal then allowed you to?

2012 Black GT. Manual with no options. Mods: FRPP Tune, JLT Oil Separator.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014
GT Member

Um, Procal can read and clear DTCs. Hell, if you have tech, you can read and clear DTCs from your dashboard.

My results on Procal only are in my sig. It will do what you want, give better throttle response, less rev hang and in my case totally woke the car up, to the point I'm handing their ass to people on aftermarket 93R tunes at the track, on 91 octane fuel.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyblue View Post
I love the pro-cal tune. I can leave stripes where as before I could not. It also eliminated rev-hang while improving throttle response. Plus it was cheap. Something like $280 total.
Thanks, speedyblue -- I see that you're in Colorado. I'm guessing that the ProCal tune parameters are identical, whether sent to Colorado or Georgia. So that addresses one of my objectives -- versatile enough to use at different altitudes. Unless, of course, Ford Racing writes tunes for specific regions of the country...

GT Member

Part#

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Um, Procal can read and clear DTCs. Hell, if you have tech, you can read and clear DTCs from your dashboard.

My results on Procal only are in my sig. It will do what you want, give better throttle response, less rev hang and in my case totally woke the car up, to the point I'm handing their ass to people on aftermarket 93R tunes at the track, on 91 octane fuel.
I was not trying to miss lead anyone I was referring to Part# CM-12655-A100.
Yes the Pro-Cal the Blue one has the function of DTC.

T Wayne
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Iv been running the procal in my 2014 for about 5-6 months now, and have not had any issues at all with it so far. My car is capable of running mid 12's here in Vegas on street tires with the procal and exhaust, minus long tubes. So for now, to maintain my warranty, the procal is doing the job for me. Also have not had any pinging like others have had previously.

2004Mustang GT
260 rwhp // 302 rwtq
1/4 : 13.69 @ 100.27 mph
1/4 is on Drag Dadials -- No Traction
Las Vegas Motor Speedway Drag Strip @1,900 Ft 90*
(Traded in for 2014)
Gone but not forgotten
2014 Oxford White 5.0 / Track Pack & Recaro's

GT Member

Well, no one has used that PC in years and certainly not in this application.

Ford Racing does have tunes for your VIN. The tune is canned but, it will be somewhat specific to your car, region and VIN #. This doesn't mean it's custom or anything, it just needs to speak the same language as your PCM does and that will vary depending on where you live.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Rookie

I'm loving my Procal Tune! I intend to keep the warranty for the full 36k so this setup was the way to go for me. The increase throttle response, adjusted torque management, throttle hang and increased low end were enough to justify the purchase for me. My lady is running like she should have from factory now. I'm happy with the results. So far, I have not had any pinging issues. I only run Sunoco 93 and she's kiss the red line multiple times. Great choice for someone wishing to keep their warranty for a while.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Rookie

No issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper02 View Post
I'm loving my Procal Tune! I intend to keep the warranty for the full 36k so this setup was the way to go for me. The increase throttle response, adjusted torque management, throttle hang and increased low end were enough to justify the purchase for me. My lady is running like she should have from factory now. I'm happy with the results. So far, I have not had any pinging issues. I only run Sunoco 93 and she's kiss the red line multiple times. Great choice for someone wishing to keep their warranty for a while.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
+1 except I am in SoCal and only can use 91 Octane. No issues at all.

Bill'sFive.0 likes this.

2013 CS/GT Sterling Gray, GT500 ABs, no resonators, Ford Racing Performance Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page