Need to replace blend door actuator - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Angry Need to replace blend door actuator

Question is which one? Is there a trick to finding out which actuator is faulty? I can see 2 of the four actuators behind the glove box, and I'm hoping it's one of them. Car is, of course, out of warranty.

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014
Rookie

Im guessing you have the clicking noise that goes with a bad actuator? If so, you wanna change your climate control settings 1 at a time to isolate it. Usually i put the air in vent mode, then i put the temperature from full cold to full hot, if its dual zone, do one at a time. If no noise, then turn the recirc on then off. If still no noise, then cycle through the airflow positions. You should be able to isolate it this way, and i believe all actuators are relatively easy to get to.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014
PONY Member

The BLEND door actuator, being precise, is the actuator which mixes the air when you go from cold to hot. That's the blend door. However, many people use this term to refer to any of the actuators under the dash.

As he said, move one control at a ttime until you isolate the problem. Aim a flashlight at each one and you should be able to see which one is associated with each action in very short order.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ok, found the bad actuator that was making all that racket. Turned out to be the defrost module which is located just to the left of the one directly behind the glove box opening and easy to get to. Ordered a new one from Rock Auto with a 3 year warranty for 13 bucks shipped. My local Ford dealership wanted 50 bucks for the same part! Thank you to: tntoy, preciousroy and especially sloppymax for pointing me in the right direction.

'11 GT Premium , kona blue stick, 3:55's, Brembo , Roush axle-backs, etc. + '95 rio red GTS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014
PONY Member

The one behind my NAV screen (sounded like it) went out at 13,000 miles and was fixed under warranty. The dealer told me i was lucky since it was really hard to get to and would cost over $1000 to repair.

The tech checking me in said this was a very common issue and 'most' mustangs will experience.

Is this all true or was I fed line of BS?

How hard are they to replace for real? I'd like to know if I can do it myself if another one goes out. 18,000 miles now but out of warranty.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014
Rookie

All the mustang ones are easily doable. Some on other card require dash removal
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousroy View Post
All the mustang ones are easily doable. Some on other card require dash removal
thanks. They told my the dash had to be removed for 1 of them but since under warranty i never checked it out. If this ever comes up again i'll just do myself.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdogsbarkin View Post
Ok, found the bad actuator that was making all that racket. Turned out to be the defrost module which is located just to the left of the one directly behind the glove box opening and easy to get to. Ordered a new one from Rock Auto with a 3 year warranty for 13 bucks shipped. My local Ford dealership wanted 50 bucks for the same part! Thank you to: tntoy, preciousroy and especially sloppymax for pointing me in the right direction.
Hi boys,im Davide from Italy,
excuse me for my english....
I have a 2007 V6 Mustang and
This morning when I turned on the car , I heard the sound that clicks for a few seconds.
The sound can still be heard when I move the airflow selector of from 0 to cabin…

Please,what’s the bad actuator for you?
Must i remove glovebox to check or dash?
Tanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page