TRACK CAL CALIBRATION FOR EARLY 13s REVIEW - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Call Tousley Ford/AutoNation at 1-800-328-9552

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

If you have a 14 and a half you can get the extra key that enables track mode. My brother just got it today (for his 14 gt) upon my recommendation. I have a 13 Boss and like the track key.

post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Just an update. I had my TrackCal installed at a local dealer in the middle of June. A few days ago I got a new sim card from Ford Racing. It had a $0 invoice but no letter or instructions. So I called the tech line. They told me it was a revised tune. I asked what was changed and they said "some code." Duh! I know that. He wouldn't give any other details. Then he told me to intall it myself. So I did. Here's what you do:
1. Hook up a battery charger. The procal will prompt you to do this.
2. Turn off all accesories.
3. Put the original sim card in the ProCal.
4. Hold down enter and plug it in. Clear any codes.
5. Select return to stock tune.
6. Complete the upload, takes a few minutes.
7. Unplug the ProCal when complete.
8. Put new sim in ProCal. Better write a date on them. They look identical.
9. Plug in ProCal while holding down enter.
10. Let it update the ProCal.
11. Turn on the key. Clear any codes.
12. Upload the new tune.

Note that during the upload guage lights will flash and chimes will sound.

Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

califsp,

Any updates since you put the updated tune in? Also, did you see any big drops in MPG since you tuned it? I'm really leaning towards getting the TrackCal (my '14 was built 4-13, otherwise I'd get TrackKey). I don't mind some fuel mileage, but if it's a big drop I probably won't.

Thanks

2014 Mustang GT Black, MT82, Track Pack
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Haven't been able to tell much of a difference. Also, my mpg was 14.5 in town before and is the same now.
Apprentice

I've had my Track Cal installed for a few weeks and that included a long road trip from Windsor to Wasaga Beach to Montreal and back to Windsor (1200+ miles). City mileage is about the same, highway mileage maybe even a tick better. Either way, not a material difference.

There is an impressive difference in pickup on the highway in 6th gear. Worth the $ just for that.

The one downside, after braving multiple epic traffic jams, is that the car is now a bear in bumper to bumper traffic. It bucks like a mule no matter how smoothly I try to get on and off the throttle. Previously, the car actually did pretty well creeping. Luckily I do not encounter much traffic on a day to day basis.

2013 GT 6MT (Black)
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll order mine today.

And Boff, thanks for the info on congested traffic. I have a long freeway commute (for Vegas anyway), and it's bumper to bumper most days on the way home. If I read all the info on the Trac Cal right, if you hold down the Off button on the steering wheel during start-up for 5 seconds, it disables lopey idle. I'll probably just do that for my afternoon commute.

2014 Mustang GT Black, MT82, Track Pack
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfergie View Post
Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll order mine today.

And Boff, thanks for the info on congested traffic. I have a long freeway commute (for Vegas anyway), and it's bumper to bumper most days on the way home. If I read all the info on the Trac Cal right, if you hold down the Off button on the steering wheel during start-up for 5 seconds, it disables lopey idle. I'll probably just do that for my afternoon commute.
I'm not sure if the lopey idle is the issue there, or the enhanced throttle response (both opening and closing). I never did experiment by turning off the lopey idle...I like it too much!

2013 GT 6MT (Black)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilliby View Post
... I called Ford Racing about this tuner, and he said it shortens your powertrain warranty to 3/36 from 5/60. I asked several times, and it was very clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim2013 View Post
... the Track Key/Track Cal tune ... replaces the 5 years / 60,000 miles with the 3 years / 36,000 miles offered by Ford Racing.
Good to know.

Nothing that could even remotely void/reduce my warranty will ever touch my car.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 R/Red 5.0 View Post
Good to know.

Nothing that could even remotely void/reduce my warranty will ever touch my car.
Ford Racing assumes responsibility on any malfunctions caused by the ProCal/TrackCal/TrackKey in the first 3/36 of ownership. If you put it on a car from day one, you get 3/36. If you put it on after you've had the car for a year, you get 24 months and the remainder of the 36k miles. Your Ford powertrain warranty is still in place if anything goes wrong that was NOT caused by the FRPP tool, as long as the tool was installed by an authorized Ford dealer. If after the 3/36, a malfunction happens that is due to the TrackCal, Ford will not cover it. However, if Ford can not prove that the tune caused the failure or malfunction, then they will cover it. You do not lose your warranty, it is only modified in case of an issue caused by the tune.

2014 5.0 Base 6MT Sterling Grey w/ 3.73's - OptiGuarded, FRPP TrackCal Tune, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust with Ford Racing GT500 Axlebacks, Barton 6-Speed White Ball Shift Knob, MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers, MMD Decklid Panel, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Boss 302 Grille w/ Foglights, MGP Caliper Covers, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, JLT Oil Separator, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Roush RTR Rocker Panel Splitters, Tri-bar Wheel Caps, Front Splash Guards, & WeatherTech Laser Cut Floor Liners.
PONY Member

I haven't had to argue a warranty issue before since I've never modified a vehicle's powertrain while still under warranty, but how exactly do they "prove" it was the tune. Sounds like they could just say "our tech looked at it, it was xxx (such as engine stress) and we believe the tune caused it", and you're SOL.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre View Post
I haven't had to argue a warranty issue before since I've never modified a vehicle's powertrain while still under warranty, but how exactly do they "prove" it was the tune. Sounds like they could just say "our tech looked at it, it was xxx (such as engine stress) and we believe the tune caused it", and you're SOL.

The techs computer can show the cause of failure. Case in point, if they see the issue was caused by the car running lean then that could easily be pointed out as part of the tune. It has to be an issue pinpointed by Ford and directly connected to the tune. You don't have to prove it was not caused by the tune, Ford just has to prove that it is.

2014 5.0 Base 6MT Sterling Grey w/ 3.73's - OptiGuarded, FRPP TrackCal Tune, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust with Ford Racing GT500 Axlebacks, Barton 6-Speed White Ball Shift Knob, MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers, MMD Decklid Panel, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Boss 302 Grille w/ Foglights, MGP Caliper Covers, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, JLT Oil Separator, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Roush RTR Rocker Panel Splitters, Tri-bar Wheel Caps, Front Splash Guards, & WeatherTech Laser Cut Floor Liners.
GT Member
5.0L Member

OP or anybody else, how do you still like the tune after a few months? Any issues? Been thinking about getting it for my '13.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I loved the original tune they sent. But that tune was ruining cats. So they sent a revision. I don't like it. Power seems down and the throttle response is back to stock. I would not buy it again.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak196 View Post
OP or anybody else, how do you still like the tune after a few months? Any issues? Been thinking about getting it for my '13.
Oh, yeah...

Love the tune!

Issues? Yup. Still pings a little.

Took it off, flashed back to stock with the latest IDS for the '13 (which was a little 'crisper' BTW) - waited a year or so until the 'new' tune came out - had FRPP 'burn' me the "new" one (without the 'lope' and such).

It's been back on for about 15,000 miles or so (I'm now at about 55,000 total).

It runs like a scalded dog - I just can't be without it! Especially with the low-end improvement, and crisp throttle response. It's very 'linear' now with the throttle curve.

Are there better tunes out there? Probably. But this is the best one for ME - slight 'ping' and all.

I built an oil separator and did everything in my power to get rid of it, but to no avail. Some 'ping,' some don't.

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page