Ford Mustang Forum banner

TRACK CAL CALIBRATION FOR EARLY 13s REVIEW

13K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  2oo5GT 
#1 ·
I purchased the Track Cal because I have an early 2013 GT. Got it from Tousley for $385. You get a certificate and then order the handheld tuner, tune and K&N filter online from Ford Racing. Took it to the dealer this morning. They were easy to work with. They uploaded the tune and didn't charge me. I didn't even buy my car from them! Got a receipt and I'm good warranty wise.

We also adjusted for the tire size using the tuner.

I've only driven the car a couple of times today so I'll make further posts as the PCM finishes learning with the new parameters.

The most noticable thing so far is the lopey idle. I love it! Immediately took me back the way I felt sitting at light, years ago, in my 1970 Boss 302. I've got GT500 quads and it never sounded better.

Next item I noticed was the improved trottle response. I'll never understand why this can't be included in the original calibration.

As I said, I will post some more of my observations over the next few days for those of you who may interested in this for your GT. I'd ask that we don't turn this thread into a debate on other tunes and who's is better. Also, there's no need to go back and forth on the how the warranty works. I called Ford Racing and got the correct information before I made the purchase.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats great news for us 13 and early 14 GT owners. Sounds very positive!

I would like to add one thing, and this isn't a debate. I called Ford Racing about this tuner, and he said it shortens your powertrain warranty to 3/36 from 5/60. I asked several times, and it was very clear.

#39 ·
... I called Ford Racing about this tuner, and he said it shortens your powertrain warranty to 3/36 from 5/60. I asked several times, and it was very clear.
... the Track Key/Track Cal tune ... replaces the 5 years / 60,000 miles with the 3 years / 36,000 miles offered by Ford Racing.
Good to know.

Nothing that could even remotely void/reduce my warranty will ever touch my car.

#7 ·
I was hoping that this thread would not turn into a warranty debate. Here's what the documentation from Ford Racing says,

"Installation of the select Ford Racing-warranted TracKey/Track Cal engine calibrations by an authorized
dealer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty.​
Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not
caused by Ford Racing Performance Parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the

New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

The parts that the Track Cal tune affects are covered by Ford Racing for 36/36,000 from the start of your warranty. So, if you have a an extended warranty everyting else is still covered for the term of that warranty.

This was verified by two calls to Ford Racing. Can we let it go please!

#8 ·
Two observations today. First, I definitely felt the extra torque today as I punched it on the freeway on ramp. Ya! Second, I found out the lopey idle is not on 100% of the time. The lopey idle starts 2 minutes after the engine temp reaches 170 degrees.

#9 ·
Second, I found out the lopey idle is not on 100% of the time. The lopey idle starts 2 minutes after the engine temp reaches 170 degrees.

Yeah, I've seen this before on videos from people with a Boss. After it's at operating temp for about a minute you can blip the throttle and it will start the lopey idle. I can't wait to hear more, as I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want to throw money at this!

#10 ·
I have an extended warranty on my 13. Called FR and asked about warranty concerns should I decide to go with the Track Cal. They told me it was a solid program, and it won't void the warranty. In order for it to be able to void the warranty, there would have to be definitive proof the mod caused the failure, and with just PCM tweaking that would be impossible.

#11 ·
I know the OP doesn't want this to become a warranty discussion (me neither), but this is an incomplete statement.

Correct, the Track Key/Track Cal tune will not void your powertrain warranty. However, it replaces the 5 years / 60,000 miles with the 3 years / 36,000 miles offered by Ford Racing.

See here for additional details:

2013-2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/include/TracKey_Track_Cal_Warranty_Statement_2014v3.pdf

I'm amazed that the FR site claims 60 ft. lbs of torque gain at 1,500 RPM. That's pretty huge! And based on all the reviews I've seen, it's real!

#14 ·
Man I love the launch control feature this has. Watched a YouTube video of it and it looks promising.

#16 ·
So would you say it was well worth the money spent?

#18 ·
I'm really excited for the Trackey on my new 14. The car is already a beast, so I'm good with just a non-tune-required CAI (probably just the Roush intake and filter), Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, and Trackey.

Done.

Then it's all suspension work to put that power down and flatten out the car. I think it'll be perfectly balanced.

#21 ·
OP - how much do you notice the engine braking? That feature seems like a benefit at the track but I wonder about engine life if you use the track key / track cal all the time. Do you notice a big difference when you let off the gas?

#23 ·
I purchased the Track Cal because I have an early 2013 GT. Got it from Tousley for $385. You get a certificate and then order the handheld tuner, tune and K&N filter online from Ford Racing. Took it to the dealer this morning. They were easy to work with. They uploaded the tune and didn't charge me. I didn't even buy my car from them! Got a receipt and I'm good warranty wise.
Do you have contact info to get that price? Also was this the price shipped?

#28 ·
I also have this tune and like it a lot. There has been a lot of discussion about whether it really improves the "top end" performance or not. But I do believe it greatly improves the "low end" performance and the range where most people drive the car on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.