2014 Mustang GT Engine Misfire - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

And so it goes.....

Now I'm told catalytic converter is bad. Just as I suspected after reading manual on misfires. Of course its on backorder, 7-10 days. But hey, they give me a Focus to drive in the mean time, woooohoooo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
The TSB is just a $5 o-ring on the crank position sensor that plugs in to the rear end of the engine block. Its stupid of the dealer to refuse to do it - its 15 minutes of labor for the tech to replace the o-ring and a few more minutes to do a re-learn.
yup, my car was the one used to figure out what was going wrong when they finally sent factory engineers out to look at it because I filed a lemon law claim.. it's amazing what they can figure out when they are faced with the BBB and possibly having to buy a car back.

2018 GT, PP, A10
2016 ScatPack Challenger( sold)
2013 GHIG premium, Auto (gone)
2013 Deep impact blue GT w/Track pack (gone)
2011 Kona Blue GT auto, Saddle interior (gone)
2010 Camaro SS (gone)

When the boogy man goes to bed at night he checks the closet for Chuck Norris
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Lemon Law Claim

Don't think I haven't thought about that myself. But what does it take to do it ? How can a CAT be bad on a brand new car with 3100 miles on it. First the misfire, then 5 days later they tell me the CAT is bad. Then what ?, I love my car, but losing confidence fast.

Apprentice

I had a similar issue with my 2014 GT at around 400 miles. I contacted Deysha first and then took it to the dealer for repair. It needed the o-ring replaced as outlined in the TSB, nearly 1000 miles now and no problems.

2014 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium with nav, RR and comfy packages, 3.73 limited slip axle and optional 19" machined aluminum wheels

Mods: Boss 302 exhaust with QTP electric cutouts, Borla S-type axle backs, BBK Black Out CAI, aluminum Ford Racing coil covers, Steeda short shifter & bracket, Ford Racing Handling Kit, SHR window louvers
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

At first dealer didn't want to do the TSB because " could not duplicate the problem" then told me my VIN did not pull any TSB's on the car. After pushing the SM with post from here, they finally agreed to do the TSB. Car ran fine for 5 days, then CEL light for CAT came on. 2 more days at dealer, then told CAT is bad.
They can't explain why the CAT would be bad with 3100 mi on the car. Now on back order !
PONY Member

When a cylinder misfires, the fuel is not burned and is dumped out the exhaust. Over time this can damage the converter because the fuel is going to burn in the manifold or converter, and the increased temperatures are hard on it. This happens 100% of the time if left unchecked, but I've never heard of it happening anywhere near this quickly. It takes quite a while to slag the converter in an older car badly enough to throw a P0420 or P0430 trouble code.

But misfires and converters are related.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntoy View Post
When a cylinder misfires, the fuel is not burned and is dumped out the exhaust. Over time this can damage the converter because the fuel is going to burn in the manifold or converter, and the increased temperatures are hard on it. This happens 100% of the time if left unchecked, but I've never heard of it happening anywhere near this quickly. It takes quite a while to slag the converter in an older car badly enough to throw a P0420 or P0430 trouble code.

But misfires and converters are related.
And it does state in the manual that driving with misfire condition can cause damage to CAT. In my case I drove the car all of about 3 miles with the misfire going on, but still had enough power after I got home to get it on the flatbed to haul to dealer. And it was giving off a strange smell which was probably from what you explained. Dealer drove it next day and said it wasn't throwing ANY codes, no exhaust smell, but showed history of misfire occurrence ? One week now and still waiting for the backordered converter.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Just for your information,Auto Nation FORD of White Bear Lake Minnesota,HAS BOTH YOUR COVERTERS IN STOCK this might help you out!!!!!!!!!!
1-800-328-9552.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Just for your information,Auto Nation FORD of White Bear Lake Minnesota,HAS BOTH YOUR COVERTERS IN STOCK this might help you out!!!!!!!!!!
1-800-328-9552.
Thank you for your help ! Just called them and they do not have in stock. They also show on backorder
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleyd View Post
Thank you for your help ! Just called them and they do not have in stock. They also show on backorder
Sorry, for that they NEED to update there web in the cart site,I will keep looking for you.
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have had the lurching at cold start since day one. I figured it was just the nature of the beast. I warms up quick so I just deal with it. Maybe next time I am in for service I'll check on the TSB.

Does anyone know what VIN number range is included in the TSB? My car was built in early Feb 2014.

1965 Poppy Red Mustang Convertible: with stock 95 GT 5.0 EFI engine and various other modern upgrades
2014 Mustang GT: unmodified at this point
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dealer now tells me CAT is back ordered until some time in Sept. Nice, as my car sits on their lot for over a month for one damn part !!
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

ATTN: Desha
Have sent you a couple PM's but unable to determine if you received them. My PM "sent" folder doesn't show anything ? I tried being patient once and I didn't like it
Rookie

Angry

I'm having problems...again..with my 2014 Mustang now also. It idles so low at times (around 250) with black smoke coming out of the pipes. When it starts this, it also starts jolting in first gear when coming off a stop. I have taken it in multiple times only to be told they can find nothing wrong and they find no codes. The first time I had the problem they found nothing. the second time the replaced something on my Cat. it has happened THREE times, the latest being last Saturday. I took it straight to the dealership. Again was told if the check engine light does not come on then there is nothing they can do. I don't know a lot about the mechanics of cars, but I do know when something is wrong with my car! I miss my dad at times like these. you could tell him what it was doing and he'd fix it. These people are telling me that cant be done anymore.... which is sad because now I am outside the 36000 mile portion of my warranty.
I have called Ford themselves and have been given a case number, so I am hoping they do something before I am stuck with a broken car
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

See if you can find a high performance shop in your area my 2011 GT is out of warranty and the speed shop in my area is the BEST,100% better than Ford.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page