2014 Mustang GT Engine Misfire - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2014 Mustang GT Engine Misfire

I have a 2014 GT and had the engine misfire, loss of power problem. Took to dealer( they still have it) and first they said it didn't show any codes. Then they took for test drive and hooked up a lap top and it showed misfire history( but car drove fine, according to dealer) I presented them with the TSB that's out for this problem and was told my VIN number didn't qualify for it. Now they tell me those infamous dealer words " we can no duplicate the problem " ? If its happened once, it's just a matter of time until it happens again. I don't know what to do at this point ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
When do you have a loss of power ?

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014
GT Member

I have a 2013 GT and I also had the same strange thing happen to me once. It was a long while ago. What I remember is I was away from home about .5 to .75 miles away and started my car and it was not running smooth at all and engine was missing so I limped it home. I shut it off, then went to check the forums online for any information. I may have checked and found a code with my tuner but I don't remember now. Anyway I started it and it ran fine. Never did it again.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014
GT Member

Ok I just checked the pics on my phone that showed the trouble codes. P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected. And P0316 Misfire detected on startup. The date was 8/24/13.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Update: I sent dealer copy of previous post from this forum that duplicated my experience and that CSM had contacted Ford engineers to see if Ford would cover the TSB fix. So I tried the same thing after my dealer told me "they could not duplicate". Ford engineers told my dealer to go ahead and perform the TSB, even thought my VIN did not match any TSB's, which my dealer did do.
As for the misfire, it came out of no where after car had been sitting in a parking lot for an hour. I started the car and it was shaking and felt like it was running on about 6 cylinders. Limped back home and had it transported to dealer which is 20 miles away from me. So, this is an intermittent problem with this engine . Now I wait and see if it is going to happen again. Not a good feeling after only 3100 miles.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

Sounds like a defective coil on #2 cylinder. Usually happens on misfires (especially when intermittent). My 2 cents and logic worth....

Diggerpine

2011 5.0 GT Coupe/Kona Blue/6-Spd Manual/3.73 ...
GT-500 Touring Axle-Backs/DG Window Louvers/CDC Shaker Hood Intake/Hurst Billet + Shifter/Custom Hood Spear Stripes/Redline Hood Struts/GT-500 Injectors/Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger/ Eaton Detroit Truetrac Diff/FRRP 3.73s', D/R Aluminum Diff. Cover...

The Fun!...depends on my right foot...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
PONY Member

The TSB is just a $5 o-ring on the crank position sensor that plugs in to the rear end of the engine block. Its stupid of the dealer to refuse to do it - its 15 minutes of labor for the tech to replace the o-ring and a few more minutes to do a re-learn.

2011 Mustang GT M6 3.31s

Matt HONEYCUTT Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 axlebacks, J&M LCAs, UPR UCA, Whiteline LCA relocation brackets, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Strut Tower Brace

Best 1/4 E/T (05/18/14 MIR - no tune, X-pipe, or UCA): 12.920 @ 109.40 mph (2.059 60ft)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014
Californicajun

Have you had any trans work or driveshaft work done at all?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatopotomus View Post
The TSB is just a $5 o-ring on the crank position sensor that plugs in to the rear end of the engine block. Its stupid of the dealer to refuse to do it - its 15 minutes of labor for the tech to replace the o-ring and a few more minutes to do a re-learn.
Agreed on this. I had a similar problem at 1,100 miles. Not only did the TSB make the misfire issue go away, but also smoothed out the car's tendency to lurch soon after start up with slight throttle tip-in.

Black 2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 w/401A package and 3.31s

Black 2000 Mustang GT (owned 2001-2013, sold at 177,000 miles)

Brown 1971 Triumph TR6
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dealer would have done it at their shop rate of $90.00ph. That's when the post on this forum saved me that expense, because I would have paid to have it done ! My car is stock from factory, no custom work on engine or exhaust has been done. Interesting Scotty's post on lurching after start-up. Mine does that when cold, but haven't had chance to try it again after TSB done.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleyd View Post
Interesting Scotty's post on lurching after start-up. Mine does that when cold, but haven't had chance to try it again after TSB done.
Mine still does this on occasion, but it's no longer nearly as frequent. I also noticed that it happened more frequently when I ran a few tanks of 87 through it.

High octane (92+) seems the smoothest-running with no flat spots, but for my day-to-day commute I have settled in nicely with 89, and the drive-ability is just fine.

When the lurch happens now, it's right after start-up, if I am really going light on the throttle tip-in. Again, it doesn't happen that often. And from what I understand it's a common characteristic of this car. Solution - bury the gas pedal and do a smoky burnout out of the office parking lot in front of all your co-workers.

Black 2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 w/401A package and 3.31s

Black 2000 Mustang GT (owned 2001-2013, sold at 177,000 miles)

Brown 1971 Triumph TR6
Californicajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScotty View Post
Solution - bury the gas pedal and do a smoky burnout out of the office parking lot in front of all your co-workers.
LOL, that'll do it !!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Another new problem!

The fun never ends. Last night on way home the " Service Engine Soon" light came on. After reviewing the manual, it's the
OBD-II system that monitors the emission control system in the car. But, the manual also gives a scary warning that "under engine misfire conditions" ( the reason my car was at the dealer in the first place) it could cause damage to the catalytic converter, fuel system, interior floor coverings ?, and possibly a fire !
?

Back to the dealer tomorrow !
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleyd View Post
The fun never ends. Last night on way home the " Service Engine Soon" light came on. After reviewing the manual, it's the
OBD-II system that monitors the emission control system in the car. But, the manual also gives a scary warning that "under engine misfire conditions" ( the reason my car was at the dealer in the first place) it could cause damage to the catalytic converter, fuel system, interior floor coverings ?, and possibly a fire !
?

Back to the dealer tomorrow !
Let me try and help you out here,I live in San Carlos Park Florida,I was a mechanic for 35 years before I got old and retired I own a 2011 GT,if you want to get your Mustang fixed right the first time and with some of the greatest and best mechanics, take your Mustang up to LANGFORD FORD in Labelle,I bought my Stang at Sam Galloway Ford 4.5 years ago and the car has NEVER been back there, and Coc Point Ford is NO better,LANGFORD IS THE BEST,try it and you will see the difference. Good luck.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Let me try and help you out here,I live in San Carlos Park Florida,I was a mechanic for 35 years before I got old and retired I own a 2011 GT,if you want to get your Mustang fixed right the first time and with some of the greatest and best mechanics, take your Mustang up to LANGFORD FORD in Labelle,I bought my Stang at Sam Galloway Ford 4.5 years ago and the car has NEVER been back there, and Coc Point Ford is NO better,LANGFORD IS THE BEST,try it and you will see the difference. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Lets just say, I got my car at the same dealer as you ! And I didn't really want to go back to them, because they pissed me off when I bought the car. But, under the circumstances, they were the closest when it came to getting my car towed to a dealer with the misfire problem. I am going to check into the dealer you recommend .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page