My 2013 Boss' 1.5 month long "BBQ Ticking" Story - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
S197 Member

Sorry OP, did you have the normal tick, or BBQ tick, cause they seem to be different.
The guy who did the S/C had the BBQ tick, he wasn't sure why the tick went away, but they really feel it was the injector.

I highly doubt the bearings caused that sound, but at least they identified a serious issue.

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Did you ever roadrace the car? My engine builder has had new (STOCK!) BOSS 302s come to his shop with blown motors after open tracking them.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #18 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

@TheJMan48

Sorry I need to update my profile. I've moved to the Bay Area since joining. I took it to Towne Ford in Redwood City.

@Sharad

Never road raced it but I don't treat it like a princess either. Does your builder know what the weak point is with these motors? Any pattern with how they're blowing up?

2013 GHIG Boss 302 Recaro
1997 4Runner SR5

post #19 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

I was without the car 6.5 weeks. They put about 150 miles on the car and even charged me for the gas they needed to put in it while they diagnosed it. I never asked for a rental and when I called Ford corporate to discuss the case and possibly talk about warranty and other issues they referred me to a regional rep who never returned my 8 voice mails (over the span of 4 weeks).

It was awesome.

2013 GHIG Boss 302 Recaro
1997 4Runner SR5
Apprentice

Contact Deysha on here. She did wonders when my car was in for drive line noise.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
PONY Member

Those main bearings look like they were oil starved. The crank appears not to be floating on the correct film of oil. Cause: excessive main bearing clearance. The wear is clearly shown in the upper and lower part of the mains indicating the crank was "thumping" up and down. This engine was in the beginning stages of failure, in time one of those mains would seize and spin. A properly lubricated main should show no "wear", a bearing with 8K miles should look new.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
PONY Member

On a second look see you can still see the "Ghost" outline of the plastigage where the technician checked clearance, AND it looks OK. So that leads me to believe the journal might be out of round, SOMETHING is definitely not right there, that wear is not NORMAL. I've opened engines with 100K that show better looking bearings.

Rookie

I can't see how the crank could be causing a tick 99/100 times its in the heads.

With all of the chains and variable cams and gears i say valve train.

I've been a vw audi tech for 12 yrs and every time I've had to diag an fix a tick its always been head/valve train related.

Last edited by kenv; 09-12-2014 at 11:35 PM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttoyo View Post
@Sharad

Never road raced it but I don't treat it like a princess either. Does your builder know what the weak point is with these motors? Any pattern with how they're blowing up?
He said Ford went abnormally tight on the top ring gap. (presumably for EPA reasons) He's seen it as low at .006". He says the ends of the ring butt up against each other, push the ring out, and it all goes downhill from there.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttoyo View Post
I was without the car 6.5 weeks. They put about 150 miles on the car and even charged me for the gas they needed to put in it while they diagnosed it. I never asked for a rental and when I called Ford corporate to discuss the case and possibly talk about warranty and other issues they referred me to a regional rep who never returned my 8 voice mails (over the span of 4 weeks).

It was awesome.
Yikes.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Appaloosa View Post
Awesome!! This is the exact excuse I'm going to use to sell my wife on my I need to get a Whipple

OP I hope it all works out for you..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californicajun View Post
I'll use that excuse too, that's a good one.
THAT excuse wouldn't work so well for me, because then I would have to get TWO!!

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13 View Post
Those main bearings look like they were oil starved. The crank appears not to be floating on the correct film of oil. Cause: excessive main bearing clearance. The wear is clearly shown in the upper and lower part of the mains indicating the crank was "thumping" up and down. This engine was in the beginning stages of failure, in time one of those mains would seize and spin. A properly lubricated main should show no "wear", a bearing with 8K miles should look new.
WHAT are you talking about there's no pic of upper bearing. From what I'm seeing it's normal bearing also it's not tri-metal bearing. Part it did wear through just over lay to protect the bearing. Excess bearing clearance crank won't tick you get low end knock. But I mean it has to be excess to get that noise. Do you really think crank rides on firm of oil LOL. It slides across the bearing oil just helps it plus take heat out of bearing/crank to help it from overheating/galling up. I'm not seeing signs of oil starvation. I see bearings in heavy truck engines with million miles look just like that and crank is perfect.

They may have just told him something and then just replace it whole engine never telling him real reason.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
He said Ford went abnormally tight on the top ring gap. (presumably for EPA reasons) He's seen it as low at .006". He says the ends of the ring butt up against each other, push the ring out, and it all goes downhill from there.
That is tight, that ring end gap should be around .010 to .015. I've seen as high as .020 wthout oil consumption issues. I'm still puzzled about that odd scuffing on the mains though.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
WHAT are you talking about there's no pic of upper bearing. From what I'm seeing it's normal bearing also it's not tri-metal bearing. Part it did wear through just over lay to protect the bearing. Excess bearing clearance crank won't tick you get low end knock. But I mean it has to be excess to get that noise. Do you really think crank rides on firm of oil LOL. It slides across the bearing oil just helps it plus take heat out of bearing/crank to help it from overheating/galling up. I'm not seeing signs of oil starvation. I see bearings in heavy truck engines with million miles look just like that and crank is perfect.

They may have just told him something and then just replace it whole engine never telling him real reason.
When you have a pump putting out 40 psi of oil in main bearing with a total clearance of .0017 to .0023, (two pieces roughly of human hair) YES,
the crank does "float" on that film of oil.

Pour some on your garage floor, get a running start and you'll float on a film of oil too! The oil literally holds you off the floor for a second or two. A car hydroplanes on a film of water, it is literally lifted off the ground by water. Oil pumped in a confined place does "float" an object, ever hear of hydraulics?

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13 View Post
When you have a pump putting out 40 psi of oil in main bearing with a total clearance of .0017 to .0023, (two pieces roughly of human hair) YES,
the crank does "float" on that film of oil.

Pour some on your garage floor, get a running start and you'll float on a film of oil too! The oil literally holds you off the floor for a second or two. A car hydroplanes on a film of water, it is literally lifted off the ground by water. Oil pumped in a confined place does "float" an object, ever hear of hydraulics?
It doesn't exactly float you don't know what your talking about lol. Clearances is controlled leak it's not trapped there like oil is in hyd cyl . Then how does engine that never shut off wear the bearings at 80 psi of oil pressure . But believe what you want but I do this for a living.

FYI human hair measures .002-.003 on avg

Last edited by pdmustgt; 09-22-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page