My 2013 Boss' 1.5 month long "BBQ Ticking" Story - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

We removed the oil pan again to do further investigation and found #2 cylinder scored about 1/4 travel from the top. It looks nasty but can't determin depth of damage until head and piston is removed. This really sucks. This should not be happening on a new engine. Like I said Ford is getting losy parts and their QA department isn't doing their jobs!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

You don't know exactly what the cause was. If what you say was true we all would have same issue. Guessing at the problem doesn't solve anything just spreads more bad info.

Glad you found issue not put it in have to take it out again. Every scored cyl I've heard knocked wasn't no tick sound

Apprentice

from all the tech articles I've ever read. Scoring of cylinders is usually a cause of insufficient lubrication. Was this the cause well I guess I'll never really know that since the engine wasn't mine from the start, and I doubt the last owner not being a tech would of ever know him self. on the light side the repair might be rehone, new piston and rings plus gaskets.

GT Member

Seen scored cyl from piston pins rubbing cyl, piston pin snap ring come out of place, stuck ring from carbon packing or way they were installed, ring can catch at the top when piston/rod was installed in the engine, then orings on the liner rolled out of place (wet liner engine). Then there's tuning was it ran lean? There's plenty of oil being splashed around
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Seen scored cyl from piston pins rubbing cyl, piston pin snap ring come out of place, stuck ring from carbon packing or way they were installed, ring can catch at the top when piston/rod was installed in the engine, then orings on the liner rolled out of place (wet liner engine). Then there's tuning was it ran lean? There's plenty of oil being splashed around
The engine came from a stock truck its an F150 5.0. The guy bought the truck new 4x4 no tune. If he telling the truth, i'll never know but I'm going to take his word for it. The bad tune as you put it puts the #8 cylinder in jeopardy not #2 which is the bad cylinder in this case. A bad ring absolutely I'll buy that. But why after the first oil change? The ford tech I spoke to says some 5.0 are experiencing cylinder distortion as he puts it to what degree I can't say. He also said its usually the #3. Distortion to me is excessive clearance, not scoring I'll try to take a pic of the cylinder to post the findings. Like I said this shouldn't be happening at 31k, too new.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Couldn't that distortion involve a cylinder bore going oval, meaning too much clearance in some places and not enough in others?

On edit, I still don't know what 'BBQ' stands for here . . .

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Couldn't that distortion involve a cylinder bore going oval, meaning too much clearance in some places and not enough in others?

On edit, I still don't know what 'BBQ' stands for here . . .

Norm
By definition of distortion. Yes thats exactly what it means, can this be the issue maybe but other tell signs usually follow. Oil usage is one, and normally seen at some point. I told the tech thats help me that I believe the wear in my cylinder looks more like stain, from the engine sitting awhile after it was removed. He says then it would show on other cylinders as well, which isn't the case of course. I performed a cylinder leak down test on the particular bore and it yield less than 5% cylinder leakage. Meaning its holding more that 95% of its pressure. Thats excellent. So how can it be a scorned cylinder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_121717.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	617.3 KB
ID:	408545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_121722.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	719.1 KB
ID:	408553  

Last edited by rob47v; 01-19-2015 at 10:08 PM.
GT Member

It doesn't distort like that not even close to oval. Block may distort around head bolt area in the block like .0005-.001 in most cases in 4 spots. Never causing pistons to seize or scuff just maybe down very small faction of power. Problem is where head bolts anchor in upper part of the cyl like smallblock and bigblock ford in all out race engines. Where this distortion was in upper part of the cylinder where combustion takes place. Distortion in lower part of cyl doesn't hurt power but these newer engines head bolts anchor in strongest part of the block where main bearing bulk head and cyl's tie in at
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Do we really know how close to round any cylinder bore remains as the block warms up? Particularly if there's a casting flaw that affects heat flow and temperature distribution (and hence expansions/distortions)?

"Oval" was the best word I could come up with to mean "not quite round". Not visibly oval or necessarily even a nice symmetrical non-round shape. You guys have a deeper level of engine building experience than me (I do have a little), but the thermal transient analysis work I did from time to time before retiring gives me a fair idea what might be happening.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
GT Member

Norm I believe they mean a "BBQ Grill Igniter Tick" sound. Like if you have a grill with an auto-light function and you push the button and it clicks or ticks.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thanks. Not a sound that I would expect to be generated by any of the larger engine components.

There are way too many acronyms to keep track of these days.

Norm

GT Member

Quote:
Do we really know how close to round any cylinder bore remains as the block warms up? Particularly if there's a casting flaw that affects heat flow and temperature distribution (and hence expansions/distortions)?

"Oval" was the best word I could come up with to mean "not quite round". Not visibly oval or necessarily even a nice symmetrical non-round shape. You guys have a deeper level of engine building experience than me (I do have a little), but the thermal transient analysis work I did from time to time before retiring gives me a fair idea what might be happening.

Norm
Yes I understand all of that too. Flaw in the block possible that got through. But they x-ray blocks to check for core shift well at least one from each batch. Well pistons are not round the cam shape in tell they get temp in them especially forged pistons they grow hint reason why there set with more clearance when cold
PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks. Not a sound that I would expect to be generated by any of the larger engine components.

There are way too many acronyms to keep track of these days.

Norm
And many of us started getting this tick (bbq igniter) right after an oil change - Mine started right after the first oil change. Why would just an oil change cause such damage to some of the engine components mentioned? And so soon?

btw - I have a 2014 with track pack (100% stock) and dealer used motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic as specified in the user manual and oil filler cap.

Although very puzzled by the cause/start in some cases being just an oil change - also concerned if it is doing any damage to the engine or just a noise.

Last edited by Rogan01; 01-21-2015 at 02:00 PM.
GT Member

That is a very good question. Could it have something to do with the oil pump system losing it's prime and getting air trapped in the system? It really sounds like it might be a lack of lubrication somewhere if it occurs after the oil pan is drained.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member

You are getting air in system in pickup tube when you drain the oil. But all engines do this when oil is changed it's not subject to only few engines

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page