My 2013 Boss' 1.5 month long "BBQ Ticking" Story - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I took my engine to a very reputable machine shop I've used for years these guys have never done me wrong with any work I've ever taken to them. They advised me to look somewhere else, that the cylinder in question tho showing sings of marking, is not scored. They said that a scored cylinder normally will transfer its heat over to the piston skirt. Which of course ist the case with this cylinder in question. He also said that a sored cylinder , and I already knew this will not hold pressure like this cylinder is doing. He believes the isuues are valve train related since their showing after oil changes, and that usually what comes about after oil changes. They said they understand that the modulars don't have the normal type of hyd lifters but that the hyd followers are still of hyd bleed type and carry the same principal of normal lifters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It just crossed my mind that maybe the cam phasers are somehow involved. So I did a search under "cam phaser noise" and got all kinds of hits for modular engines. Apparently there's even a kit to deal with this.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Apprentice

To elaborate on what the machine shop told me when they looked at my engine. A scored piston as previously mentioned will transfer heat and discolored the skirt which is like I said is not the case, its clean. Plus to add the cylinder is holding pressure. I hate doing this but per their advise. I will be installing the engine so that I could make a more elaborate synopsis of the engine noise. Instead of going by hear say, or simply by some other persons ears or interpretation. That and plus there aren't any parts for this thing except for the hi end speed shops which would break my wallet and might not offer any solution.

post #94 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Wanted to update this thread: Car now has 13,000 miles and the ticking has returned. Almost louder than it was before. Not sure what I want to do at this point...

2013 GHIG Boss 302 Recaro
1997 4Runner SR5
PONY Member

That's terrible news.

I know you feel sick about it and I feel sick for you as well.

I wonder if any correlation exists regarding the tick and Coyote engines that that don't show much oil useage over time vs Coyotes that burn a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so since new.

I don't seem to have the tick at this point and my engine has been doing at best 2300 miles per quart of oil since new. I have a total of 13,100 miles currently.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Apprentice

Yea both my engines burn/ed almost no oil. Second long block has same noise after oil change. Dealership blamed canister purge valve. I can't see that being the problem, but I had them do the work. I'll drive the car more to see if it worked. I really doubt it will. My guess, as others have said here and elsewhere, is they drove the piss out the car until the noise was less noticeable, and it will be just as strong as ever when I change the oil next.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttoyo View Post
Wanted to update this thread: Car now has 13,000 miles and the ticking has returned. Almost louder than it was before. Not sure what I want to do at this point...

If it were me, I would demand a complete new engine this time and not just a short block.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
That's terrible news.

I know you feel sick about it and I feel sick for you as well.

I wonder if any correlation exists regarding the tick and Coyote engines that that don't show much oil useage over time vs Coyotes that burn a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so since new.

I don't seem to have the tick at this point and my engine has been doing at best 2300 miles per quart of oil since new. I have a total of 13,100 miles currently.
Just thought I would chime in my 2013 5.0 drinks about a quart every 3,000 miles I now have just over 16,000 and "Tick" free.
Rookie

Unhappy JorgeDeSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob47v View Post
Internally the Gt engine and the boss engine are the same. Same poistons, crank block heads. With the difference being exhaust cams, and the intake system. The oil squirters are only but I could be wrong on the F150 engines to help minimize detonation during heavy towing. The knocking or ticking issue is also pleuged the F150 engines. Its a modular engine issue, doesn't discriminate according to the flavor of car.
I can attest to the fact that the ticking, slap sound did apply to my 2013 F150. Occasionally, it would ideal rough as well but not code an issue. Eventually this changed. First taking a check engine light that cleared. Then taking a second check engine light a couple of weeks later, I went to AutoZone to have the fault read. Their diagnosis was a Number 7 plug or coil. Hearing coil, I took it to the dealer as I have 53,000 miles on the vehicle and it was still under warranty. The dealer did a compression test which showed poor compression. They followed that up with a leak down test which was also less than desirable. Bore scoping Cylinder 7, the cylinder walls are scored. I am now waiting for the warranty process to run its course which to date my total time without the vehicle is three weeks.

For those in the know, can you shed more light on potential issues such as this. I have seen Ford's may be tend to have issues on Cylinders 6 & 7. Is this an oil starvation thing (possible windage control) or coolant path issue hampering the heat transfer from these cylinders? How is this affected by hypereutectic piston alloys? Has piston quality been an issue in the past leading to spalling on the skirt?

How common is this tick, piston slap issue? Is there some definitive information on this type of issue for the 5.0L modular?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page