My 2013 Boss' 1.5 month long "BBQ Ticking" Story - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

My 2013 Boss' 1.5 month long "BBQ Ticking" Story

So my Boss 302 started to making the infamous ticking noise around 8,000 miles. Like everyone else it got louder after a oil change. The Boss 302 requires the 5w50 and I always use the Motorcraft stuff. Well finally around 8,800 miles I've had enough as it was getting louder.

I dropped it off at the dealer 7/17/2014 and the dealer started its battery of tests. They drove it around with microphones, removed the accessory belt, changed out oil pump, the timing chain tensioners, and a few other things (forgot) and nothing worked. They did confirm it was coming from the front of the motor though.

Around late July they had a Ford tech fly in and confirm that we need to take the motor apart. I was not a happy camper but what am I to do at this point.

August they finally get the motor apart and find out the bearings towards the front of the block are not wearing evenly. This is causing crankshaft play (they say) and suspect it's the cause of the ticking sound.

Ford sent the dealer a new Boss 302 block and this last Friday (9/5/2014) I finally picked up the car.

Ticking is completely gone, car is running good so far. I suspect in another 8,000 miles it will come back but I won't concern myself with it and just turn up the radio. This was too much of a headache.

I know I am not very detailed with this, but I wanted to post something up for google searches as I searched for hours one night and always found threads with no conclusion. Just a bunch of dealers saying "sounds normal" or "this is common with the forged Boss 302 motors." Anyway let me know if you have any questions or want the part list that Ford wound up using (outside of a replacement assembled shortblock).

2013 GHIG Boss 302 Recaro
1997 4Runner SR5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Very interesting post. I was getting real tired of hearing the its normal explanation good to finally learn the cause. Thanks.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member

I have the tick, but was told mine is normal. Hopefully yours stays tick free. Thanks for the info.

Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Same here. I would absolutely DIE if someone took my complaint seriously! Have taken my vehicle to TWO different dealerships and both say it's normal engine/transmission sounds. Thanks for the post. Hope you are trouble free from here on.

2014 GT/CS - MT82 - 3.73 - 19's
Charcoal Interior - Glass Roof - Comfort Pkg - Electronic Pkg - Shaker Pro - No Mods
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member
S197 Member

I really appreciate you taking the time to post up your results and what happened. I'm tired of getting $0.05c answers from dealerships on this tick, personally. My car is a DD, 35k miles in less than two years, and still just over 20k left to pay off. I plan on putting at least another 150k miles on it, and I'd like to not be replacing an engine at 70k miles after the warranty has expired and not even having the thing paid off yet.

I'm worried this could wind up being the case, but i can't seem to get anyone to take me seriously and look into this issue for more than 60 seconds.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member

I have to wonder if the really short engineering time lead to this result.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
Rookie

OP can I ask which dealer did the work for you? I'm also in the Phoenix area and the closest dealer to me replaced the water pump and drive belt which didn't fix the ticking, so they gave it back to me and said to bring it back if it got any worse. Looking for a second opinion from another dealer. Thanks!
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member

Being adamant is the key here. If a dealership says it's normal, just say "OK, find me a used 201x GT on your lot, and I want you to take test drive with it right now to prove that it's normal".... Go for the test drive and listen. If same noise isn't there, it's NOT normal. Try 2 more used GTs just to make sure.

Also ask them if they'd sell a used car making that same noise, or offer top-dollar on a trade in if it had that noise..... because it's "normal". Try doing a trade and say that when they question the noise at trade-in time. See what they say THEN.
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
Apprentice

Oh my, if this were mine I would be very nervous of a disassembled engine. Did they replace the block or the whole short block? They would be extending my warranty if this were mine.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyyci View Post
Oh my, if this were mine I would be very nervous of a disassembled engine. Did they replace the block or the whole short block? They would be extending my warranty if this were mine.
Yes I agree strongly - I'm nervous to take it in for an oil change & have it returned all scratched up with them saying we gave you a free wash - and find out it is the wash kids first day on the job.

I'd really love someone with the tick to use Lucas TB Zinc break in oil additive to see if the tick goes away - if my suspicions are right it will disappear completely.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
GT Member
S197 Member

I was reading another post of a person that had the tick, he installed a supercharger and the tick went away, they think the tick comes from the injectors, and since he switched his out, it was all good.

I would say, anybody with the tick, have the injectors checked, or get a mech stethoscope and see if they can pinpoint it

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
I was reading another post of a person that had the tick, he installed a supercharger and the tick went away, they think the tick comes from the injectors, and since he switched his out, it was all good.

I would say, anybody with the tick, have the injectors checked, or get a mech stethoscope and see if they can pinpoint it
Awesome!! This is the exact excuse I'm going to use to sell my wife on my I need to get a Whipple

OP I hope it all works out for you..

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Grabber Blue - Borla S Type Catback - 20" Matte Black AG M310's - Koni "Yellows" - Sportlines - Steeda HD Mounts - BMR ADJ PHB
Banned

What was the total amount of time you were without the car?

Did they offer you a free rental?
Californicajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Appaloosa View Post
Awesome!! This is the exact excuse I'm going to use to sell my wife on my I need to get a Whipple

OP I hope it all works out for you..
I'll use that excuse too, that's a good one.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Just don't see how an oil change affects the injectors making noise! But I do like the supercharger method of resolving this!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page