Lowering Clutch Pedal Effort? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntoy View Post
A friend with a '12 commented on how much better the pedal feels in my '14 and asked if I had changed it somehow. Apparently Ford changed something, perhaps, in the 13-14 model years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
I stumbled across a DIY upgrade for the clutch tube (after I installed mine of course). I bought a stainless braided clutch line and put it in. then read that you can open up the ends with a slightly larger drill bit to allow more fluid in to the slave cylinder and possibly taking some of the firmness out of the pedal.
Now I'm wondering if Ford made a larger diameter hydraulic clutch tube......whatever that is.

bl817, do you remember where you read that? Any more info?

Hmmmmm.......we might be getting somewhere.

Thanks for the info!!!!

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A guy at work test drove a 15 yesterday and mentioned how light the clutch is so I guess there is something to this.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Is there any cheap/easy way of making the clutch pedal lighter?
Squats

2013 Mustang GT Premium (6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, GT500 axle-backs, no resonators), 1998 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

sai
Rookie

may be 2015 models have a different master/slave assembly, or different flywheel/pressure plate assembly or both, I am looking to lighten the clutch pedal effort too in my 12 gt, I have tried jhr clutch line and removed assist spring, had dealer replace the clutch disc, all these efforts made it more stiffer but good feel, pressing the clutch is no problem no matter how hard it is, holding it and slowly releasing it is the real challenge, especially in ****** bumper to bumper traffic, it is not safe on ankle and knee too.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai View Post
, it is not safe on ankle and knee too.
?
sai
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
?
Driving stick? Pros and cons for manual transmissions - NY Daily News

My uncle had knee issues driving a truck with manual for long time.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai View Post

My uncle had knee issues driving a truck with manual for long time.
Never driven a truck but I've driven pickups with very long and heavy clutch pedals and for my 5'9" frame I've had to sit fairly close to the wheel to fully depress the clutch without feeling like I have dislocate my hip to do so. I might buy a justification like that in larger vehicles. Maybe. But not in a modern Mustang with a relatively short pedal travel and light pedal pressure, even with the assist spring removed. Unless there is another underlying joint condition that could cause problems...
sai
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Never driven a truck but I've driven pickups with very long and heavy clutch pedals and for my 5'9" frame I've had to sit fairly close to the wheel to fully depress the clutch without feeling like I have dislocate my hip to do so. I might buy a justification like that in larger vehicles. Maybe. But not in a modern Mustang with a relatively short pedal travel and light pedal pressure, even with the assist spring removed. Unless there is another underlying joint condition that could cause problems...
clutch pedal travel is too much in mustangs atleast on 2011-2014, many people on these forums got pedal extensions, pedal height is the worse part, usually clutch pedals are so light they can be pressed with the toe, I have driven neighbors 04 cobra with a cable clutch,it has less pedal travel, I agree on pedal lightness, some mustangs I have driven at dealerships and tried my buddy's car, I have also driven pete's car who is a member in this forum, they all feel very light compared to mine.my wife literally stands on the clutch pedal to operate it, I bought a 2015 accord hybrid for her coz she can't drive mustang.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I've done the pedal extension, it didn't work for me. I replaced the clutch line with a SS unit. And although it shifts better, the pedal is still too heavy.

Seriously, there should be an answer for this. I can't believe there's no after-market solution.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
I've done the pedal extension, it didn't work for me. I replaced the clutch line with a SS unit. And although it shifts better, the pedal is still too heavy.

Seriously, there should be an answer for this. I can't believe there's no after-market solution.
Have you removed the clutch assist spring or replace it with a lighter weight one?

2011 V6 Mustang - Premium 202A Spec (Pony Package) - SOLD!

2014 V8 Mustang - Premium 400A Spec
6 Speed Manual, 3.31 Rear
Black, Charcoal Black
Comfort Package, Security System
GT Member

Steeda makes a lighter spring now also. There was a thread in this forum within the past 2 months discussing that spring and the removal of the OEM spring.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page