Rookie

Sorry 20's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Did you have to remove or modify the bump stop brackets where they stick out toward the wheels? It's likely less of an issue with your 20x11's than with 18x11's like mine, though it might still be something that gets in the way when you're removing or installing the wheels. Mostly, that bulging bit of metal is for some sort of shipping tie-down that uses the hole and needs space behind it to hook to.

I also ended up trimming the length of the shock boots (Koni yellows, if that matters).

The PHB length - and the stiffness of its bushings - does get pretty important with 11" wide wheels.

Norm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	1,014.7 KB
ID:	420242  

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak196 View Post
Apparently im going to destroy my car. I jack up the front using the center of the k member and the rear using the pumpkin.
Odd, I was asking last year and got a different answer:

See 3-31-2014 in this link:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustangs-2.html

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun94 View Post
Odd, I was asking last year and got a different answer:

See 3-31-2014 in this link:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustangs-2.html
I also found this:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nt-cradle.html
Rookie

Norm, didn't have to trim anything, although it's pretty tight back there. I have a BMR adjustable panhard bar as well. I'm not too keen on hacking the bump stop pads and my only issue is I have to get wheels off the ground with the suspension loaded to remove wheels, not a biggie. I've been using the diff (torsen) and want to start using that spreader beam from HF but need to fab some saddles to place under the tubes first. The last tine I used it on the front it had a pretty good bow in it so I'm going to weld it and maybe even add a couple flat bars to make it a little more rigid. Now that presents another problem because it will be too wide to use on the rear axle tubes. I'll have to buy a second one, get it with one of their 20% coupons.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Will you have enough clearance to cover the situation where the rear suspension unloads unexpectedly?

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
Rookie

Steeda puts this combo on their Q650 mustang, I guess we'll see!!!
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Truth be told, I was hoping I wouldn't have to trim the brackets either. That lasted less than halfway through my trial-fit-and-see exercise. No way was I going to put myself in the position of having to jack the car up in such a specific manner for periodic tire rotations and brake bleedings . . . or at the side of the road.

Norm

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
Apprentice

Quick question for ya'll in regarding to jacking up the car.

The first time I used a lift on base to install my axlebacks I noticed I couldn't use the four point lift in the front as the front pads hit the rocker panel before they touch the pinch weld lift points. Unfortunately the base didn't have any adapters to convert the front pads to pinch weld lifts. I opted to lift the car using the front cross members and rear pinch welds (no conflict with rocker panels). I've now read that jacking up the car on the cross members can cause uni-body damage. Do you think any damage was done the one time I did this? Future lifts for oil changes and other work I used the drive on lift. Unfortunately I'm not home right now, nor while I be for a while to inspect the car.

Thanks in advance.
Rookie

on my 13 it looks like if you cut those away there isn't a landing spot for the rear jounce stop bumpers.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
What I finally ended up with was this ↓↓↓ . The portion that the bump stop lands on does have some 'shape' to it that gives it considerably more strength than if it was only a flat strip tacked only under that short horizontal length.

Axle centering could be a concern, and if you're lowered you'd want to favor getting better overall centering of the bumpstops over getting "perfect" external appearance centering.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear bumpstop bracket mod picture 2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	421370  

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
Rookie

Well the snow finally melted enough for me to get the car out on the road. The car now has "0" wheel hop and that makes me smile. It was in the 40's and traction was limited with the Nitto NT05 tires.
kv2
Rookie

Question guys... My floor jack wont reach all th way to the frame rail for the front, and cant use the pinch wields cause the plastic is hanging lower. Is it safe to jack the metal frame thing directly adjacent to the pinch wields, running along side it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150506_212956659_HDR.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	435585  
Rookie

Try a set of these jackpads from zl1addons.com. No damage to the pinch weld and won't crush the plastic.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv2 View Post
Question guys... My floor jack wont reach all th way to the frame rail for the front, and cant use the pinch wields cause the plastic is hanging lower. Is it safe to jack the metal frame thing directly adjacent to the pinch wields, running along side it?
I would not do it. I recommend the jack pads.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3 Lifting Device options at Pinch Welds.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	435713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Larger Jack and 2x4 Wood Shim for Frame Rail.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	669.1 KB
ID:	435721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Larger Jack and Universal Mustang Jack Pad.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	671.6 KB
ID:	435729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small jack with Wood Shim.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	606.1 KB
ID:	435737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Jack, round wood shim, and jack pad .jpg
Views:	148
Size:	640.5 KB
ID:	435745  

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page