MGW Race Spec Shifter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

MGW Race Spec Shifter

I was checking out the MGW web site and I see they have a revised shifter for the MT-82 with some 'upgrades' from what I saw on there about 6 months ago. It looks solid, but solid appears to come with a price. Is this a buy once cry once shifter that is worth the extra coin, or would it be better to give a closer look at the Barton or SR Performance?

If it is worth the coin I'd just as soon spend it once.

Thanks for any input!

midwest
Mine:
2014 GT
My Son's
2000 GT
98 GT
Other Son
94 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015
Rookie

I've had the MGW race spec shifter in for about a month now, and I love it. The shift throws are shorter and much more confidence inspiring. Haven't had a missed shift under cornering load yet. I think that it pays to do it right the first time, rather than putting in a shifter, then later deciding that you need a blowfish bracket or some other bracing.

2012 GT 6MT Sterling Grey | Brembo Pkg | Premium Pkg
Bilstein dampers / Ford K springs / Vorshlag camber plates / BMR sway bars, LCAs & brackets, UCA & mount, panhard bar / Steeda rims & Michelin PSS
MGW race spec shifter / Whiteline insert / DSS aluminum driveshaft / stainless brake lines, HPS pads, SRF fluid, GT500 rear rotors
Roush TVS / Boss oil cooler / GT500 axle backs / varous audio, aesthetic and comfort stuff
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015
PONY Member

So what exactly are all the parts you should replace? Do they come as a package? Included with shifter?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015
GT Member

Race-Spec MT-82 SHORT THROW SHIFTER

Start your own research above.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015
Rookie

The only other part I used related to the shifting was the Whiteline transmission mount insert:

Whiteline Suspension Parts - Part Number KDT928 - Positive Shift Kit - 5.0 and 5.4L Engines

2012 GT 6MT Sterling Grey | Brembo Pkg | Premium Pkg
Bilstein dampers / Ford K springs / Vorshlag camber plates / BMR sway bars, LCAs & brackets, UCA & mount, panhard bar / Steeda rims & Michelin PSS
MGW race spec shifter / Whiteline insert / DSS aluminum driveshaft / stainless brake lines, HPS pads, SRF fluid, GT500 rear rotors
Roush TVS / Boss oil cooler / GT500 axle backs / varous audio, aesthetic and comfort stuff
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R T-Rex View Post
The only other part I used related to the shifting was the Whiteline transmission mount insert:

Whiteline Suspension Parts - Part Number KDT928 - Positive Shift Kit - 5.0 and 5.4L Engines
Good info R T. I appreciate it. I had not seen Whiteline transmission mount insert before... I will be looking in to that.

Thanks!

midwest
Mine:
2014 GT
My Son's
2000 GT
98 GT
Other Son
94 V6
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
I was checking out the MGW web site and I see they have a revised shifter for the MT-82 with some 'upgrades' from what I saw on there about 6 months ago. It looks solid, but solid appears to come with a price. Is this a buy once cry once shifter that is worth the extra coin, or would it be better to give a closer look at the Barton or SR Performance?

If it is worth the coin I'd just as soon spend it once.

Thanks for any input!
Hey midwest,

Although I have heard nothing but good feedback about the MGW setup, I personally run the Barton Industries Short Shifter and Two-Post Bracket setup myself and absolutely love it!

It completely transformed my driving experience and I have yet to be locked out of any gear or had any trouble getting into gear, it's like butter!

I do not think you will be disappointed with either setup but if cost is your concern, I would go with Barton.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015
PONY Member

Of course you would, Will. It's a good shifter... and you guys don't sell MGW.

2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium with silver stripes / MT-82 / Brembo / Recaro
Steeda Sports | Koni Yellows | BMR Panhard and LCA Brackets
MGW shifter | Borla S-types
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015
GT Member

I've driven cars with both the Barton and MGW. Mine has the MGW if that says anything.
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntoy View Post
Of course you would, Will. It's a good shifter... and you guys don't sell MGW.
Hey Tn,

You are correct as MGW only sells direct!

I have driven cars with both shifters and they are both great! You cannot go wrong either way.

I went with Barton on my car and have not been disappointed.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
GT Member

I have the first generation Race Spec, the one introduced in December, and it is simply amazing, my mt82 is having issues so I havent been able to fully enjoy the Race Spec, but it is simply amazing and a work of art.

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you all for the input. I ordered the MGW and the Whiteline bushing. Should be here in a couple weeks.

midwest
Mine:
2014 GT
My Son's
2000 GT
98 GT
Other Son
94 V6
Apprentice

Garage
I have the whiteline bushing in my tranny mount and you get a little more vibration, noticed a minor change in shifting up high in the RPM band but nothing too drastic.

Lots of parts. Still slow
PONY Member

Garage
Once you de-couple the shifter from the body with the MGW race spec or any other shifter, including the Gen 1 MGW, with a BlowFish bracket, I'm not sure the Whitline bushing is doing anything for you other than increasing NVH.

With a body mounted shifter I can see where that bushing would help reduce drivetrain movement and misalignment.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Rookie

Ditto on the Whiteline transmission mount, I'll have to check into that too.

2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #387
1971 Boss 351 Mustang
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
1968 AMC AMX 390 Go-Pack
1963 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page