Ford Mustang Forum banner

oiled cold air filter vs dry cold air filter

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  tamboRL 
#1 ·
i installed a muffler delete, barton short shifter and bracket on my 2014 GT. i wanted a K&N cold air intake and i was discovered 2 types of filter. what are the advantage disadvantage of the dry or oiled filter on the cold air intake?

G
#2 · (Edited)
I think they work the exact same. One is basically a reuseable filter element (oiled) and the dry element is a disposable one after some time and a few cleanings.
I have only ever owned the dry type. They work perfect and can be lightly blown out with air or vacuumed clean and reused a few times. Mine has lasted over 14 months and it stays clean.

#5 ·
I think they work the exact same. One is basically a reuseable filter element (oiled) and the dry element is a disposable one.
I have only ever owned the dry type. They work perfect and can be blown out with an air gun and reused a few times. Mine has lasted over 14 months and it stays clean.
thats not true, there are plenty of washable and reusable dry filters out there (aem and afe off the top of my head, but there are more)

#6 ·
I've got an AirAid SynthMax filter that is the non-oiled version. Is is reuseable. And yes, the dry one is designed to keep oil out of your intake. They are probably not any better than stock filters, but can be reused obviously.

Pete

#9 ·
that you for the input guys, i think I'm going for the dry filter

#12 ·
This is worth reading. It was done using filters for a Duramax diesel but it's still useful information. I still use the paper element style filter and will continue to do so.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report
I skimmed that quickly, great data, but I could not find which of the test filters are oiled and which are dry? Maybe I missed it?

I thought the idea of the oiled filters is that they catch more dirt with less restriction because the oil makes them "sticky."

I am using an oiled filter right now but have no great loyalty to it; I've never had a problem with gumming up my intake or MAF.

#11 ·
That is a VERY good read, thanks Blazin72 !!!!

#14 ·
gross generalization from that test data:

the least efficient filters are also the least restrictive

(which fits the screen analogy perfectly)

and, the oil is not magic -- the oiled filter follow the same basic rule as the others, as generalized above

#17 ·
I'm running a AFE dry inverted filter in stock box. It was 50 shipped and never have to replace an air filter again. Did it gain a bunch of power....no probably not. But, opening my grill area to allow more air into the intake tube sure did not hurt. :)

#18 ·
how did you open the grill area? can you post a photo? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.